Pork Souvlaki

• This recipe was orginally posted in Jan 2011 What's for Dinner thread by ajrsmom.

Pork Souvlaki

4 T. olive oil
    6 T. lemon juice
    6 tsp "no salt" lemon pepper seasoning
    4 tsp ground garlic

Mix together in a gallon-sized plastic baggie.

Chunk 2lbs of pork tenderloin into 2 in. cubes. Add the pork to the marinade. Shake well to cover all of the meat. Refrigerate for 6 hrs - overnight.

String the pork onto the kebab holders being sure not to crowd the meat.

Grill on high heat for 3 minutes on each side.
  • Bilby has given this recipe a blue ribbon.

Congrats Tami. Sounds good. Will have to have dh try this. Grills and I don't get along too well. LOL

Thank you Kathy for being a recipe tester and trying this recipe.
  • Congrats Tami. Will have my son try this.. he's the one does alot of grilling.
  • Thanks, Kathy!!

This has become one of our favorite meals. You could always broil or bake the pork instead of grilling it. You could even marinate the meat and cook it in the crockpot.
  • Yep if you don't want the skewers the meat alone would be great this way.
    Do you have tzatziki with it or a Greek yoghurt with lemon juice, chopped fresh mint and cumin is nice over the top of the meat.
  • In that case, I believe I will try it in the crockpot.
  • Tell us how it runs out Sharon.

I use lamb chops the most so will probably keep that recipe for that, hmmm might go nicely over a roast lamb as lemon and lamb are good partners.
  • Quote: Tell us how it runs out Sharon.

I use lamb chops the most so will probably keep that recipe for that, hmmm might go nicely over a roast lamb as lemon and lamb are good partners.
    I love lamb but have never tried cooking it. Any suggestions, Kathy?

I love tzatziki sauce with my pork but my family uses steak sauce. ROFL!! None of them like sour cream or greek yogurt.
  • Tami to be honest I have the most luck when I roast lamb or when I slow cook lamb.
    So my usual way is to cook for at least 90-120 mins in a lidded cast iron casserole dish. Falls of the bone, can use lamb shanks as well.
    My usual mix is to measure 1 juiced lemon then to put that and 10% more in mint sauce with some rosemary, dry or fresh twigs.
    Lamb is a very fatty meat so this way of cooking it keeps it really moist, I then I pop meat on a paper towel to quickly blot off a bit of the oil, plate then I top with either new mint sauce (none of the fat) or the yoghurt.

If you want to ease your family into sour cream or the greek yoghurt mix with mayo as a salad dressing and increase if no one mentions the new taste LOL On nachos, burritos...

I go for the greek yoghurt before the sour cream, less calories or better calories, I love it on my roast veg or chips or potato wedges, yum!

Only my opinion I've no idea how others cook it.