ISO: Oktoberfest Foods

You're on Page 3 of 3
Go to
  • ROCK-ToberFest 2004!
    Once again, we are having an Oktoberfest at our house!

Pared down the menu a bit:

Plum Soup
    German Potato Salad
    Grilled / Beer-boiled Brats
    Bavarian Pot Roast
    A Chicken dish (to be determined)
    Marinated Tomatoes
    Bienenstich Cake
    Black Forest Cake

Each family will provide the beer for themselves and one or two other people, and I'll provide several bottles of Liebfraumilch.

Fun!

Cheerio!
    Elizabeth
  • We had to postpone until the 23! 3 days to go!

We're going to have 25 people!! 16 of them kids!! Yikes! We've grown!!

Menu changed a little:

Appetizers:
    Plum Soup
    Potato Pancakes with Applesauce Dip
    ? Pretzels with Mustard?

Veggies:
    Marinated Tomatoes
    German Potato Salad
    Apple Strudel (could be a dessert...)

Meats:
    Grilled / Beer-boiled Brats
    Bavarian Pot Roast
    A Chicken dish (to be determined)

Desserts:
    Bienenstich Cake
    Black Forest Cake
    Ice Cream Cups (for the kids!)

Will let you know how it comes out!

Cheerio!
    Elizabeth
  • Report: Rocktoberfest 2004!
    We had a blast! DS#1, who lives next door, hosted this year (load off my back!!)

Let's see, there were 12 kids under 12, ranging from 20 months to 11-11/12 (he'll be 12 next month). Remember in the Godfather how everytime there was a big family celebration there was a toddler screaming? Ditto here! It was great! - Really! I love this kind of thing!

OK, first, we didn't have the pretzels this year - didn't have time to go get them, much less bake them!

I made:
    Red Soup
    Potato Pancakes with applesauce dip

Godson made:
    Bavarian Pot Roast (yummm!)

DIL#1 made:
    Apple-Raspberry Strudel (really, really good!)

DS#2 made:
    Incredible Mac and Cheese - I know, it isn't Bavarian, but he wanted to bring it.
    DIL#2 made:
    A delicious Chicken dish!

DD made:
    Bienenstich Cake
    Black Forest Cake
    SIL made:
    Beer-boiled Bratwurst

Friend of DD made:
    German Potato Salad

X-SIL came (XH's sister), SIL (DH's sister) came.

We played the Chicken Dance and got the kids doing it (so funny!).

There was plenty of beer and more than enough Liebfraumilch.

After all, an Oktoberfest is supposed to be a happy beer drinking party! And that's what it was.

The kids all got out in the yard and played sword fight with toy light sabers, and tag, and hide and seek. No injuries - just hurt feelings on the part of the toddlers that they couldn't keep up with the older kids.

We are planning for next year, already.

While the basic menu will remain the same, Godson wants to bring a pork roast instead of the Bavarian Pot Roast. I need to figure out how to make the same appetizers I made this year AND make the red cabbage and apple side dish. I kinda pooped out in the middle of cooking and decided I'd rather have a good time at the party than wring myself out with the cabbage dish.

Before the celebration next year I need to:
    • remember to dig out the beer steins and get them etched.
    • get all the cameras out and take pictures! We forgot to do that this year! Waaaaaa! No pics of the GKs doing the chicken dance!!
    • have the right kind of tableclothes, so I'll be haunting garage sales and used "stuff" stores this year searching for light blue and white checked table clothes and napkins.
    • get some "real" Oktobefest decorations.
    • convert the Ooomp-pa-pa music MP3 tracks to regular music tracks so we can play the disc on the entertainment system instead of the computer
    This definitely will be an ongoing celebration in our family. As time goes on, we'll add a little info about the original Oktoberfest for the grandkid's edification, but we are going to mainly keep our Rocktoberfest our own - with our own traditions for the family.

That's what family celebrations are all about - making your own memories!

Cheerio!
    Elizabeth
  • So how was 2005? Have you had 2006's yet?
  • Hi y'all -

With my new diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis, we skipped Oktoberfest this year

We are planning a bit Thanksgiving, and, God willing, are going to make next year's Oktoberfest a really big deal!!

Thanks for asking. Sorry to be late replying - my time is kinda taken up with aquatic therapy and rest and trying to get work done. I need a day stretcher!!

Cheerio!
    Elizabeth
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*
    ~*~ My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and
    it is gone. ~*~
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*