Making Time for Exercise

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Barbszy, the one way I made sure I would walk is by getting a dog. He has to go out and needs exercise so that gives me no way to get out of it. I was doing well all spring walking 2-3 miles a day but have been slacking off recently and truly have no excuse. I do walk the dog at 6 a.m. every morning but need to walk so much more. (I got the dog because I don't like walking alone) I need to lose about 30 pounds (gained 12 just over the winter!) and truly do not like my body right now.

Exercise videos work great if you have the space and time to do them. One other trick I use is I bought a jogging trampoline. I made up the rule that if I am sitting and watching tv, every single commercial break I have to run on the trampoline until the commercials are over. Not sure how much exercise that adds up to but it makes me feel better about watching tv.
  • I started walking 15 months ago. I started going 1/2 mile every morning before breakfast. I gradually worked up to 3 miles. Then I started carrying weights, a little at first and gradually increasing. Now I walk three miles a day and carry 26 pounds. Daybreak is the best time for me to go. It is cool and beautiful and other activities don't interfere. I love to watch the sunrise. I am in better shape now than I was 10 years ago. Don't think about it or ask yourself if you want to do it, just get out and start doing it. By the way, I'll be 72 years old next week. Another good idea is to wear a step counter [about 3.99 at Walmart] and try to walk 10,000 steps a day. This includes the walking you do while vacuuming, mowing, running after the kids, etc. Walking is safe and effective. I recommend it to everyone.
  • For me it's getting up first thing in the morning and doing my exercise, if I leave it later I tend not to do it thinking it can wait another half hour and it never gets done then.
    But that is me.
  • Kathy, that's me too. If I don't do it in the morning, I say I will do it later but by the end of the day I am too tired. I definitely have to walk every morning or it just doesn't get done.
  • Some things never change; I make exercise a top priority for me. Due to disabilities I do my walking and exercise in the water. I make sure I get there at least 3 to 5 times a week. If I don’t take care of myself I can’t give to anyone else
  • Lately I find working out in the evening works best for me.
  • I'm still hanging in at curves
  • At my pysical in Feb. my blood pressure was borderline high so I am now making sure I exercise every day so I am back to walking the dog once or twice a day.
  • Ditto for me Sammi. I could eat whatever I wanted all my life and I guess it has caught up with me. High BP, high cholesterol and a tire around my middle!!

I have been eating healthy this week, need to get more exercise in but I am VERY out of shape. I have been doing 5 minutes on the exercise bike and will keep adding more.

hugs, train