Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Exercise and Equipment Looking into a stair climber? Maybe a treadmill? Talk to others here and ask their opinions.

View Poll Results: How often do you exercise?
I don't 28 22.95%
Rarely, maybe once or twice a month 24 19.67%
Semi-regularly, once or twice a week 48 39.34%
Regularly, everyday 22 18.03%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I go to Curves too.....

I've been trying to go to Curves 3 times a week....though it hasn't been working out that way lately! I always feel better after I have been there and it really is a fast paced workout. Especially when there are alot of ladies there chattering. My Curves doesn't have the hula hoop thing nor do they offer it, at least that I'm aware of. It sounds interesting!

Terri
~tidbit~
Old 03-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Have you ever tried Curves? (30 min. 3 times weekly)
Old 03-11-2005, 09:57 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I just started a kickboxing class last night... WOW!

LOL I had no idea. But I love it! I'm a little sore today, probably will be more sore tomorrow, but it'll be worth it. The class is Tuesday and Thursday for 5 weeks. If I can get my butt to look like the instructor's, then the pain is worth the gain

LMAO!
Old 03-11-2005, 10:01 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I walk five days a week. Several mothers meet at one person's house afer we drop the kids off at school. We walk Monday through Friday, about an hour a day. Lots of hills, but lots of talking, so time goes quickly.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:01 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I use my new elliptical machine @ least 5 days a week from 25-45 minutes depending on what the day will allow. I also fit in abdominal exercises and a few small free weights. I have been trying to do some more Pilates with a video and exercise ball to strengthen my core muscles. It feels so good to exercise!

Sandra
Old 03-11-2005, 10:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am on a roll!

I had an occurence recently that kicked my bootie into action, so I have been walking almost daily or doing some aerobic exercise of some kind. I have an excellent Internal Medicine doctor, as well (I am really picky about my doctors), who is helping me through this.

I hope you ladies don't mind if I share my reason for the major concern?? The information I have to share may touch an area of need for some of you or may be of interest anyhow. So, if you have the time, read all of this post. If not, oh well! LOL....

My blood sugars went sky high while my Doctor was on vacation about 3 weeks ago (I am not diabetic, although it runs seriously in my family genes) . I immediately went on a strict diet of healthy foods and lower carbs, and refrained from large portions of my favorite (sigh) pastas.

I knew what I had to do. Until Doc got back, I bought a new blood sugar monitor and kept track of what did what to my body. I wuz determined NOT to succumb to Diabetes, since I had watched my sweet Mother get a leg amputated and suffer horrors from dialysis, before she died at the early age of 56!

I also watched my sister suffer waiting for a kidney and pancreas and helped nurse her in my home (she had to stay nearby the transplant hospital in Wisconsin - and she lived in Louisiana - and I lived in Iowa at the time, but was only a couple of hours away from her hospital) till signs of rejection were nill and she could return to her family in La. Well, that was 11 years ago, she has been blessed, but her kidney failed her recently and she is now doing dialysis and getting her protein levels up, awaiting another kidney (from my sister-in-law, God bless her!) soon. I cared for my father for two years before he died, as well, who developed Diabetes and I had to give him his shots of insulin because he was too hard-headed to follow a strict diet after Mom died, so his Type 2 Diabetes turned into Type 1 - insulin dependent. He was in the best shape ever after he came to live with us, but it was too late to repair the damage the disease had done to his eyes, heart and circulatory system.

I had gestational diabetes when pregnant with DD nearly 12 years ago. The ER internist told me I was fat and there was nothing I could do about it at that point, and that I needed to start taking insulin injections. I was outraged that he was so rude and relayed the event to my female OB-GYN, who asked if I would like her to refer me to another Internist, and I jumped at her offer. The lady internist was also of Italian heritage, as I, so she was very empathetic to my starchie diet and inherited gene pool! With her help, the aid of a wonderful hospital dietician, and checking my blood sugars about 4 times a day, I was able to make it thru my entire pregnancy without taking insulin in any form, and I only gained 28 lbs. during the pregnancy. My blood sugars were completed normal throughout the pregnancy, as well.

In the past three weeks, I have LOST 8 hard-core, not fluid, pounds!! My cholesterol level dropped from 210 to 170, and my HDL's are up, LDL's down!! The diet I have used is a modified version of one I read about that helped keep fat and wrinkles away and slimmed people down FAST and safely in a recent issue of WOMEN'S WORLD magazine, which was from a book written by a doctor, the diet focusing on eating Wild Salmon at LEAST once a day. It works, too! And I don't care for salmon, but I found some interesting ways to fix it that are quick and easy!

My Internist said not to worry about the blood sugars just yet. My liver enzymes were up, so he felt that my liver had too much fat content, and also that a recent URI were what caused the problems. In reviewing my sugar testing results from the time he was on vacation, it appeared obvious that my fasting blood sugars were the only ones that were up. The rest of the day, they were normal. Activity levels and diet were helping, and I have been trying not to eat past 5:30 p.m. in the evenings. But even that didn't seem to matter. Some nights I ate late, by default, and the sugars would be lower! Crazy?

Well, GUESS WHAT??? It appears that my rise in blood sugars were because my liver had mild damage from taking LIPITOR too long. About 8 weeks ago, when my cholesterol started RISING on Lipitor instead of lowering, as it had been doing, Doc cut my dose in half. The result was that my cholesterol came down, but my liver enzymes got higher, indicating the liver was not functioning properly, which is a side effect from continued use of LIPITOR!! He told me to stop the LIPITOR NOW COMPLETELY (you can't just stop it without reducing the dosage gradually, because that can cause spikes in cholesterol and other problems). I have been off Lipitor for nearly a week now, and take aloe vera capsules 1-2x daily after meals (which is supposed to help lower fasting blood sugars), and my fasting blood sugars are now dropping -- FINALLY!! I can't wait for my next check-up! Doc is going to be so proud of me! The weight is just falling off, too!!

Hope this helps as an incentive and information for some of you ladies out there!

Hugs and health,
Julie
Old 03-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Jumping to conclusions and running up and down the 3 flights of stairs from my home office to the basement to do laundry is about all the excersise I get.

I want to try curves as soon as it becomes budgutarily feasible.

Be Good!
Sharon

If you are coming to see me, come any time! If you are coming to see my house, make an appointment.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:39 AM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Sharon!! This week (through TODAY!) Curves has where you can take a sack of groceries in and your registration is FREE!!! Wish I'd seen this thread last week so I could have let you all know about it earlier!

I LOVE Curves. I started going in October of 2003 and in about 7 months I lost over 27 inches. (I had not lost much weight at all but we think it is related to something else.) I was working out 3-5 times each week.

Sad to say, LIFE took over and I haven't been very regular since last August. My best friend and I joined together but her job has not allowed her to be back on a regular basis either. I've really missed going. It's great fun to work out with other women and chat and have fun. Makes it not seem you are working so hard!

I'm headed to Curves TODAY when they open after lunch in about 30 minutes. My oldest daughter is also a member. I signed her up last year for her 14th birthday. Today I'm taking my 13yo with me so that no matter what they have going on, I'll always have a buddy to go with. On the mother daughter plan, they each get to join for 1/2 what I paid in registration (which was on a 1/2 price special) and then their cost is only $10 a month! What a great P.E. time for them in our homeschool.

Julie, thanks for the info. My 7yo was diagnosed with Type I over Christmas and due to the education process so we can deal with that, I've learned SO much more about Diabetes than ever before. I've decided that most people are not educated well enough about this disease and so they really don't understand the seriousness of it. If you can prevent it with diet and exercise - you really should work on it diligently!
Old 03-11-2005, 01:11 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am a new poster to these boards.

I walk at least 1 hour 6 days a week. I have lost at least 16 pounds and 16 inches in 2004. It was a slow process. I have to have blood work dones soon, and can't wait to see if levels of all aspects of the blood work have improved.

I started walking regularly last July when I got my little dog, he passed away this winter, and will be getting a new dog soon. This will motivate me to walk more again.

Old 03-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Welcome!