Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 02-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Head Moderator

You might look at a farm suppluy store if you have any near you; I know both of ours carry the bird bath heaters not too expensive either. I can PM you the web sites for them if you want them if you don't have any near you; just let me know!
Old 02-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Nine Year Member

Thanks catlover! yes, please send the websites bec it seems like only a $40 heater will do when I did the websearch and that is too much. We had bought a heated birdbath we mounted to the deck rail and within one season the bottom fell out, the heater wires broke. My dh repaired them. We got one more season out of it and gave up. We then traded in for another but same problem only this time the cord was short and wouldn't store in the bottom properly during summer use. And then the heater element broke. This was a $40 item so we don't want to go there again.

BTW tell me how your little kitties like the birds at the bath???? LOL!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 02-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Nine Year Member

Ellen, are bird feeder heaters different than fish tank heaters? If you keep it submerged I would think one would work.

Roberta
Old 02-10-2007, 04:33 AM
Head Moderator

The bird bath heaters are a round coiled heater that fits in the bird bath really nice. Not sure the fish tank heaters would take the cold outside as well and aren't designed well enough to stay "fitted" into a bird bath.

Ellen; I emailed you the sites; hope you find what you want to pay. And yes, the cats just love watching the birds! I giuess because we feed and water them we have almost as many in the winter as we do in the summer. Doves nest in the evergreens as well as others. We have a tremendous amount of red cardinals in the winter and so many others; lots of fun watching them! ANd... the chickens go stand below all the bird feeders waiting for the birds to spill out feed! LOL We have five feeders up across from the house at the edge of the woods, three bird baths scattered around and then they also drink out of the creek bed across from the house.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We keep buckets in the showers for catching the excess. Sometimes, a bucket tipped in the loo can save a flush, or we use for the garden. Fill the kettle while waiting for the hot wtaer to reach kitchen sink. Wash full loads in dishwasher and laundry. Save washing machine water for garden as well. These things all seem to work for us, and help save water. More important than the $$ at the moment as we are in a bad drought (although there was some rain last night and today)
Old 02-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Nine Year Member

I've heard of people in drought areas redirecting their washing machine water to go into holding tanks that they then used to water their garden, flowers and yard to keep them alive. They hand washed dishes in a container to also use the water for watering.

Roberta
Old 02-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Nine Year Member

Thank you Aussie friends for giving good examples of ways to be frugal with water. I think I will post a sign by our water faucets and shower heads, SAVE WATER if not for us, Then for OUR FRIENDS across the world!

DH and I are thinking of ways to do the bird heater thing. He doesn't want to spend any more money. He thinks 'none of them will work." I don't think this is true. What brands have you all had success with?

And I haven't checked my email yet catlover. After FC! thanks for mailing...

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 08-06-2015, 02:52 PM
Head Moderator

bump