FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Exercise and Equipment (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/exercise-equipment/)
-   -   Pilates anyone? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/exercise-equipment/2811-pilates-anyone.html)

eskie13 07-12-2002 08:49 PM

Pilates anyone?

I am trying to find an exercise routine that is short on time but looks like it will get the job done!! Has anyone out there tried the Pilates tapes? They look like the would be a good choice but I am not sure if I should invest in the tapes or not.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanx!!!^^

henryjsmom 07-12-2002 09:42 PM

Pilates are so great!! It totally helps change the shape of your body, it REALLY works!

I have a few tapes, denise austin hasd 2 and i have both of those they are 20 minute programs. One of the tapes is a yoga program and pilates after it. i have quick fix pilates which is 10 min.
i don't know the specific names because a friend is borrowing them ( i am pregnant and don't see the need for ab work!)
its hard at the beginning and VERY challenging but it does get easier.
Have fun!

Shawn 07-13-2002 03:35 AM

I hear so much about this, I think I want to check it out.

I could use some shaping LOL....

tlcsmom 07-13-2002 05:40 AM

Try checking them out at the local video store or library and see if they suit you. Hunt them out at garage sales, I did this for my little ones elmo tapes cant tell you how much I saved. Back to the subject.I tried them, in fact own 5 (lessson learned in renting them) of the tapes and I was not impressed with them. It seemed really hard to do some positions I could get my body into when I was 16 I dont know what makes me think I can get them in this position at 44 and not just my speed. Though Densie Austins tapes may be better (I like her). I love yoga that seems to be more my speed and my body seems to cooperate better.

Dawn Wright 07-13-2002 09:22 AM

Sam's Club

Sam's Club has a nice selection of Pilates and Yoga tapes. Both of which I would encourage. If you can't distort your body the way they can, don't worry, they have been doing it a long time. My yoga instructor does beautiful poses. I don't...not yet anyway. I love doing yoga. It feels like I've gotten a massage afterward, I feel so relaxed. I say, go for it!

Later Gater! 8-)

eskie13 07-13-2002 08:15 PM

Thanx!!!

Thanx for the different ideas. I am going to the video store this weekend and hopefully I will find a copy of it. I am interested in trying it.

Hope this finds everyone wonderful!!!! Have a wonderful weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
8-)

Amyred 07-18-2002 07:22 AM

Pilates is pretty good.

I have six that I bought at Bed, Bath, & Beyond, because I've not seen them anywhere else. Unfortunately, I've not been consistent in using them, but when I do I feel like I've had a real workout, even with the short ones. Balancing on my tailbone is NOT the easiest thing to do, but it takes time to learn all that stuff. I agree, check the library, check tag sales and other places, anywhere you might find "previously owned," maybe even eBay or Half.com. I got six books from Half.com last summer for about $30; when I checked at Borders, it would have cost about $70 for the same books. Pays to keep your eyes peeled! :cat:

Barbara J 07-18-2002 07:42 AM

Hi all. This is my first post. When I read the pilates question I just had to share my enthusiasm but it has taken me half an hour to get a password etc.:rolleyes: Anyway, I am 34 and have been an avid excerciser for almost 20 years. When a friend first tried to encourage me to try Pilates/yoga excercises I laughed because it seemed way to wimpy for a stud like me. LOL:-D I can tell you quite humbly pilates are the MOST EFFECTIVE excercises I have ever done!!!!! They are so awesome because you are forced to use exactly the target muscles and you are working your core (center portion, abs, back, stabilizer muscles) throughout the entire session. I highly reccomend Stott videos. They are the originals and therefore the best. Also, a workout circle is a MUST. It is impossible to use momentum with this and you REALLY get an excellent workout. Good luck, and if you have any questions please feel free to email me. Also, I would love to buy a reformer machine now. Anyone have one?
Barbara

taffy 07-19-2002 09:44 PM

Barbara, I have the Pilates Preformer. Is that what you're looking for?

Taffy :)

Barbara J 07-20-2002 04:18 AM

reformer

Yes. The reformer is what I am interested in. How do you like it?