Empty nesters - Page 7 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Empty Nesters Are all of your kids gone? Need to talk to those in your situation? Stop by here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 06-08-2002, 04:30 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We rarely eat out because I have an alergy to gluten, so no flour or anything that has touched flour. What a pain! So we do all of cooking and eating at home, except for the occasional treat, such as all natural ice cream. When you think of all the things that have flour ~ it is mind blowing!
Usually it is just the 2 of us on weekends and 2 of us if he is off the road at all during the week. So, I eat a lot of leftovers. I don't mind really. That is just the life of a trucker's wife. Mostly, I focus on everything except food, such as church activities, hobbies, grandkids, and friends.
Linda
Old 06-08-2002, 07:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My favorite eat out meals:
Lassagna
fijata's
and grilled chicken salad

Anything that requires lots of slicing, dicing and assembly in the kitchen I like to order out!
Diana

Old 06-08-2002, 10:11 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We don't mind leftovers but enjoy going out for dinner as well.I like having chicken souvlaki,lasagne,stuffed chicken breast or a good steak.

I enjoy cooking and like trying new recipes and am very happy when hubby likes what I make,that makes one more new thing I can add to the regular menu!I'm still having a hard time cutting back the amount of food that I cook,a lot of leftovers get put in the freezer but that is convenient.

We eat out about once a week,sometimes twice.
Old 06-08-2002, 12:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

What is chicken souvlaki?
Diana

Quote:
Originally posted by crochet fanatic
We don't mind leftovers but enjoy going out for dinner as well.I like having chicken souvlaki,lasagne,stuffed chicken breast or a good steak.

Old 06-08-2002, 01:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi All, and especially Diana,

I love to write and have been trying to get up the courage to attempt publication. How did you get published? Any tips? I would appreciate any help! I'm hoping to write to prevent cabin fever and would love to make money at it!!!!

Old 06-08-2002, 10:19 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Diana,Chicken Souvlaki is a Greek dish,it's chicken breast chunks marinated in a mixture of olive oil,lemon juice and oregano,also garlic,then put on skewars and grilled.It's usually served with rice and Greek salad.Yummy!I made it at home last week and hubby said it was as good as the stuff at the restaurant where we go.I told him we'll still be going out for souvlaki.He loves my chinese food and hates eating it when he's out,I love going out for Chinese food!
Old 06-09-2002, 08:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Oh this sounds so good! Can I please have the reciepe?
Diana

Quote:
Originally posted by crochet fanatic
Diana,Chicken Souvlaki is a Greek dish,it's chicken breast chunks marinated in a mixture of olive oil,lemon juice and oregano,also garlic,then put on skewars and grilled.It's usually served with rice and Greek salad.Yummy!I made it at home last week and hubby said it was as good as the stuff at the restaurant where we go.I told him we'll still be going out for souvlaki.He loves my chinese food and hates eating it when he's out,I love going out for Chinese food!

Old 06-09-2002, 08:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Re: Hi All, and especially Diana,

If you love to write...I'm sorry. You have the bug. LOL. email me at [email protected] and I'll tell you what I can. That way we don't drive the rest of the board nuts.
Diana

Quote:
Originally posted by RicaBFH
I love to write and have been trying to get up the courage to attempt publication. How did you get published? Any tips? I would appreciate any help! I'm hoping to write to prevent cabin fever and would love to make money at it!!!!

Old 06-09-2002, 09:46 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

To Diana:Here's the recipe that I use.

Chicken Souvlaki

I take 2 chicken breasts,boneless,skinless and cut them into quite big chunks.Put them in a glass bowl.Add enough olive oil to coat them well.Then,I squeeze 2-3 lemons and put the juice in,also cut the lemons into chunks and throw them in the bowl as well.I chop 2 garlic cloves and put them in and also some oregano,dried or fresh chopped.I don't usually measure this but about half a tablespoon of dry or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh.You can also add some dry red wine if you like,I don't bother.You toss it all together,cover it and put it in the fridge for at least 8 hours.Stir once or twice to make sure the mixture is all over the chicken.Then you thread the chicken onto skewars,I use metal,and grill them on medium heat for about 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.I turn them as they cook,this gives them grill marks.I serve this with a rice pilaf made with rice and chicken broth and also a Greek salad.Enjoy!!
Old 06-10-2002, 06:32 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Only a SAHM could understand that!

Coacheswife, only a SAHM mom could relate to all that you said in your post. I completely agree and even though my nest is newly emptied, I don't wanna go to work. I always thought I would but now it's like I can't stand the thought of it. I LOVE puttering around here, doing what a SAHW&M does. The kids love being able to call at any time during the day to talk or come home whenever too. If I worked full time, there wouldn't be time for that. I feel so fortunate, like you did, having been able to have stayed home with my babies. It was wonderful! You know what's funny? Everytime we have a rainy or snowy day, my grown kids think you're SUPPOSED to bake cookies! It makes me smile cuz I know why they think that. Aaaaahhhhh it was wonderful being at home with my babies and now being at home without them is wonderful too.