Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Exercise and Equipment Looking into a stair climber? Maybe a treadmill? Talk to others here and ask their opinions.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I know I'm a day late starting but count me in too.

A friend told me that if I walk around the baseball and soccer field at our neighborhood elementary school, approximately three times it equals about a mile. And since I am there two days a week for baseball practice with DS, I should be able to make some miles that way.

Walk on gang!
Old 05-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Never did get to walk yesterday and today it was still Major Ouchies the whole way. I think I need to find a flat area to walk (I'm on top of a hill--a small hill, but I've still got to go down in every direction, and down hurts more than up.)

9/10 done today!
Old 05-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Nine Year Member

Barbszy, I think I remember alternating cold and hot for shin splints but don't know what most current thinking is. Maybe an internet search will give you some answers and relief! My shins are hurting just thinking about yours! I remember that pain all too well.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 05-03-2006, 08:27 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We will be foing a 3mile hike this weekend for Family Camping in Boy Scouts!!
Old 05-03-2006, 08:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I just found this forum. Is it too late to start? I would love to join as well.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

May 3, two and half miles today.

1.4 miles behind the push mower today and the other 1.1 at the mall (walked around the mall once and then again going in and out of clothing shops looking for a dress to wear to my sister's wedding in June.)

Wearing my pedometer really helps in keeping track of how far I've gone. The one I have is an Omron HJ 112, it's a bit more expensive but well worth the cost as it counts not only miles but steps, calories burned and aerobic steps. You are able to adjust not only your stride length but also set it for how much you weigh so that it counts calories burned properly. It also has a seven day memory and resets its self to zero each day at midnight.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Rbeccers, Where did you get your pedometer? I had one that just counted steps and miles but the battery died and it isn't worth it to replace. It would really help if I'm shopping and can't figure out the distance with my car.

Last edited by apricot; 05-03-2006 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

1.5 miles yesterday and 2 miles today.
My neighbors probably think I'm crazy because I've started walking around my building at night after the kids go to bed. I don't have room for a treadmill & if the weather is bad I can't have the kids walk outside with me. I figure walking is still walking, even if I'm just walking around the building.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:53 AM
Nine Year Member

So far this week, 2.75 miles walking.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 05-04-2006, 06:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Apricot - I bought my pedometer online. I don't remember what site it was on but I bought it a year and a half ago and paid about $25 for it and then shipping and handling for a total of about $30 or so. I did a search this morning and right now Amazon.com seems to have it for the lowest price around (less then $19)

Another nice feature with this pedometer is that you don't have to have it clipped to your waist. You can put it in your pants pocket or shirt pocket (it doesn't even have to remain in a straight up and down posistion, you can turn it sideways, even upside down and it will still count your steps). It even comes with a strap that you use to tether it to your pocket when you are using the holster to clip it to your waist because it comes out of the holster very easily. You can view the instruction manual online at Omron's site (just google it) and save it in a pdf format if you ever loose yours (which of course I did, wish I knew where all those little papers go when they disappear).

If you are really interested in it, you can just do a search for Omron HJ 112 pedometer.

Last edited by Rbeccers; 05-04-2006 at 06:19 AM.