Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Empty Nesters

Empty Nesters Are all of your kids gone? Need to talk to those in your situation? Stop by here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 06-04-2002, 01:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Diana, I think you may be right!!!! We were switched at birth!!!!!
How funny!!!!!!

I can't believe the librarian would not let you check out a book because you had checked it out too often!!!! She should have been glad you were reading!!!!!! What was she thinking???? Apparently she wasn't!!!!!

Well, you go out and dance now and I am going to stay home and read!!! This is just too funny!!!! Kathy
Old 06-04-2002, 01:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Empty nesters

CarolRae
New Neighbor

Hi to everyone! I've been an empty nester for a few years now so I hope I can join in here. I think I'm probably older than most of you(51), but find that I don't fit in any place either. Can't find any websites or newsletters that seem to fit and when I came across this topic I was thrilled! I quit my job last summer because I LOVE being at home. Alot of people that I worked with couldn't understand why I would give up a good job just to be at home. But life is too short not to enjoy every minute and I am certainly enjoying myself now. I have many hobbies to keep me busy, but I've gotten hooked on the computer so that is my main hobby right now. I also enjoy reading, gardening, crocheting, knitting and x-stitch. We also have 2 dogs that keep me company. We have 3 kids that are grown and married and 4 grandkids. I love being a Grandma. It's the greatest!! I'm looking forward to getting better acquainted with all of you!

Carol
Old 06-04-2002, 02:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Linda,
thanks for not laughing and the compliments.

I would love to be able to paint and draw! You must be doing well to be 'framed!'
Diana

Old 06-04-2002, 02:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Re: Empty nesters

Hi Carol,

I can't wait to be a grandmother! Everyone makes it sound like so much fun and you have four of them! Lucky!
Diana

Old 06-04-2002, 02:30 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I love staying at home too. When the kids all got in school
full time I went to work at school so I could have vacations
with them. I love having the summer etc., but now with all of
them leaving home I am glad I work at school yet have alot
of free time.
People think we are crazy to love being home...I loved it when
the kids were little and I didn't have to wake them up for a sitter
or during the winter we could stay in our jammies all day while
it snowed furiously out. I love to smell baking out of the kitchen,
folding clothes, making a great bed, running the vacuum....how
funny that these are the things I am good at, but I loved it
and believe me after listening to the kids who are now growing
up, they did to....lucky us who love staying home....and now they
know that the nest that is emptying is always a safe haven to
come back to when they need advice, a shoulder to cry on or
just to sit at the table and talk and talk and talk.
Old 06-04-2002, 03:29 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

coacheswife,
Wow! You said what most of us think and very well, indeed!!! Being home for the children as they grew up and now to be here when they need to call or visit or just have the grandchildren for a few days at a time... the nest really isn't all that empty. It really is a haven to us and to those we lovingly serve!

Diana,
I've not been painting all that long, but have wanted to learn for a very long time. I began with one stroke painting and then added decorative painting. It is so relaxing. I really couldn't draw a stick figure very well, but with the techniques you learn with decorative and one stroke painting I think anyone could learn to paint.
I wish I could write, too. I do keep a journal.
to all,
Linda
Old 06-04-2002, 04:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Carol, you definitely aren't too old as I am 51 also!!! We have almost the same interests except for the gardening and the knitting. I don't like gardening (too hot and humid) and I don't know how to knit but all the other things you listed I like to do too!!! I get the impression that most of the other ladies are younger too. I don't have any grandchildren yet because my son died shortly after his 18th birthday. He was 7 years older than my daughter and she will be a junior in college in the fall. So we don't want her to have any children yet!! I got to babysit last Tuesday for an 18 month old and she and I had so much fun!!! It was almost like having a grandchild!!! Someday it will happen!!!
Kathy
Old 06-04-2002, 04:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Linda says: but with the techniques you learn with decorative and one stroke painting I think anyone could learn to paint.

Linda, I don't know!! I have a tough time just with tole painting!!!! LOL Sometimes I think the brush does it's own thing when it gets in my hand!!!! LOL Kathy
Old 06-04-2002, 04:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Well said Coacheswife!

Kathy, sorry to hear you lost a son.

Linda, maybe someday I'll try painting. I have a love affair going with a tree. I keep drawing the same one, have been for about fifteen years. Maybe I should do something with it!
Diana

Old 06-05-2002, 03:18 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

51? 51! That seems to be the magic number here. I am 51, too, but will turn 52 at the end of this month. It's a good age. Old enough to enjoy the world of an empty nester and young enough to love doing things with the grandkids. We are just a short 15 minute drive from the Chesapeake Bay in Havre de Grace. Our grandkids love feeding the ducks, seagulls, and geese, but mostly playing in the sand and on the playground equipment. When I'm not pushing them on the swings or watching their latest "tricks" on the equipment, I just relax watching the water and sail boats. Ahhh.
Blessings,
Linda