Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Elementary School

Old 09-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Music to you ears!!

I love music and this year DS is learning the trumpet. How do you encourage your child to practice their instrument?
Old 09-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

My dd played the clarinet and the viola. I never had to ask her to practice. She just did it on her own. That is her personality though! We still own the instruments!

DS plays guitar. Both accustic and electric. He is in a band. LOL He is self taught and I am proud of him.

I hope your ds does well with the trumpet. I have two brothers that played trumpet in school and did well.

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 09-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My DD also played the clarinet and later she picked up the piano and trumpet. In college, she is playing the Sax. She was no trouble practicing.

DS comes and goes with the practicing. His Best friend also plays it, so whenever they are together, I have a herd of "sick" moose at my house. I will be glad when this part of learning is over. Last night he did play "hot cross buns" at least a little bit. I am glad, he has the opportunity.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

My 11 year old GS loves music. He loves to dance and is pretty good at it. Last year he took the clarinet in school. Many more girls then boys play clarinet at his school but he loved it. This year he goes to Middle School and is going to continue playing the clarinet. He is also talking about wanting to learn to play the guitar. Nobody tells him to pratice, he just does it on his own. He is all boy and it does surprise me that he is so interested in all types of music. I'm all for kids having many different interests.

Q. Why do ghosts shiver and moan? A. It's drafty under that sheet.

Happy Halloween
Caroline
Old 09-19-2008, 03:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Bernice, it's a little easier if he signed up for music lessons by his choice (rather than if you made him do it) but some kids are still reluctant to practice.

He is old enough that you could sit down with him and plan a routine for study/practice/fun/chores after school. This way he has "some" say in what comes first, etc. If you and he write down what has to be done before dinner time, you can come to an agreement about the order. For example, snacktime, music practice, take a short break (20 minutes on the computer or a game), study, take a short break, chores, dinner.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:33 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I think he will enjoy playing his instrument,.Make sure that it is fun for him.My middle dd is playing the trumpet also and will play on it when she is bored.Alot will depend on how long the techer wants them to practice for ect.
Mish
Old 09-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

DS got to try many instruments to figure out which one wanted to play. He has an EXCELLANT Band director for middle school. She really loves kids and music and it shows. Out of six trails, he chose the Trumpet.

I am just worried, because I don't get in from work, until an hour later than when school lets out.

DD has her college tutition 85% paid, because of a band scholarship. I'd like the same for DS, he will play for hours, once you get him started, he just gets distracted with friends wanting to play outside.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:56 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Only one of my children so far have played an instrument. DD2 played the clarinet. She started in the fourth grade. She continued through to the seventh grade. Which is when she switched to the middle school instructor.

That is when she quit. There were several factors for her quitting. One she didn't care for the new instructor as much as the elementary instructor. Two was her new group of friends, none of them played an instrument. And three she is more into soccer, and she missed out playing soccer for the school because of band.

I was glad to see her play the instrument when she did, and I will not make her continue, as at least she is still doing an activity, and an active one at that.

Good luck!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!