Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Empty Nesters

Empty Nesters Are all of your kids gone? Need to talk to those in your situation? Stop by here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 06-15-2002, 07:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

A teary day...

Ok, I admit it....I am a weeper. Last night, hubby and I were dicsussing our eldest (20 yo son) and his seeming restlessness. He is unsure about continuing college, but unsure of what to do. Has a job but is also fgeeling the need to "get away" Now I know this is normal for this age group, but mu "mama's heart" is a bit sore today. I rejoice that is is feeling the need to get out on his own, but am uncertain if he is ready. I am feeling the seperation even now...I was at the store today and started to tear up in the produce section. **Oh, for heaven's sake!** I guess this is the process???

Hsma
Old 06-16-2002, 05:13 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hsma,

I know how your mother's heart aches for your boy. My "baby boy" is 20 going on 21. He has been in the Naval Airforce for 1 1/2 years now. He doesn't really like it, but is getting a good education. Yesterday he phoned to say that he has earned 23 college credits through Navy schooling and is planning to start regular college courses soon. I am glad to hear that, but constantly pray for his safety on the job and because he is in the military at such a time of unrest. Our babies are never are out of the reach of our prayers and thoughts even when they are half way around the world.
Chin up
Linda
Old 06-17-2002, 09:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thanks!!

Thanks Lind!!!

I guess I just need to know that I am not the only one....and Yes, I do pray for wisdom and more wisdom!! Thanks again for sharing your story.

HSma
Old 06-18-2002, 04:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Whew what a nightmare! I changed internet providers and changing all the email addresses takes forever! Anyway I'm now [email protected]k.net Now I need to find out how to change it on this board.

HsMa I understand the weeping! I have two 20 year-olds and they can't decide what to do--go--stay...I spend days crying then I start thinking maybe it won't be so bad then they change their minds!

Linda, if it is okay with you I will pray for your son's safety.

Kathy, I'm rewriting the book I just finished. I'm bad because I'm like a kid I'd rather play than work and for me writing something new is play!

Diana

Old 06-19-2002, 03:13 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Diana,
I would welcome your prayers for my son. He called over the weekend and is all excited. He is going to Nevada for a "det to fallon". He said that only means that a small detachment of men are going for training. This training is referred to as "top gun" training. He is an F18 and F16 maintenance mechanic. His responsiblity is to maintain cabin pressure, ejection seats, oxygen, etc. for the fighter pilot. Also, directs landings, static removal from "just landed" aircraft, etc. His pilots are among the "top gun" fighters. He also received a letter of commendation and is receiving another promotion soon. Do I sound like a proud mom? I think I am more pleased than proud, but very aware he and those he serves with are in great need of prayer for wisdom and safety. His name is John. Thank you again for your prayers. It means a great deal to me.
Have a wonderful day
Linda
Old 06-19-2002, 07:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Linda,
You should be proud. He sounds like a wonderful son. I'll put John on my prayer list.

Diana

Old 08-08-2002, 12:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Linda,
How is your son?

Where did everyone go?

I've recovered and my knee is fine but now my elbow is a mess. So how come now that I'm almost able to do what I want everything hurts? I had great plans of taking up racket ball again. Ha!

Kathy,
I'm re-writing a book about a woman trucker. She gets paired with a good looking man, the problem is...he's a pastor and she's sworn off religon.

Diana

Old 08-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well, I'm offically an empty nester now. My baby has moved into the dorms @ college (a whole less than 5 miles away) she is so excited!
When the oldest dd got married and left, I knew she would be close by and she has. She had 4 children from age 13 to 2 yrs! Amazing how often I see her when she needs a babysitter.lol We had to push the ds out as his life choices were not how we raised him, but the school of hard knocks has made him appreciate us more and he had most of his kinks ironed out. Now our baby is gone, the perfect child until she turned 18 and entered the stage most girls hit at 12 or 13, but her rebellion stage wasn't that bad. Guess that makes her a "late Bloomer" lol for that. She has been in college for 4 yrs. but has changed her major twice and has to go an extra yr., which she is spending in the dorm. She said she wanted to know what it was like to live away from us and thats fine as long as she calls once in a while and says "I'm still alive and fine".
Sometimes I feel guilty because it hasn't affected me as badly as everyone said it would,.......... but I can arrange MY kitchen the way I want it and the rest of the house too! It will take me a while as I'm a little challanged, but after hip and shoulder surgery I should be able to do a lot more and faster too! In the meantime, I move slowly and get a little done at a time, and look forward to the grandkids coming and helping me out....................except the 2 yr old

Vivian
Old 10-06-2006, 02:30 PM
Head Moderator
FamilyCorner Addict

DH and I have been empty nesters since 2000! For a few years before that we had the "move- in & move-out" DS's. For one reason or another they always managed to move back home in between moves.

Finally in 2002 DH and I moved! The DS's didn't believe we were really going! We had our dream log home built and moved 60 miles away! Now we don't see them as often, but that has worked out well for us both. We don't interfere with their lives and they come and see us when they have time. We usually stop during the day when we are in Louisville and see them so it works out fine.

Back when each "first" moved out it was very hard not to have them there at " home". But we all adjusted and everyone has done fine!

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life
Old 10-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

well I'm not quite an emptynester but almost. Our oldest son moved out when he was 18 straight to his grandparents basement. That was 8 years ago. Middle child DD just got married last weekend so now she is gone. that is easier in some ways and harder in others. Youngest DS sleeps at home but is rarely here otherwise.
I'm trying to get ambition up to redecorate 1 bedroom into a sewing/craft room and the other into a library/guest room. Have lots of plans in my head but haven't actually done any yet.
Iris