Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 01-17-2003, 07:05 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I cut my water bill!

It took me a few months to see the results, but I cut my water bill by almost 30 dollars! I've been doing things like bathing both kids together, taking shorter showers, etc. I've also been trying to cut down on the amount of laundry, but haven't quite got the hang of that yet lol!

I also have kept the gas bill less than $150. It's been tough because it's cold!! But I hang the laundry and wash all I can in cold water. And we use more clothes and blankets instead of turning up the heat.

I'm glad this is working--I was really starting to wonder if all the effort was worth it! But it is--I was so excited to see the water bill come down.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:08 PM
Nine Year Member

I keep hearing about cold water laundry but I like the hot water for the bacterial killing. Our washer heats the intake water from 120F to 140F. We do not use bleach because it is too hard on the septic tank digestion.

What other alternatives are there to reducing our hot water costs besides the showers being shortened and using the dishwasher more than handwashing?

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 12-08-2006, 06:53 AM
Head Moderator

Here is a link that mentions lots of things for saving on the water bill.

http://www.thefrugallife.com/waterbill.html

When we lived in the city and had a water bill we installed little gadgets in the shower heads that limited the water flow also, the kids never noticed it!

I use only cold water to wash in, in fact my washing machine is set up only to use cold water, with the newer soaps it cleans as well. And I too have a spetic and can't use bleach, but I can use Clorox 2 for colors; says on it "safe for Septics", I use it in every wash load even whites.

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life
Old 12-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Nine Year Member

Does the non-chlorine bleach disinfect?

Old 12-09-2006, 02:28 AM
Head Moderator

That I'm not really sure of but I figure it can;t hurt and since that is all I canuse because of the septic I just automatically use it in all loads. I guess I could do some research on that question!

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

Old 12-10-2006, 08:30 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ellen, you may want to try using vinegar in the rinse water(I use one of those Downy balls)--it has mild disinfectant qualities and is safe for septics.

You may also want to look into one of those hot water tank blankets--they wrap around your tank and keep it insulated. You don't have to wait forever for the hot water to finally get to the tap lol!! And they'll help w/ the electric bill, too.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Head Moderator

Your mention of the wrap for the hot water tank made me think of something, when we built we had a tankless hot water heater put in. No heating water till you turn a faucet on; really saves on the electirc bill because it isn't keeping water hot when not needed! Ours is the size of a large city phone book and hangs on the wall, a geat space saver too!

Old 02-09-2007, 06:27 AM
Nine Year Member

I reuse water when possible such as when cooking let the water cool and water plants with it.

When I fill the wading pool I place it near the garden so I can easily dump the water out in the garden.

I don't bag up grass trimmings to put in the trash, I use them around the plants in my garden which helps retain moisture and fertilize the garden as the grass decomposes.

Roberta
Old 02-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Nine Year Member

Sometimes the only way I can get that musty smell out of the towels is to use some borax and then some vinegar in the rinse trough. Great idea!

I know about the hot water tank blanket! I looked at the ones in the home store and they were thin and expensive. We had a roll of 4 inch insulation that one side was papered so I wrapped that around the heater and secured it with duct tape. Then I made a lid for the top, cutting around the ports and all. That was some years ago and dh I think got some new respect for me after that.

Recently I was searching for bird bath heaters and saw on a plumbing site some long thin line heaters to put along the pipes in your house to keep them from freezing. If you have a risky pipe run it might be worth it to have one. They come in different wattages and lengths. I think the electricity cost would far outweigh the cost of a frozen line and the damages that costs.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have used a cup of vinager and a capful of Listerine in musty smelling clothes.

About hot water to wash with... I use warm for whites, towels and sheets. I am supposed to use hot water for sheets but I can't make myself do it. I will have to when I open my business. I wash everything else in cold. My thoughts are soap kills germs......