Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Exercise and Equipment Looking into a stair climber? Maybe a treadmill? Talk to others here and ask their opinions.

Old 07-20-2002, 09:50 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Treadmill

I just got a treadmill. Anyone have any suggestions on how often to use it?
Old 07-20-2002, 11:25 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

No problem! I am using it to lose the 50 pounds of extra weight on me. My Mom is using it to increase her circulation. It is actually my Mom's, but it's at my house, cause she has no room for it. We only live two houses apart.
Old 07-27-2002, 06:38 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Recent studies have shown....

Good for you for taking the first step!

Doctors have been telling patients for years that they need to exercise with an increased heart rate for thirty minutes three times a week to receive cardiovascular (and weight loss) benefits.

A recent study showed that you can walk that you can break up that 30 minutes into smaller increments. As long as those increments total 30 minutes in a day, it's just as good as 30 minutes straight.

So... exercise 3 days a week, but if you can only walk 5 or 10 minutes fast, then walk 10 minutes in the morning, 10 minutes before dinner, and 10 minutes in the evening. See! 3 short 10 minute strolls equals 30 minutes of aerobic workout! How easy does it get?

Create a pattern of exercise that you enjoy. If you enjoy it, you'll keep doing it and lose weight.

Have fun!
Terri

"I Wish I'd Asked My Doctor..."
http://www.crosshome.com/iwishidasked6.shtml
Old 07-28-2002, 09:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Treadmill

Oh you are so lucky to have your own treadmill. The gym I belong to recommends 20 minutes per day of a cadio exercise - example walking on the treadmill. They recommend that you use various incline levels for the best workout. I try to do 20 minutes on the treadmill, 20 minutes on the gym bike - which has different incline levels, and about 20-30 minutes of weight machines/lifting five days per week. One day I do yardwork. One day I rest. I wish I had a treadmill at the house. I recommend a portable cassette player and either motivational tapes or music or books on tape. It makes the time go by faster. I try to walk at least 4.1 miles per hour. I worked up to that from 3.00 miles per hour. I envy you. Good luck!! Also, it is interesting to keep track of the miles you walk. On my exercise bike at home, I have travelled 2,703 miles, but I am really tired of it and haven't peddled on my home bike in a long time. Good luck and happy exercising. You will feel pretty tired for a while, and then you will have a lot more energy and endurance.
Old 07-28-2002, 11:09 AM
Nine Year Member

Walking

My DH is a Diabetic. He found that walking is the only thing that keeps his sugar readings down. Now that it is too hot to walk in the afternoon he bought a treadmill to use in the garage. He has a fan in the window & one on the ceiling. He usually uses it for a hour on a slight incline. He bought it second hand at a thrift shop so it was a bargain. What we did not know the belt you walk on has to be oiled every so often otherwise it will burn up. Started falling apart in strips. Called the company listed on the machine sent us a booklet with instructions for get this$10.00. Ordered a new belt he installed it himself. He loves using it plus walking outdoors morning & evening when it is cooler. It tells you how fst you are going and the amount of calories you are burning. I will be using it soon too. Sueanne
Old 07-28-2002, 11:16 AM
Nine Year Member

Treadmill

Here is a picture of my DH on his treadmill has his radio playing with his favorite tunes as he walks. He had a bypass a couple of years ago so this keeps him fit. Some times I think he exercises to much. Sueanne
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2002, 10:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Treadmills

My husband had a heart attack last July. We were going pretty well walking outside until income tax season hit the end of January - he does over 500 returns each season.

We purchased a treadmill and it has made a great difference.

The person who commented abou the interval training - 10 minutes 3 times a day - must have seen the same article I saw. It is easier for some folks to break it up like that. My husband and I each do about 30 minutes at least 4 times a week.

Good luck with your new health push. Sometimes you have to make yourself do it, but if you can watch TV of something, it really helps.
Old 08-11-2002, 12:09 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I quit using the treadmill two weeks ago, when I hurt my neck doing crunches. My Mom has threatened to take it back home, if I don't start using it again!!

Tami
Old 08-29-2002, 02:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

chuckle treadmill walking

I got a treadmill this year with my tax refund. Had been wanting one for like, forever! When you have small kids, it's hard to find time to go walk, so this is a godsend. It's a Proform LX360. Saw it on an infomercial and fell in love. I do enjoy it, although I am just now getting into a routine with it. I am walking for now, hopefully can work up to running... but my goal to start is 30 minutes a day walking at a fast pace. (I also carry hand weights when I walk). I want to lose about 10 pounds. I cut Coke out of my diet, since I was drinking 4-5 cans of it a day and I am trying to not snack after dinner. So far, I have lost 3 pounds and I have only walked 3 days. I am also drinking lots of water and taking more vitamins. (do vitamins go bad?) I think the hardest thing is, getting motivated to do it, finding the right time to do it, and then actually getting up and doing it. It helps I can watch TV while I walk.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I've just gotten back into my treadmill. I am walking at a pace that gets my heart beating 22 beats in 10 seconds for 20 minutes. I'm out of shape and it gets me sweating but at least I think I'm doing some good for myself. I have it set up in front of a VCR/TV and I watch 20 minutes of a movie then shut it off. Keeps my mind on something and I know I can't finish the movie unless I get on the treadmill! Right now I'm watching Dr. T and his Women. Those women get on my nerves (which I think is probably the point--Richard is still a hottie though, not that the women don't look good but I haven't found one I'd want to be friends with!)