• Does anyone have Nordic Poles?

I bought them 4 months ago and
    so far I haven't been able to use
    them because I'm too shy to go
    outside and do it alone.

Anyone else has this problem?

Marie
  • Hi Marie,

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a Nordic Pole and what do you "do" with it?
  • I was going to ask the same thing I have never heard of it
  • At first I thought of the poles to be used in cross country skiing but then I remember from last year a new fitness thing where you take just the poles and use them to sort of lengthen out your strides when doing fitness walking? So I think they are used as a sort of fitness style walking stick to make you work a bit harder than plain old hiking?
  • Hello everyone,

If you check this site:
    http://www.exerstrider.com/

it will tell you more than I can about walking
    with Nordic Poles.

It is very popular in Europe.
    They are poles similar to the ones you would
    use for cross-country skiing.

A walker use them to help getting a better
    workout. It is supposed to work out your muscles better than just walking.

It also helps if you have knee problems or
    back pain.

But, like I said, I haven't used them yet.

Marie
  • Hi. I have been using my poles for almost a year now and I absolutely love them! I get a great upper body workout while I walk and I find it makes for a better cardiovascular workout as well. At first I was a little self concious about going out with my poles (half expecting someone to yell "Hey lady! You lost yer skis!") and would venture out only in the early morning when I was relatively sure I wouldn't encounter many people. By now I don't really care who I see. The poles are just a piece of exercise equipment just like a bicycle or treadmill or weights or skis. I feel more fit and stronger than before. I would recommend nordic walking to anyone. Just a tip, though, it's a good idea to have a good stretch after you're finished so you don't get stiff the next day, but that's true of any exercise. Get out there and walk! You won't be sorry. Good luck.

Jennifer
  • It sounds like a great work-out! I'm an avid walker (I walk between 3-6 miles a day), but I probably am not getting a good upper body workout. I just might check out the nordic poles!

• Nordic Poles
    Hi Jennifer,

Thank you so much for your comments
    and encouragement.

I'll try to get out there soon.

Marie