Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Empty Nesters

Empty Nesters Are all of your kids gone? Need to talk to those in your situation? Stop by here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 06-02-2002, 01:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

39 and almost there!

Hi all!
I'm 39 and have been homeschooling my son while on workers comp suffering from severe bilateral carpal tunnel. We currently live in a HUGE mobile home park and I have a very dear friend right next door. This will all change in a month when we move to Washington state to an extremely rural area. DS wants to go back to public school, and I will probably put him back in public school as WA's schools are so much better than Florida's and he will not be living close to other kids his age. I am really very concerned for myself as I will not have a job and will be spending the majority of the days alone while the new hubby will be working and the son will be in school and I won't be able to run next door to my friend.

I plan to look into volunteer work, possibly at my son's school, or at nursing homes or hospitals. I will also be counting on my friends here.

Another thing that I do now is volunteer to email people who need friends. I do this through www.fidmmissions.org. Please check out this website and contact them at [email protected]. Tell them Frederica sent you!

I'm also open for suggestions on how I can avoid cabin fever!
Old 06-02-2002, 02:00 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi all. I love to go with my husband on the truck & even have my license to drive & drove with him for about 2 years after our daughters were grown. We enjoyed the time together but I missed not having a paycheck of my own & the truck became very small when we were together 24/7. I really enjoy the job that I have now working with the elderly & enabling them to remain living in their own homes. The pay isn't fantastic but it is very rewarding to me in a lot of other ways. I was a stay at home mom most of the time while our girls were growing up & get a real sense of personal satisfaction out of my job now. We are fortunate that both of our daughters & all of our grandchildren live close by so we can get together often. My youngest daughter is a nurse & my other daughter is a stay at home farmwife & mom to their 3 preschool sons. Both girls are very busy but we talk daily on the phone & get together at least once a week. We also always take a vacation together once a year. This year it is only 2 weeks away & I am really looking forward to it.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Linda and Kathy,
Thanks so much for your kind words. I was having a down day whan I wrote my post. I'm back up now and that's because of your encouraging words.

Linda, I take jazz lessons. I love it. I did my last recital on Saturday night. Here's a picture http://brandmeyer.homestead.com/recital.html if you want to see but promise not to laugh!

I write Christian romance. I have one published and am editing the second one to send off. This one I have enjoyed writing because it is about a woman trucker. I happen to love the sound of diesel engines.
Take care!
Diana

Quote:
Originally posted by reading51
Diana, I definitely don't think you should feel guilty!!! I think it is important that you are happy with what you are doing and it sounds as if you are!! That is what is important!! It sounds as if your life is full!!! A writer!!! How exciting!!! I have always thought I would like to write but that is about as far as it has gone!!! LOL What kind of dancing do you do? Kathy

Old 06-04-2002, 11:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Diana, Glad you're "back up"!!! Your picture is reallly neat!!!! I wouldn't think of laughing!!! I think it is great!! You have a full life and you enjoy what you are doing. How many other people can say that? Somehow you will have to fit your dancing into your plots in the writing of your books!! You go girl!!! Kathy
Old 06-04-2002, 12:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by reading51
Diana, Glad you're "back up"!!! Your picture is reallly neat!!!! I wouldn't think of laughing!!! I think it is great!! You have a full life and you enjoy what you are doing. How many other people can say that? Somehow you will have to fit your dancing into your plots in the writing of your books!! You go girl!!! Kathy
Thanks for checking it out Kathy. I try and tell myself evertime I get on stage that I'm brave but I think I will just take classes and skip the recital next year! LOL! I did use dance in my first book.
Diana

Old 06-04-2002, 12:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

You are a whole lot braver than I would be!!! LOL I took dancing lessons starting when I was 5. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now!!! LOL Glad you used the dancing in your book!!! Have a great day!!! Kathy
Old 06-04-2002, 12:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Kathy,
I didn't start dancing until I was 40! Maybe that's why I enjoy it. I always wanted to do it but there wasn't money when I was a kid. So it's like a dream come true for me.
Diana

Old 06-04-2002, 12:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

You could be right!! Kids so often don't appreciate what they do have!!! I had dancing lessons, baton lessons, horseback riding lessons, you name it!!! I just wanted to stay at home and read!!! LOL My DD took dancing and baton too but it was her choice!! She is a born performer!!! Must have gotten it from her father cause she sure didn't get it from me!!!! LOL Kathy
Old 06-04-2002, 12:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Kathy,
This is too funny! All I did was stay home and read! Maybe we were switched at birth and ended up in the opposite family! :p

My favorite book was Harriet the Spy. I checked it out so many times the librarian refused to let me take it anymore. Mean woman. Then I convinced her I would read three other books if I could take it out again.
Diana

Old 06-04-2002, 01:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Diana,
So glad to hear you are up again! We all have those down days and doubt about what we are doing.
I checked out your picture. I smiled ~ I didn't laugh. You are a beautiful and talented lady. I'm glad to have met you here in this forum.
I can't dance or sing for that matter. But, I have been learning to paint. I recently sent a card I had painted to a lady in our church. She liked it so much that she framed it and hung it on her wall. That really encouraged me and blessed my heart. That is what we are all here for really. . . blessing and encouraging.
Have a wonderful day.
Blessings,
Linda