Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Elementary School

Old 09-30-2009, 08:23 AM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Not sure where to start

hi, this is new to me and i am not sure where to start or where to go. i was told to just post my concern and take it from there. i will post more info about myself later. but for now i am really struggling with my daugther see message below: "Is my child too slow? My daughter is 11 years old and in 5th grade. Since she was in Kindergarten the teachers would say, she gets distracted easily and she doesn’t finish her tasks. This went on through 4th grade. I took her to a psychologist and she tested for any learning disabilities and they found nothing wrong with her. Was told she needed to learn to stay motivated. She maintains very good grades but since beginning 5th grades some of her grades are dropping because she is not completing her task. The teacher says she knows the work but is very slow and sometimes looks like she is daydreaming, she takes her time with her tasks. What should I do?" please tell i am not the only one going through this
Old 10-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

You are not alone. My 2 daughters were like that. My eldest (24) still is like that! She has always needed extensions on her due dates. She now has an excellent job and is doing really well! My 12 yr old is getting better. She was always a daydreamer too. I had to question where she was seated, as up front was usually better.
She very well could be bored with her lessons. Is it possible that she is above what they are teaching in school?

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 10-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I agree that you should look into having her tested for gifted classes.

My son is almost 12 and in 6th grade this year. You described him almost to a "T". He does get his assignments in on time but will wait to the very last minute to do most of his work. I had a long talk with his teacher last year about this. He said that he was very good in doing his in class work but when it came to taking tests, he would get VERY nervous and tend to spaz out. He started moving his desk to face the wall when he would take a test --that way my son couldn't look around to see what everyone else was doing--this seemed to help a lot! He was forced to concentrate on his work instead of wondering if everyone else was finished before him.

I've talked to doctors who assure me that there's nothing wrong with him, either. It's just a task that we have to work with him on. It's really a problem with him focusing on reading. AAAGH!!! He likes to read what he wants to read. If it's something that he doesn't find interesting, it's like pulling teeth to get him to do it.

I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone!!

If you need a place to vent, you can come here! I understand how frustrating it can be.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 10-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

thank you for your responses. i really am at my wits in. just yesterday, she had a hard time at the tutors doing her multiplications, the tutor said she got most of them wrong because she would not line up her numbers and would at least get one number out of place. my daughter started crying and said "everybody says i am smart, but why can't i finish my work, why don't i remember my multiplications" i broke down with her. and tried to encourage her as much as i could, at this age it could be many things one being hormones, she is very senstitive. i really don't know what to do, i might just call her doctor and see what other type of testing they can do, or us as parents really buckle down and spend more time with her on the subjects she has a hard time.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

You are definitely not alone. I have the EXACT same problem with my son. He also has trouble with his multiplication. I have already talked with his teacher multiple times this year. One day he came home with at least 3 hours of homework that I found out later was classwork he did not finish in class. I have also cried over this many times especially when he calls himself stupid.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I don't have children, but I can tell you from personal experience that several things could be the cause of your 5th graders inability to stay on task. 1) She may be having cognitive issues and it doesn't always show up in tests / exams from the medical stand point. It is not so much a mental issue as a self control issue. Some children, and I was one of them, need to have written time tables for when certain jobs need to be done by - a calendar of sorts with when an assignment was given and when it is due. 2) Another poster pointed this one out, and I had equal issues with this as well, where your daughter sits in the class room makes a difference, as does the "tone" the teacher uses when s/he talks to the children in the class room. 3) another poster pointed this out, and one of my nephews has had this problem, Cognitively more intelligent than a particular subject being taught in the classroom, but not up to par on other subjects, which can cause a child to become bored and / or fall behind in class work. 4) If these test haven't been done already - have them done: Hearing and Eye sight testing. It's amazing what a little self test of your children can help in determining what might not be seen / heard on the medical tests. It's all about observation... I know parents do not have all the time in the world to always be there for their children, however, (and this stems from my Pre-K education, training, and own childhood) Set a side an hour a night (if possible) to assist your child in reading and explaining their homework with you (this includes all class work that wasn't finished). Watch how she holds her book(s) and /or teacher's assignment papers. Listen to how she reads the information to you. Is she reading to fast, to slow, taking extra time to read a word or pronunciation of a word, and lastly, remind her that you had difficulties with certain class work when you were her age.
Now comes the next suggestion, if you have the finances or your school district has a tutor allocated in your child's school have them attend the system (Sylvan's Learning is another type of tutoring with extra assistance for a fee).
When I was a child I had a cognitive issue - and I passed all the "medical" tests including the IQ tests...which just confirmed what my parents already knew. What they didn't catch in all the tests was that I had (still do to a degree) a speech impediment - a lisp (s, z, th), sometimes I still get self conscious about it because I concentrate real hard to pronounce words correctly and I get behind on what I am trying to say, read, understand. I'm 41.
The other issues I was dealing with was that I could read information upside down and right to left better than I could (can do both now) the standard rightside-up and left to right. I was near sighted (left eye) and far sighted (right eye) - so I would good the "daydreaming" look when ever there wasn't a seat in the middle of the room available. I also suffered from severe colds/allergies, so a lot of the time my hearing was minimal during parts of the years.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 10-05-2009, 06:39 AM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank you motherof2 & KSJEn6891. motherof 2 how are you handling the situation? My daugher is off this week for Fall break and her tutor gave me a spreadsheet with a few multiplication problems and she wants her just to keep working on them over and over. she said she eventually will have them memorized, i will see if that works. KSJEn6891, you had a wealth of information for me that i never thought of. i will definitely look into the things you suggested, especially a hearing test, she already wears glasses and she sits almost in front of the class and she also has a planner where she writes all her assignments for the week including any test they may have. its her classwork that she stays behind on because her math is taking up a lot of her time. I totally agree with you when it comes down to "really" paying attention to her while she reads or does her homework and pay attention to what is giving her a hard time. Again thank you for the great information.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thankfully we have a wonderful teacher who is really working with us on this matter and we are working together to try to solve this. Steven also wears glasses and has his hearing checked at every annual doctors visit. He is sitting in the front of the class but the teacher also trys to stand back unless she knows that he is "daydreaming". Our fall break is next week and I always try to sneak in some math but he is too smart for that and knows what I am doing. Anytime that I can get him to do math, I will. He also has a planner but sometimes even with that he forgets to bring home the right book and then gets missing homework slips. He can be very absent minded at times as well. As far as him calling himself stupid I just try to tell him that he is not stupid but just that he needs to try to concentrate more and to ignore the distractions if possible. He is such a loving child and very caring child that sometimes I think he is more concerned about what is going on around him that he forgets what he is suppose to be doing. It is very hard and I know that next year will be even more tough due to the exposure of more teachers and less one on one. We will do just the best we can.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:03 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I am in accord with KSJ. When my son was in Grade 2, they said he couldn't read, and had some speech difficulties. After many tests we discovered he had 4th degree hearing loss. Being the 4th of 5 kids, I just thought he wasn't listening to me. It was my mom who told me that boy doesn't hear you properly. After having tubes in his ears twice, 4 surgeries on his larnynx (4 times) and some speech lessons, he excelled. Just to let you know that same boy is now a Professor with his Doctorate in Canadian History, and teaching at the University level. Never give up, keep trying everything you can with your daughter, because it sounds to me like she is very smart and possibly bored, and could have a congnitive problem.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:05 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Oh, BTW, he also was a "day dreamer". I told him the world needs daydreamers, otherwise nothing would ever be invented, no books would be written, and tons of other things.