FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Ethnic Foods (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/ethnic-foods/)
-   -   ISO: Oktoberfest Foods (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/ethnic-foods/8412-iso-oktoberfest-foods.html)

ewriggs 10-27-2003 05:22 PM

Side Dish - Marinated Tomatoes

Marinated Tomatoes
Yield: 8 servings
(Adapted from Recipe Source)

8 Tomatoes; large (should be peeled and sliced)
2 c Vegetable oil (I used Olive oil - I just love Tassos brand!)
1 c red wine vinegar (originally called for 1/2 c, but I like the tartness of the extra vinegar)
1/2 ts Mustard; dry
2 ts Salt
1/2 ts Black pepper
2 Garlic; clove, large, minced (I used 3 cloves!)
2 tb Basil; fresh, chopped
4 Thyme; sprigs, fresh,chopped
2 Marjoram; fresh, sprig, chop (I didn't have fresh, so I used 1 tbsp dried leaves)
2 tb Scallion; minced

Scald the tomatoes and peel, then slice thinly. Layer the tomato slices so they aren't stacked, but are more overlapped.
Mix the oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, garlic, spices and minced scallion. Pour over the tomatoes. Chill for 1 - 24 hours before serving.

Everyone loved this!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth

ewriggs 10-27-2003 05:38 PM

Main Dish - Bavarian Pot Roast

Bavarian Pot Roast

Very adapted from: http://www.Recipezaar.com]The Recipezaar[/URL]

This made not only enough for the party, but two more meals afterward! I messed with the amounts and messed with the directions.

6 lbs chuck arm pot roasts
6 tsp vegetable oil + oil from 2 pieces of bacon
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp ground ginger
3 whole cloves per piece of meat - I used 3 2# pot roasts, so
I used 9 cloves altogether)
8 med apples, cored and quartered (leave skin on)
2 med onions, sliced
2 c apple juice
8 tbsp flour
1/2 c water

Rinse and pat the roasts dry with paper towels, then trim off most (but not all) of the excess fat. Brush the surface with a little oil, then rub on the salt, pepper and ginger. Make little holes in the meat with an icepick and insert the cloves.

Now cover the bottom of a large crockpot with the apples and onions and put the mead on top of them.

Pour the apple juice in, being careful not to rinse the spices off of the meat!

Cover the crockpot and set on high for 1/2 hour, then turn down to low and cook for 8 - 12 hours. (I just did this at about 10pm and let it cook all night)

To serve, put the meat on the center of a platter and surround with the cooked down apples and onions (they may be pretty mushy!)

You can make the gravy in the crockpot by setting it on high and stirring forever, or you can just pour the meat juice into a pot on the stove like I did!

Add the flour to the water in a quart jar, screw on the top and shake like crazy, then pour into the meat juice. Heat over low to medium heat with stirring.

When you serve, pour the gravy over the meat.

We all thought it still needed salt at the table, and I probably will increase the salt to 4 tsp next time I make this.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth

ewriggs 10-27-2003 05:46 PM

Main Dish - Beer-Boiled Bratwurst

Beer-Boiled Bratwurst

I adapted several different recipes to come up with this.

Pour 12 cans of light (as opposed to dark) beer into a big pot. Bring to a boil. Add several thinly sliced onions (as many as you like, but I used 3 large purple onions) and about 3 tbsp plain, ground black pepper. Add a couple tbsp butter once it boils.

Prick the bratwursts (I used 4#) with a fork (prevents exploding as they cook), and put them in the pot with the beer. Simmer them for 20 to 30 minutes.

Then grill over a very hot grill for about 10 - 15 minutes!

Serve with hoagie rolls, mustard and onions - Yummy!!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth

ewriggs 10-27-2003 05:57 PM

Side Dishes

My DD made a wonderful German Potato Salad, but didn't give me the recipe :-( - she "says" she'll give it to me later (yeah, right!)

We also had a great German chicken dish that my DS#2 "played" with and came up with an incredible adaptation! He "says" he'll give me the recipe as long as I put his name on it.

When I get both of these, I'll post them here.

I also heated up some "commercial" sauerkraut, and put some celery seeds and a very few caraway seeds in it.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth

ewriggs 10-27-2003 06:24 PM

Desserts - Yumm!!

My DD made the desserts! She is the baker in the family - takes after her dad.

I provided the recipes, and she made them beautifully!

Bienenstich Cake
(Bee-Sting Cake)
(This looks harder than it is)

Taken from: Web-Holidays

Dough
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup lukewarm milk
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons yeast
4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1 egg, room temperature
a pinch of salt

Topping
6 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup slivered almonds
pinch of cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream

Filling
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup milk
6 tablespoons butter

Dough: Sift flour into a large bowl and make a hole in the center.
Pour half of the milk into the hole.
Add the sugar and yeast.
Sprinkle some of the flour over the yeast.
After the yeast begins to foam add the butter, eggs, and salt and slowly work in the remaining milk to make an elastic dough.
Knead the dough for 15 minutes by hand. It should not stick to the table or bowl anymore. (If using an electric mixer with a dough hook 2-4 minutes is sufficient.)
Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and let rest for 1 to 2 hours or until doubled in size.

Make the topping:
Melt butter. Add sugar. Add almonds, cinnamon, vanilla, and cream.
Stirring constantly, keep over the heat until this mixture becomes soft and spreadable. Do not brown. Cool.

Shape as dough as desired.
Let rise another 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350deg F.
Spread dough with almond topping.
Bake 35 to 45 minutes.
Cool.

Make filling:
Beat yolks with sugar and vanilla in a heavy saucepan until the yolks are frothy and the sugar has dissolved. Add the cornstarch and milk, stirring constantly, heat until just about to boil.
Remove from the heat and allow to cool, stirring vigorously for brief intervals.
Whisk the butter until frothy and whisk into the cooled custard.
Slice the cooled cake in half and spread with the filling.
Return the top of the cake.
Keep cake refrigerated until serving time.

This is just plain yummy!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth

ewriggs 10-27-2003 06:35 PM

Side Dish - Red Cabbage and Onions

My DIL made this. Can't remember where I found recipes, but I mixed them all up.

1 head of red cabbage - quartered, cored, and chopped into about 1 inch pieces
2 sweet onions (we used 2 big purple onions), diced
2-4 tart apples (we used 3 Granny Smiths), cored and cut into about 1 inch chunks
"some" butter
3 cloves garlic (well, most of the recipes called for 1, but since we love garlic...), minced
1/3 c honey
1/3 c water
1/3 c red wine vinegar
1 tbs caraway seeds

Mix the honey, water and vinegar and set aside.
Heat butter in a largish pot (we used my big 8 gal stockpot) and saute the onions and garlic together, then start adding the cabbage. Stir fry for about 5 minutes, remove and add some more cabbage. Keep going until all the cabbage has been stir-fried.
Put all the cabbage back in the pot and add the apples. Add caraway seeds to the honey/water/vinegar mixture, and pour it all into the pot with the cabbage.
Cover and cook on low for about 1 - 2 hours - stirring occasionally.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth

ewriggs 10-27-2003 06:40 PM

The Black Forest Cake!!

My DD made this and it turned out incredibly well - even if her enthusiastic puppy did get one of the layers! ;-)

Black Forest Cake

(Adapted from Allrecipes.com

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup kirschwasser
1/2 cup butter
3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 pinch salt
1 teaspoon strong brewed coffee
2 (14 ounce) cans pitted Bing cherries, drained
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon kirschwasser
1 (1 ounce) square semisweet chocolate

Directions

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line the bottoms of two 8 inch round pans with parchment paper circles. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and 1 teaspoon salt. Set aside.

2 Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Beat in flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk, until combined. Pour into 2 round 8 inch pans.

3 Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool completely. Remove paper from the cakes. Cut each layer in half, horizontally, making 4 layers total. Sprinkle layers with the 1/2 cup kirshwasser.

4 In a medium bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add confectioners sugar, pinch of salt, and coffee; beat until smooth. If the consistency is too thick, add a couple teaspoons of cherry juice or milk. Spread first layer of cake with 1/3 of the filling. Top with 1/3 of the cherries. Repeat with the remaining layers.

5 In a separate bowl, whip the cream to stiff peaks. Beat in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1 tablespoon kirshwasser. Frost top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with chocolate curls made by using a potato peeler on semisweet baking chocolate.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth

Abear 10-27-2003 06:41 PM

Re: Here Are the Appetizer Recipes!

Quote:

Originally posted by ewriggs
Soft Pretzels and yellow mustard

OK, I cheated! I sent my SIL up to Auntie Anne's to pick up 2 doz soft pretzels! They were delicious! We served them with good old French's mustard.

With everything else that you were making and had going on, you had every right to do this! It really isn't "cheating" in my book!

All of your recipes look absolutely delicious!

I can tell that no one went home hungry....... or (as my Dad would say) if they did, it was their own fault! ;) ;)

ewriggs 10-27-2003 06:51 PM

Putting the Party Together

First I doled out the recipes to DD, DIL and DS's. I constructed a master grocery list based on the ingredient lists from the recipes I was going to prepare (so did the DD, DIL and DS's - they are all smart cookies!)

I looked up info about Oktoberfest on the internet, and saw to it that we had light blue and white paper plates, streamers, paper table covers, etc.

I went to e-music.com and downloaded their 3 albums of polkas and oompah music. Then I searched for the chicken dance, and downloaded the midi files of that.

Everyone was on board and enthusiastic.

Day before, I did last minute shopping, and that night I prepared the Bavarian Pot Roast, the Marinated Tomatoes and the Red Soup. I refrigerated all the beer and wine (I got about 8 different kinds plus a bottle of Rhine wine, and bottle of Liebfraumilch, and another German wine I can't remember the name of...).

Day of, I boiled the brats in beer and DIL came over to make the Red Cabbage and Onions.

DS brought his chicken recipe all done except for needing to be heated up, and brought ice for the ice chests. He kindly put the ice in the ice chests, put the beer and wine in the chests and set them on the patio.

DD did the German Potato salad at home, and added the hot dressing here at the last minute. She baked the cakes at home and brought them ready to eat.

SonIL grilled the brats.

About 2:30pm, we dug in. We ate and talked and drank beer and wine until about 8pm, at which time DH took his sister home and everyone else left, too.

At one point, we had 9 adults and 8 kids in the backyard and on the patio.

Everyone had a wonderful time, and we all agreed we will do this on an annual basis. It was great! Next year, I'll have some beer mugs laser-etched by a friend with a logo we devise and our names on them.

This should be an absolute annual blast!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth

ewriggs 07-30-2004 06:24 PM

Starting Planning for 2004 Oktoberfest!

Hi y'all -

We are starting to plan for this year's Oktoberfest. We'll have it on October 9th to "catch" the most grandchildren.

You can see last year's menu in the posts above. Any suggestions for other dishes for this year??

Cheerio!