Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Empty Nesters

Empty Nesters Are all of your kids gone? Need to talk to those in your situation? Stop by here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 05-31-2002, 01:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky Empty Nester

This is the first time I have ever written on here though I have read many!! I too am an empty nester!! My DD will be a junior in college in fall. My son (who was older) died 9 years ago. I too don't have all that "extra time" to get bored!!! I could sure use a few extra hours each day to "get bored"!!! LOL I do think though that a lot of it is spent on the internet!!! ;-) My DH and I own our own business. I do the books from here at home. I also like to read and do crafts. I am very impressed with the jars that Amanda has been doing!!! She is one talented lady!!! Let me know if I haven't followed the rules!!!
Old 06-01-2002, 06:42 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

HI I AM NEW here, saw your letter in the news letter.
I too am an at home mom both my kids are gone I am 45 yrs old
my daughter is 22 and lives in dallas tx... my son is 20 and lives an hr from us.
I do not work, I stay at home all day in this crappy town we live in. Inter net keeps me busy, I have a new computer and i love it. hasnt crashed once. well yeah it did when i first got it but it was programs in conflict...
My son is in rehap and aa. trying to get his life back in order he almost went to prison...
my daughter is going to be a teacher some day shes going to college and has a 2 yr old katelynn.... and a live in boy friend, they are getting married next summer, after she graduates. so to help pay for wedding were doing yard sales, craft fairs, fairs,
I am an art major I take art classes in the fall, and my husband and I bowl. There is no job market here so i cant work,Over qualified for what i can do. I take a few classes on line. free ones that is and they keep me busy some day I will actualy use the stuff that i have learnd..... ok off my soap box....
email me i will come in chat room that i found here yesterday love to talk.
jackie in hum drum arkansas
Old 06-01-2002, 07:45 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

hi. I am also an empty nester & have been for about 3 years. It does take some getting used to after having kids in the house for 25 years. I am enjoying the extra time with my wonderful hubby but he is a long distance trucker so isn't home as much as I would like. I have 3 grandsons & 1 grandaughter all preschoolers. They all love to come stay with grandma so when I get lonesome I invite one of them for some special time with grandma. I am also 43 so have a long time to go before retirement. I work in consumer dependent attendant care & spend most of my free time sewing & doing crafts of all types. Would love to hear from any other empty nesters.
Old 06-01-2002, 09:22 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

hi, I am a SAHM and an emptynester. I cried for two days when my daughter left for college. I went back to work parttime but i hated it . I found Iwas being payed less than my co workers who were in their teens. SO i quit. I focused on my marriage. My husband and I joined a gym together . We also started going on dates . I can honestly say there is life after children and it's great. Now we have to adjust my daughter being home from college this summer.
Old 06-02-2002, 02:26 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Poodylou,
My husband, too, is a trucker. I know what you mean about being alone a lot. Now that your nest is empty, can't you go with him from time to time?
I love having company and get lots of it in the summer since we live close to the Chesapeake Bay, but when I can, I love going with John on his truck. In fact, last summer we trucked for 8 straight weeks. I don't think I'd like to go for as long a stretch again, but we saw every state from Texas to Maine together and it was fun. We even took our cat, Tobi Mae and she had no problem adjusting to small quarters.
Just a thought.
Have a great day
Linda
Old 06-02-2002, 03:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi,
I'm almost there. My two oldest are 20 and seldom home and my youngest is 15. I know I still have time left with him but he seems to be gone often or 'unavailable' to do things.

I'm 45 and I realized in the last week how soon this time in my life will be over.

I've been trying to justify why I get to stay at home still. I love being at home. I'm a writer so I have that outlet. When I don't do that I quilt, read, work out at the YMCA and I belong to a dance class. Just had the recital last night! LOL! I think it will be my last one! I didn't start dancing until I was 40 so don't think it's to late to start.
So any words of advice on how to conquer the guilt of being able to stay home? I also volunteer. I help the youth minister at our church and do the church website.

Is it okay to think I'm close to retirement and no longer need to worry about working?

Oh I have two dogs and a cat!
Diana

Old 06-02-2002, 03:17 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dear Diana,
Don't feel guilty! You have a job right there in your home. Making a home a haven welcoming to friends and family takes work. I call it blessing my home and a way to worship my Lord by following His word to be a chaste keeper at home (Titus 2:5). We need not to worry about what others will think because we are at home doing what we do best and not out earning a paycheck. Money is not a true indicator of our worth! Think of how nice it is for your husband to come home to a wife, clean home, good food, instead of an empty home with no one to greet him. It is a home because of who is in it, otherwise, it is just a house.
Enjoy your labors as a homemaker, enjoy your crafts, enjoy this new time of life. You can still reach out to others by sending cards and making phone calls to the sick and shut-ins. You can be available to help out at church especially if you have summer children's programs. And, just because the kids are grown, don't think you've heard the last ~ they'll be calling for your sweet voice and your advice.
You have a purpose in being home even when the kids are grown. I think guilt comes from what we think others think of us. Don't let that kind of thinking take away your joy of being home!
God bless,
Linda
Old 06-02-2002, 06:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

cats and grand kids and stuff

HI poodylou
love your nick name
I dont work, job market here is null in a town of 3,00+ that doenst want to grow other than in drugs and all that.
I cant go get grand baby either shes in dallas. I spent a nice week with them sunday after mothers day. we had big time did lots of shopping and wedding stuff.
I been empty nester for about 3 yrs off and on, ds was last one to go and it took him getting into trouble to go. Hes going to be ok and he got me a real nice gift for mothers day. ususaly he doest or didnt care enough to. with a real nice card that fits our situation i know he took the time out to get it...
we have cats too i just got rid of 2 wild ones. so were down to 5 when they are around. we also have a poodle shes 10 yrs old and not too bright. dh put in new steps for me last night the other ones were too steep and was throwing my leg out of wackgoing up and down them any ways she was like too scared of the steps we had to coax her up them then theres piglet hes pure siamesse 9 yrs old and rules the house or so he thinks i swear that cat can tell time.
what time do you all use the chat room or dont yas use it. my other chat rooms went dry
well i need to go finish email and go get ready for church. were swapping preachers and boy am i ready for a new preacher. our church is so yuck and full of bull its not funny. I told dh im done moveing preachers in and out no more.....
feel free to email me any time im on yahoo chat as pigletcat2001 add me on your list if youd like to. i also have icq. thats gone dry too.
have a good day every one.
Old 06-02-2002, 10:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Quote:
Originally posted by Dianawrites
Hi,
I'm almost there. My two oldest are 20 and seldom home and my youngest is 15. I know I still have time left with him but he seems to be gone often or 'unavailable' to do things.

I'm 45 and I realized in the last week how soon this time in my life will be over.

I've been trying to justify why I get to stay at home still. I love being at home. I'm a writer so I have that outlet. When I don't do that I quilt, read, work out at the YMCA and I belong to a dance class. Just had the recital last night! LOL! I think it will be my last one! I didn't start dancing until I was 40 so don't think it's to late to start.
So any words of advice on how to conquer the guilt of being able to stay home? I also volunteer. I help the youth minister at our church and do the church website.

Is it okay to think I'm close to retirement and no longer need to worry about working?

Oh I have two dogs and a cat!
Diana
Old 06-02-2002, 11:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

chuckle

Diana, I definitely don't think you should feel guilty!!! I think it is important that you are happy with what you are doing and it sounds as if you are!! That is what is important!! It sounds as if your life is full!!! A writer!!! How exciting!!! I have always thought I would like to write but that is about as far as it has gone!!! LOL What kind of dancing do you do? Kathy