Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Exercise and Equipment Looking into a stair climber? Maybe a treadmill? Talk to others here and ask their opinions.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:38 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Are there any other Walkers here?

Just checking to see if anyone else walks for fitness.

The other night I played soccer with the parents against my DD's team. Wow, my legs hurt for about two days, but, it made me feel so much better. So, I decided that I needed to start doing something physical.

So, I started to walk every night. I was just wondering if there are other walkers here that can help keep me accountable, other than my DD?

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 08-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I also need to stay accountable. I don't often walk outside but I have a "gazelle" machine to walk in the house. Last night I decided that I would exercise while DH is in the shower in the AM. And I actually got up and DID that (which is pretty amazing).
Old 08-06-2008, 03:25 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Yes, Barb, I would not be able to get up and walk first thing in the morning.

I take my walk in the evening, with Zac in his stroller, he is starting to look forward to taking the walk in the evening. It is actually down time for me, as he is contained for the duration of the walk.

I have to time myself, and see how long it takes to take my walk. I don't have many places to walk around here, as there are no sidewalks along the "main" road in front of our park. So I just stick to walking in the park.

I think it is realy helping me though, as I do not feel so stiff in the morning when I get out of bed.

I did walk last night, even though it rained, I walked after the rain passed. I wish I would have started earlier in the summer!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 08-06-2008, 05:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

If I don't do this in the morning, I don't do it. Plain as that.

I got up and exercised again today!
Old 08-07-2008, 04:20 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good job Barb.

I also walked last night. DH timed it for me. It takes 23 mins for the route I take. But, that is with stopping to get the mail. I guess it is close enough to 30 mins.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Keep on walking! I am 3 for 3 now
Old 08-08-2008, 02:13 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good job Barb!

I made it again last night. A storm passed through, and it cooled things off so much. It made it feel chilly walking with shorts and a T-shirt! I was worried the rain would not stop and I wouldn't make it. But, I am now 6 for 6!

They say it takes 7 days to break a habit. I wonder if it also take 7 days to make a habit?

Old 08-08-2008, 05:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I'm keeping it up...it was so gorgeous out this AM that I went for a mile walk (around my block).
Old 08-08-2008, 05:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I walk every other day, 20mins + on good days. I take my dogs with me and hubby too.
My dogs are in such a routine that they will bug me, if I forget. It does all of us good, and I have lost 6 lbs in 6weeks.

Walking releases natural endorphins, which makes you feel good, and reduces any pain you have. I live in chronic pain, so walking helps me.

Now I have to figure out how to walk in winter..for we get snow early up North.
I tried mall-walking and that concrete is hard on your shins..I much rather walk on asphalt or dirt roads.

janet
Old 08-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Walking makes a huge difference in how I feel. I walk at daybreak six days a week. That's a good time because nothing interferes at that time of day. Also it is cool, quiet and beautiful. I walk for three miles and try to get in 10,000 steps a day. By the way, I am 73 years old and broke my hip this spring. Walking helped me recover.