Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 02-15-2002, 08:43 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Amish/ Mennonite Recipes

I'm always looking for good Amish and/or Mennonite recipes. I love to cook real food and appreciate recipes with simple ingredients. I'd love to hear from others with such recipes to share.
Old 02-20-2002, 03:27 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky Amish Recipes

Here are afew Amish recipes that I found in my recipe collection. I hope some of these will be to your liking.
Cindy C.

AMISH COUNTRY CASSEROLE
1 lb. beef chunks or ground beef
1 chopped onion
1 can tomato soup
1 lb. egg noodles
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 tbsp. olive oil
Saute chopped onion in olive oil. Add beef. Cook well. Add can of tomato soup undiluted. Cook egg noodles according to directions on package. Drain well. Add can of cream of mushroom soup, undiluted. Grease casserole dish. Place 1/2 of beef mixture in bottom of casserole. Add 1/2 of noodle mixture. Put rest of beef on noodles. Add remaining noodles. If desired, sprinkle paprika lightly over top of noodles. Bake in 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, or until bubbly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
POOR MAN'S STEAK - Amish Recipe
3 lb. hamburger
1-cup cracker crumbs
Salt & pepper
1/4 c. chopped onion
1-2 cans mushroom soup
Mix well and press onto cookie sheet. Chill overnight to set. Cut in squares, roll in flour and brown both sides. Place in baking dish. Pour soup over meat mixture. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SWISS AMISH MEAT LOAF
1 egg
1/2 c. evaporated milk
1/2 tsp. rubbed sage
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1 c. Ritz cracker crumbs
3/4 c. grated Swiss cheese
1/4 c. finely chopped onion
2-3 strips bacon, cut in 1" pieces
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat the egg in a large bowl. Add evaporated milk, sage, salt and pepper, and mix. Add beef, crumbs, 1/2 cup of the cheese and the onion; blend. Form into a loaf and place in a 2 quart rectangular baking dish. Arrange bacon pieces on top of loaf. Bake 40 minutes. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bake 10 minutes longer.
AMISH MEATLOAF (a tiny bit different)
1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 beaten egg
1/2 tsp. sage
1/2 c. Pet milk
About 2 cups Ritz crackers (crushed)
1/4 c. onion
1/2 c. Swiss cheese (shredded) plus some extra
Salt and pepper
Mix all above together; pat into an oval loaf in a baking dish. Put the extra shredded Swiss cheese over top of loaf. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Will freeze well.
PENNSYLVANIA DUTCH AMISH DESSERT
OH! this is gooood!!!
2 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese
2/3 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. almond flavoring
TOPPING:
1 (8 oz.) sour cream
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla

Mix together in mixmaster, put in greased 9 inch glass pie pan. Bake at 340 degrees 35 minutes. Let set for 10 minutes then add topping. Mix topping ingredients in mixmaster and put on top and bake at 340 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool and refrigerate. May be served topped with strawberries or raspberries.
~~~~~~~~
AMISH CUSTARD
1 c. flour
1 stick butter
1 c. chopped pecans
8 oz. cream cheese
1 c. powdered sugar
1 c. Cool Whip
Instant chocolate pudding

CRUST: Melt butter, add flour and pecans. Spread mixture in bottom of 8 1/2 x 14 inch cake pan. Make pudding by directions on box. Mix cream cheese, powdered sugar and Cool Whip until blended well. Cook crust at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Let cool. Layer mixtures on crust. First cream cheese mixture, then chocolate pudding. Top with Cool Whip and sprinkle chopped pecans on Cool Whip (can use any flavor of pudding).
FAMOUS AMISH FUNNEL CAKES
3 eggs, beaten
2 c. milk
1/4 c. sugar
4 c. flour, sifted
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. Salt

To beaten eggs, add milk and sugar. In separate bowl sift dry ingredients. Add to egg mixture, beating until smooth. Heat oil to 375 degrees and pour batter into hot fat through a regular household funnel. Control the flow of batter by holding your finger over the bottom of the funnel. Make patterns, designs, swirls or whatever with the stream of batter as it flows into the hot fat. When "cakes" are golden brown, drain, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and serve warm.
AMISH LEMON SPONGE
2 1/2 c. sifted cake flour
1 tsp. salt
2/3 c. shortening
1/3 c. cold water (approximately)

FILLING FOR ONE 9" UNCOOKED PIE SHELL:
2 tbsp. butter
1 c. sugar
3 eggs, separated
3 tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
Lemon juice & rind of 1 lemon
1 1/2 c. hot milk

Measure sifted flour, add salt and sift again. Cut in shortening using a pastry blender or two knifes. Sprinkle with water mixing lightly with fork. press into ball. Makes enough pastry for a 9 inch two crust pie or two shells.
Cream butter; add sugar and egg yolks. Beat until light and fluffy. Stir in flour, salt, lemon juice, rind and hot milk. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Bake in 400 degree oven for approximately 40 minutes. Serves 6 at 371 calories per serving.
Amish Bread Pudding
1 1/2 cups stale bread cubes.
2 tbs. butter.
1/2 cup white or brown sugar.
2 eggs well beaten.
2 cups milk.
1/2 tsp cinnamon.
1 tsp vanilla.
Raisins.

Put bread cubes into a greased baking dish. I usually double the
recipe and use a 9 by 13 pan. Mix sugar, butter, and eggs, to this
add milk, cinnamon and vanilla. Sprinkle raisins over cubed bread,
there is no set amount just what ever you want. Next pour liquid
mixture over bread and raisins and bake for 30 minutes in a 350 F
oven. It may take a little longer if you double the recipe. It is an
easy recipe and very good especially in the cold winter. Hope you try it and enjoy it.

Old 02-20-2002, 07:14 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks tremendously for so many recipes to try. I can't wait to get started!
Old 03-03-2002, 06:07 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky amish receipes

For any interested, in one of our daily papers there is a column handwritten by an amish lady. She has receipes in it as well as what has been happening in her life.
Anyone who would like to see them can find it at
www.theamishcook.com
Old 03-04-2002, 08:02 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for the site

Thanks, I'm going to that site now.
Old 03-04-2002, 10:34 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

THANK YOU Grandmahogg

I love the Amish site. It is so full of wonderful recipes and interesting Amish practices. Elizabeth is such a sweet person to do this for all of us 'outsiders'. And Editor Kevin deserves a big hand also. Thank you Grandmahogg for sending us this info.

Old 03-04-2002, 10:39 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle Tried a Recipe

Hi,
I wanted to say that I tried the Poor Man's Steak recipe....but I messed up. It was still really good though but not as easy to work with. I put a can of soup into the meat before chilling. I, like a dolt, didn't read the recipe carefully enough. Anyway, the meat was harder to handle than it should have been. This dish is very rich and wonderful. Also I cut the recipe in half and still added the can of soup in the end as well.
Old 03-06-2002, 09:18 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Amish

I am glad you enjoyed the site. If you ever get to northern Indiana, in a town called Nappanee, there is a place called AMISH ACRES. It is a touristy type place, but youcan take buggy rides, see how an amish family lives, see different things. You can buy trinkets, collectables, foods and such. The have quite alot for you to do. There is also BORHOLDERS DUTH VILLAGE, in the same area. Lots of stuff to look at and buy. Plus you will be in amish territiory and can see them all around. I have lived with them all my life, but I still learn new things once in awhile.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:43 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello everyone!

I have a question and hope someone can help me out.

My Dad's family is from the PA Dutch area of PA, York to Wellsville. My grandmother made a delicious dish she called Lancaster Pot Pie. It was like a really thick stew with homemade egg noodles in it. I have looked for it for years and can't find it.

Does anyone know what I am talking about and have the recipe? I think grandma used a pork roast in hers, but she passed almost 20 years ago so it's been years since I have had it.

Ruthey
Old 03-14-2004, 12:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I havent found one made with pork yet but I did find this one......

http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/pa/l/pal39016.htm

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Heritage Recipe
Chicken Pot Pie

Virtual Cities Chicken Pot Pie was a family favorite at my Mom's home. When chicken pot pie was made at Mom's, plans were changed to make it to dinner when invited. The last meal she made for us before her sudden death was a "spur of the moment" Monday evening dinner of what else, pot pie. I have written the recipe as close as possible, the real recipe was "a little flour, dash of salt and add water till it holds together." Side dishes were made up of a favorite vegetable or salads of those around the table. ... Debbie Hershey (former innkeeper)

Ingredients:
1 chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
Salt and pepper
Parsley
Celery (cut into small pieces)
Water to cover
Potatoes (3 to 4)
Dough:
2 cups flour
Salt
2 to 3 Tablespoons water
Cook chicken, seasonings and celery in water until almost tender. Add potatoes and cook until soft.

Mix dough ingredients to form a ball. Roll thin, and cut into 2-inch squares. Drop into boiling broth and cook for 15 minutes.

Apple Bin Inn Bed and Breakfast

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!