Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Elementary School

Old 10-05-2009, 07:20 AM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Amazing missibob, that is so nice to hear. you all have done wonders for me, i am beginning to feel a little more positive and motivated to keep working with my daughter. she too is like your son motherof2, a loving girl that is so worried about what everyone else is doing and not paying attention to her own work, she really has a good heart. missibob, i really like your statement on "day dreamers" that is so true and i need to let my daughter know that. thank you so very much. God Bless.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

First and foremost reassure your daughter that you love her very much and will work to help her through this tough time.

My son, who is 12, but now starting the 7th grade (thanks to summer school), was FINALLY tested at the end of the school year. I fought and fought for help, had conferences and his teachers labeled him as "LAZY". Think again. He was tested and has a learning disability in comprehension. This effects everything he has to learn. Now with his new program, I have seen better results and his confidence is coming back and he is proud of his work.

One of his teachers last year, doesn't talk to me at all. He feels so bad, about the whole situation, that he just goes the other way.

Mid term grades for DS were totally different than last year.

My advice to you is push to have your daughter tested. It is better to have her tested and rule things out than to have her fail and give up.

Last edited by Bernice; 10-05-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have been thru this w a high functionin austistic boy and am going thru it now w my 10 yr old daughter. My son is crazy smart but got bored fast. He figured out he needed to be quiet and alone for most of his studying and requested to be put in hallway during tests. Other people and white noise threw him out of whack and still do although he graduated in top 3rd of his class. In 5th grade I was at conference about him and was told "Sometimes there are students who fall thru the cracks no matter what we do and your son is one of them". My daughter (now in 5th grade) also has asked to be moved away from chatter boxes cause she recognizes she gets pulled in to not paying attention. At home I multi task and have music on constantly. She needs me to turn it all off and be quiet (read a book, etc..) when she is in common area of home working on schoolwork. She recognizes how much she gets "off task" (I hate that phrase) so she is working hard on it and trying different things I suggest or her teachers do.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

thank you for your responses. Bernice what type of testing did they do for your son? i took my daughter for her annual physical exam today, she is healthy, hearing is fine, vision she wears glasses, height & weight normal. i expressed my concerns to the doc, she recommended when i give my daughter task or when she is doing her homework, set a timer and give her a time limit, she said keep consistent for at least 6 weeks and see if she improves and finishes her task in a timely matter. she said i need to recommend this to her teacher as well. come to find out my daughter tells me that math is her first subject of the day and when she doesn't finish it puts her behind on everything else. doc said that might be why my daughter feels like she is not smart and her whole day is discouraged and feels like a failure. that i should talk to the teacher and see about modifying her math or see what other situation there may be.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

You need to have her tested for learning disabilties. Most teachers will fight you on this, because there is a lot of paperwork and evaluations involved. Request this with your child's teacher in writting and also make sure you send a copy to the principal of the school, with it noted on the orginal you send to the teacher. Give them a week and follow up. Follow up with more letters to the teacher and principal. If nothing is done, petition the school board to get it done. This last step is drastic, but you need to get the help you need as soon as possible for your child.