Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Exercise and Equipment Looking into a stair climber? Maybe a treadmill? Talk to others here and ask their opinions.

Old 01-25-2005, 07:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I have the ball, 2-lb hand weights that you hold, also 2.5 weights that can be strapped onto ankles or wrists, a Walk Off the Pounds video for 1 mile and a DVD for 1 to 3 miles and also a stair stepper. Oh, almost forgot some flexible bands that came with the ball.

The videos are easy but I get bored with them and don't like to have to put on my tennis shoes to do them since I don't normally wear shoes in the house. I do like the ball but have not really got the hang of the bands yet but did try a few moves that I saved from a magazine and liked most of them. The same with the weights that are hand held. I don't care for the strap on type at all.

I really need to dig those weights out.

Old 01-26-2005, 05:48 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

wow you ladies are energetic! my daughter and I bought a ball so far we have blown it up... i take a tap dancing class that is fun and I try to walk with the dogs but it is hard in the winter. good luck to us all in our fight to be healthy.

amanda in chicago

BD Club
Old 01-26-2005, 08:20 PM
kellyandkids

I think the rubber bands with handles - the round tube kind - need an instructor to show you initially. Try walking with the band beneath your feet. Yes, you have to put your shoes on - or the thing will slide off and kill you!

Try walking sideways - big steps. What a work out!

I'm staying with the classes as it is so hard to make the time otherwise just for me. No interrupting kids. One instructor always ends the class by saying our bodies thank us for taking the time to excercise them.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:03 AM
Assistant Moderator

I am so tempted to take my sticky mat with me when dd has her doctor appts. She gets microcurrent treatments that take up to 2 hours....... the rooms are large so I could do yoga while waiting for her. The Febr. Health has a nice easy yoga program in it.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Thanks for the tip on the bands. I did have a hard time with the round ones. I'll be sure to wear tennis shoes when I try that walking technique. I just don't like shoes because I get so hot when I exercise, even in the winter but maybe I won't with just the flex band walking.

I did actually get my exercise ball and video out and use them this morning. I had trouble remembering how to use the VCR since DH is into DVDs now. That took up to 10 to 15 minutes, so I didn't get to finish the whole video but I did feel like I had exercised and was not extremely hungry like I am when I do stair stepping. Maybe this weekend I will even dig out my weights and bands.

I walked the usual mile with my coworker too. It is supposed to rain tomorrow and the streets will be too slippery for that.

Old 02-14-2005, 01:03 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I spend most of my time excerising on the treadmill. I try to run about 3 miles several days a week. It keeps me pretty thin and helps me unwind after work.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:19 PM
kellyandkids

Upper body?

But what are you doing for an upper body workout? Carry some weights (or soup cans) for load bearing exercise. Very important to build and maintain bone mass. Run/walk while working the arms vigorously. And make sure you work thru your full range of motion. Up, down, behind, angels from the front.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:31 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

WOW...u seem to know alot!

IF ANYONE has any tips or worlouts PLEASE send them to me!! Im just starting out!

Hubbys getting a boxing bag (punhing bad and that speed ball thingy and another ball thingy..)lol so I will be doing that with him and I an going to start doing squats!! for the legs!

Any help is always welcome!
Old 02-15-2005, 08:14 PM
kellyandkids

laugh is on me!

Becareful! My excercise instructor had us do some weigh bearing squats. No problem. Until I tried to gracefully sit down on the toilet the next few days. I had sore muscles on the insides of my legs where I didn't know I had muscles.

I'm just learning as I go. But I do recommend a class.

1 they can help you not make mistakes,
2 they keep you honest and working at it
3 they keep the routine from getting boring.
4 you try harder in a group
5 I don't mind paying someone else to count for me.
6 they have all teh equipment for you to try before buying

I like the big ball, the 9 pound bar, the scary stretchy band, the step. But i wouldn't have know what to do with them without someone showing me the way.

Our comm rec classes are so cheap. $20 a month.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:25 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Equipment and exercise

Two years ago this month my father had a heart attack and after we pieced together our family medical history, I was determined not to follow suit. I had 50 pounds to lose and I didn't know where to begin since I'd never been successful with any of the many diets I'd tried. After watching many, many informercials I chose the "Walk Away the Pounds" video series. It was easy to do as it isn't dancing or hopping and jumping. Very low impact but very effective. I started out with the two mile walk and now I do the 4 mile video. I began walking outside and once my weight started dropping I tried new things. I bought a mini stepper for cold or rainy days, I tried Tae Bo, kick-boxing videos, yoga, pilates and my favorite thing now is my stability ball. I've put up a punching bag and speed bag and have added hand weights to my collection. I'd have never tried things like that before but I get more confident as I become more fit. I've cut out a lot of desserts and fast food and I am careful to look for excessive fat and hidden sugars but I haven't done anything drastic to my way of eating. I live in a meat and potatoes kind of culture so now I load up on veggies and go a little lighter on the meat and we eat more whole grains now. I do think twice before I eat something that isn't necessary since I know how hard it is to maintain this weight loss. My children are exercising with me now and we all eat more heathfully. This has affected my whole family so the changes will be easier to maintain or at least I'd like to think so. I also hope to help my children avoid heart disease as well. I'd recommend the walking videos to anyone who's not in the best shape of their lives. They are easily altered to suit your fitness level. You'll improve as you go along. I'd also suggest trying anything at least once. I never pictured myself doing kickboxing or yoga but I love those activities now. Who'd have guessed?