Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Elementary School

Old 01-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I am of mixed opinion about cell phones and kids. My dd had one, (she is in high school) with rules, with stipulations etc. After an incident we had the cell and checked it. She had not had the time to delete things like she normally would do before we checked it. I was shocked and appalled at what we saw. Not only were there texts and pics sent to people we had no idea who they were, we also found emails to and from teachers, and other people who were mysteries to us, that were most inapropriate! She was in a bad place and that is how we found out why.
My advice is to be very careful. You may trust your child but cannot always trust others. We took the phone away and she has had access to it only 4 times in the last 8 months. I really distrust all these things, internet, facebook, tumbler, cells, etc. but keep on them just to keep track.
Be careful.

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 04-10-2013, 01:41 AM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I can't help but think of all the cases of kidnapping I've read or heard of where the kidnapper doesn't check the child for a cell phone and the child ends up becoming found in mere hours because of the tracking. There are so many stories about that and honestly I believe if you child has any significant time alone wandering around, then he/she should have a phone. Growing up I wasn't allowed to go anywhere by myself solely because of my mothers fear of losing me.

If you place fair rules and boundaries over the phone then I don't see any harm in it. My 10yr old niece has an iPod touch with Wifi that she uses to email her mom throughout the day. She has been taught to take very good care of it, and on the plus side it's also taught her proper email etiquette, and has increased her reading and writing skills. I believe it has talking capabilities as well, although it's not an iPhone so I'm not 100% sure how they did that. She uses it for everything but has also been taught self control with the device.

I believe as long as the child demonstrates self control, discipline, and responsibility with the device, then there's no harm no foul.