Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Exercise and Equipment Looking into a stair climber? Maybe a treadmill? Talk to others here and ask their opinions.

Old 12-28-2004, 09:29 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

jumping rope

Hello hummingbird, I actually have just stepped up to an hour everyday. But I am planning a marathon before I am 40 so I want to be in fairly fit shape before I commit to 20 mile runs . I noticed a change (physically) after only about 30 minutes several times a week jumping to fairly active music. I like that I am not dependant on anyone else or weather (I live in Wisconsin). It's nice too that in nice weather I can take the kids outside and we all jump together. Truly, I feel like it's something anyone who wants to exercise actively can do and SEE results fairly quickly. Good luck and let me know how you do. Katie
Old 12-28-2004, 10:17 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

shocking

so for a beginner like me what do u suggest? im 28 and not in shape at all..outta breath quick and get that upset stomach feeling easy..but Ima try this cuz its easy i woudl think and indoor or out as u said!
like dance music do this too? and how often would u say i start? 30 mins at at time..right
Old 12-29-2004, 04:11 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Workout tips

Actually 30 minutes of jumping rope is pretty intense for someone who is not actively exercising. I might start with 15 minutes everyday or every other day depending on what your body says. I am certainly not a doctor - but I have been active my whole life on and off and really active for the past 10 so I know a little. Listen to your body and push it a little to start with but not too much or you won't want to keep it up. I have found that once a habit develops you really WANT to exercise because you know how good it feels and how crumby you feel if you don't do it for a while. That's just my opinion and your mileage may vary but give it a go!
Old 12-29-2004, 08:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I try to walk with a friend almost everyday but if the weather is bad I use one of my videos. I have a Walk Off the Pounds video that is very easy and it takes about 20 minutes to walk one mile. It includes exercises for legs, arms, etc. I also have a video for my exercise ball. That one takes more effort and can take longer if I do all the exercises but it gives some variety. I also bought a mini stair stepper that has the flexible bands for the hands.

The cheapest excerise equipment and biggest motivator has been a small pedometer that tells me how many miles I walked and also how many calories I burned. It costs less than $5.00. I like variety so I don't get bored with doing one thing. I can't jump rope, do aerobics or treadmill so had to find other things that I can do.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:20 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

shocking

Thanks Ladies I will try this!....
I may try and find some videos....walking off the ponds sounds good!

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS WITH VIDEOS?
TO Start out with..I gotta start light guys,lol
Old 12-30-2004, 07:59 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have been trying the jumping rope and it really gets to you at first. Very difficult to maintain that movement for 10-15 minutes at first. I've gotten better and already can tell that my endurance is improving a bit. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:40 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

GREAT,,KEEP IT UP I am plannig on starting Jan 1st!!