Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 09-29-2004, 09:23 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Yakimando (Korean Egg Rolls)

This recipe is hard for me to write down because my mother's way of measuring things is to use her knuckle joints. Palm up - each knuckle joints down to palm is a different measurement - I still haven't figured it out. LOL (I have americanized this recipe somewhat because I like alot more of the vegies - the traditional ones are pork, cabbage, been sprouts, maybe one other vegie and they are wrapped in an egg flour shell)

When I prepare these, I make enough to feed an army because my boys love them, they 're always inviting all their friends over and they are alot of work, so make alot!!

6 - 8 pkgs wonton skins (square 3 - 4" - best ones are from an oriental market)
2 lb. ground beef (thawed and pull out of fridge 30 min before or you'll freeze your fingers!)
1 - 1/2 lb. ground pork
1 head cabbage (washed and finely chopped)
1 - 2 lbs. bean sprouts (fresh - no brown spots, washed and chopped)
2 cups shredded carrots
1 pkg mushrooms (chopped)
1 med onion - chopped finely
1 bunch green onion (chopped - halfway up green stalk)
sesame seeds (toasted)
2 - 3 eggs
season to taste (I know this sounds wierd because the meat is raw - you're not eating the raw meat but you can taste a tiny bit of the vegies to see if flavor is ok.)

Seasonings:
soy sauce
sugar
fresh ground garlic
pepper
sesame seed oil

Preparation:
Mix all ingredients together in large bowl. I use both hands to mix everything together - almost like kneading bread. Add eggs and seasonings and mix very thoroughly.

Break an egg into small bowl(s) and add a little water - this is used to seal the edges of the skins.

I "roll" everything on wax paper and all 4 of my boys know how to roll yakimando!

Lay out wonton skins (the best ones have a nice potato or rice starch powder on them).
Dip finger into egg/water mixture and "paint" edges of skins. Drop one tsp. of mixture in middle of square skin. Roll up bottom first, bring in sides and finish rolling making sure the egg mixture makes good contact and seals in mixture. If skin tears, replace with another one - these torn ones burn easier.

I boil all my egg rolls first to precook meat - that way they are not in fryer for very long. I boil them for about 2 - 3 minutes - if you boil too long, the skins fall right off! These are good to eat boiled - this is my favorite. You can freeze them at this stage too (let cool down completely before storing in freezer bag).

After egg rolls have drained and cooled down a little, they need to look firm. Deep fry for 2 - 4 minutes. Serve hot with ketchup and wasabi sauce (Chinese horseradish), or Hot Mustard (pure mustard not prepared), or soycauce.

I know this sounds like alot of work, it is! But it is so well worth it!!!!!

My FC Member Awards!

Curious?
Old 12-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thank you for sharing, your recipe sounds wonderful!

I was doing a search for yakimando since my husband wants me to learn how to make them. He says they are potstickers with a pork filling. He had them while stationed in Korea and cannot forget how good they were!