Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Exercise and Equipment Looking into a stair climber? Maybe a treadmill? Talk to others here and ask their opinions.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Yes Ellen i want to hear more about those marines and your marathon..We have one going on here for breast cancer i always thought about doing one..
Kelly i hope your weekend goes well with the boys scouts...ther boys will be alot of fun..
okay ladies get your waking shoes ready!!!
have a great weekend!!!
Old 04-28-2006, 10:51 AM
Nine Year Member

I'm going to consider this, I'd really like to participate. I'm trying to talk dd into walking with me-but she says NO! so right now the plan is to take dgd's with me, at least the younger one-the older one might walk the first day and give up after that and I might end up carrying the younger one after a bit, but hey-that's just more exercise for me.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I'm in. It's a mile around the block for me - it's taken a year to build up to it - so I am ready! Maybe I can get DH to join me.

If you are coming to see me, come any time! If you are coming to see my house, make an appointment.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:05 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

this does sound great!!
but how do we know when its over..like when we get the goal?? how will we know how far weve walked??
Old 04-28-2006, 04:48 PM
Nine Year Member

ooo, the Marines! Well, they don't mind when you sweat and get smelly,or if they do they don't make anything of it. They ran in pairs and really stuck by each other no matter how untrained they were or how tough and long and hot and humid the race became. They don't say a whole lot either,not with their mouths, but their eyes speak volumes. They challenge and encourage in the same glance.

There is this whole momentum thing they get going, and I ran a lot of the race out of saving my face. At the 8 mile mark I hit some pain and at 15 mile mark I hit my wall, early, but I was having ovulation pain but didn't know what it was. It was the worst run I had had in light of all my training runs of the previous year. So I thought, okay I have 10 more miles but how?

And then I looked around me, these guys entered out of sheer pride. They didn't have any long slow miles built up, they didn't have the top running shoes or even very good looking boots. They didn't have much but they did have their determination. They ran on sheer guts and pride.

They hurt and they didn't complain. And they didn't stop even if they were reduced to a slow shuffle. They just kept the flow going to the finish line.

This is the front line of our military! I felt so privelaged and honored to be running with them. I was at the back of the pack and they had no embarrassment about being there with me. They just kept going forward.

I think about the Marines and the other military men in locations across the world. I think about their duty and their determination. And I support them because they are out there, doing it, for us.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 04-28-2006, 11:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Kelly, This sounds like a great idea. For the past couple of years I have been walking a little over a mile with a coworker on our morning breaks, rain or shine. That is not directly work related so I think it would count, but I don't know if I should join since I might have an advantage over some who are not used to walking as much. I will cheer everyone on though.

Hummingbird, You can get a small pedometer at any drug store or large department store like K mart or Walmart for around $4 in the health or sporting goods section of the store. You just clamp it to the waist area of your pants or shorts before beginning and it calculates the miles for you. You can also count your steps and so many steps equal a mile. I always lose count so I prefer the pedometer. I can't remember how many steps equal a mile. Somebody else might know.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hummingbird, we just used our car odometer to find out how far it was around our block. You can use a pedometer also.

It was such a nice day this morning I decided to get a head start on the walking habit. I walked around my block and even jogged about 1/3 of the way. My Big DS wants to run track. He would be unimpressed at my measly 3/10 mile jog! LOL!
Old 04-29-2006, 09:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Count me in. I do the elliptical 3 times a week at 1 1/2 miles each time, so I'll definately be able to finish in a few weeks. I hate working out, but when you have to just to be able to walk and move your arm you do it. Maybe I can even walk outside in the evenings or work out extra days.
Tammy
Old 04-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

This sounds great! Count me in!!!

"My children are not responsible for my personal happiness. If they are noisy or tired, it is inconvenient only if I make it so." ~ Celia Straus
Old 04-30-2006, 05:52 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi everyone,

I'm back! Glad to see some new replies and a few more people signed up.

barbszy...I did some "training" to get ready for the marathon too. Did a 4 mile hike with my cub scout group yesterday and my legs are sore.

This is the line up as I read it so far:

Kelly
ellenmelon
tutterbear
barbszy
Sharona
hummingbird
ofan1967
phyllsplace

Apricot...Please join if you want too. Your daily walks will count and may encourage us to walk more.

This is a friendly competition and it doesn't matter if you are an experienced walker or a newbie. Everyone is welcome to encourage and support each other. That is what FC members do best!

There may be days due to working that I won't be able to walk at all but, I may walk extra on the weekends, etc.

Starting tomorrow pop on at least once a week and post your mileage. We will continue this thread until all participants have crossed the finish line. We can all continue walking and training for the next marathon until the last participant has finished. Then, we can start another one. Good luck everyone!

Hugs,
Kelly