Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Elementary School

Old 07-20-2008, 09:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Accelerated Gifted Programs

Does anyone have children involved in gifted programs in their school? If so, what did your child have to do (testing, interviews..etc) to become part of these programs?

Do you agree or disagree that children in Elementary school should be given a "gifted" title or should the schools wait until high school to do it?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Tammy, both of my dd's were in gifted programs in elementary school. They were given an IQ test and evaluated by a school district psychologist. The evaluation was just basically watching them in the classroom setting to see how they interacted with other children, teacher, etc.

I am very happy that my dd's were given this opportunity in the elementary school and didn't have to wait until high school. They both found school much too easy and were quite bored a lot of the time. The only thing that I didn't like was that the gifted program was a pullout program, meaning they were pulled out of the regular classroom for a certain number of hours a week. It was their responsibility to make up any work that they missed during that time.

Kathy
Old 07-22-2008, 07:02 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I think it is ok to have in the elmetary years.It is ok to have the title too.In the younger years before basic skill testing they have a list of things to look at.You have to have a certain score to be put in these classes.My middle dd scores very high on this but not high enough to be put in the program.I just wish they would have some classes for the ones who are above average too ya know
Mish
Old 07-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

All 3 of my children were in G.A.T.E. programs. My first, I had to ask about it for I knew nothing about it and they asked if she would be interested. I said yes and then she was involved. Had not much to do with anything but an interest I suppose (even though she did have very high marks). My 2nd was involved due to his marks and it was just for a few weeks. They liked to involve as many kids as possible. My 3rd was involved differently. She had an interest in and very high marks etc. in LA and was put in a writing class. They had one for every subject.
They were all pull out classes and sometimes my 3rd just stayed put because it was easier.
I am not sure what I think about this. I know my kids all got/get bored and find school easy, but is it really necessary to pull them from class and leave their peers behind? I think getting A's is a pretty good reward too! I am truly on the fence about this one.

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 07-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I'm not sure how I feel about it, either. My son earned straight A's last year and has always been advanced in his work. He wants me to talk to the teacher who teaches the gifted classes at orientation this year to see if he qualifies for the classes. I'm afraid that he wants to get into these classes for the title more than anything. I'm also not sure how I feel about him being pulled out of his regular classes.

I'll probably talk to the teacher to see what she has to say.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My ds has been given the opportunity for a gifted maths program. It runs at lunchtime and is in addition to the class work (where he is already working, self paced about 1 year ahead!) He sees the extra program as a penalty for being smart and I don't think he has begun going to it.
My dd (same school, higher year level) has been put into an extension maths class inplace of her regular class. This works really well. They still have to take the tests the others are taking and score 95% or higher to
be able to stay in extension.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Tammy! My dd started in the gifted program in kindergarten and by second grade was placed in the highly gifted program (Horizons). It has been a blessing for her. She has thrived in that environment. I know that in most programs, the students are pulled from the classroom. The Horizons program is virtually self contained throughout elementary school and less so in middle school. Dd is in high school now, and is taking a rigorous IB course load. Before entering the gifted program, she was bored to the point of getting into trouble and hated school. After entering, she cried if she didn't go to school. As far as testing, she took a standardized test for the gifted program. For the highly gifted program, there were a series of three standardized tests as well as performing at least one year ahead in math and/or reading. But testing was not the only criteria. There was a "probationary" period to assess how the students coped in that environment. One thing that many people do not realize is that highly gifted/gifted children often require different teaching strategies as the learn differently just as children on the other end of the spectrum require different teaching strategies.

Anyway, it is good to be back if only for a day. I hope to check back more often.

Take care all.

Dinsky

It is important to follow our dreams as a tribute to those who were forbidden to follow theirs. - Unknown