Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Elementary School

Old 08-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thumbs down Girls in elementary school

I would be interested in how the girls in grades 3-5 act in your schools. The girls in my dd school act horribly and all authority around them seem to either encourage, or ignore their behaviour. What do you think about 8-10 year olds wearing revealing clothes, judging others wardrobes to the point of tears and segmentation, harassing boys by phone, email and MSN to the number of 10 or so times a day, and comparing boys physiques as sexy, babyish, drooling, I just gotta get some of that! Then comes the bullying. Tears and talk of depression were what I was hearing from the kids at the other end of all this.
I ended up (along with 7 others) pulling my child and enrolling her in another out of catchment school. After 3 years of this, I just could not put her through any more. The principal and teachers were just as bad if not worse when it came to bullying.
We are now praying for a good year. What is it like at your schools?
Old 09-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

i'm the type of person that just can't stand to see posts go unreplied to, so.. although my daughter is in first grade, I will tell you that I see it all the time too. Kids wanting to act like the "Mean Girls" and thinking that it's ok to want to be a "Bratz Doll". I am constantly having to remind my first grader that looks aren't important right now.

She was getting picked on by a girl that lives behind us (and is in her class) saying that my daughter has a boyfriend.. and my daughter would cry. She's only SIX! Finally I approached the little girl and told her that Kate is not allowed to talk about boyfriends at her age and if she wants to continue playing with her she needs to stop.

Another child last year (Kindergarten) went home from school crying with soiled pants because two other girls (Kindergartners) had teased her to the point of totally breaking her heart. I think it happens everywhere but it's a matter of what's being done about it.. I pray for a great school year at the new school!!! Good Luck!
Old 09-10-2007, 08:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry that it is happening there. I just really don't understand it. What are those kids parents teaching them? One child told me that it is better to hurt someone first than being the one hurt. It makes me so sad!

I have some good news!!! She has started at a new school, knowing no one and she is excited, happy and looks forward to going! She is even staying for lunch. One thing I noticed there is that the kids all dress like they want to and no one seems to care!! What a breath of fresh air when kids can actually feel free to find themselves. I know it has only been a few days, but hey, we will take what we can get!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We had problems like that when my kids were little. We have been hsing for ten years now. I did find a lot of the same problems in our Christian Home School group so we are done with that too. I don't know what parents are teaching the kids if anything. The girls my dd played with are now 16/17 years old and having booze and sex parties. I would rather my kids be alone than to have friends like that. We live in a very small rual area so hsing was the only option.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

similar issues here as well

So sorry that your dd had to endure this (and you as well!) and very glad to hear that things are going well at the new school!

We had these issues last year, my dd was put in a grade 2/3 split, her being a grade 2 (who tutored the grade 3's all day long--now thats another story..lol) But she started trying to be dumb, and not wanting to wear the clothes we buy her, she wanted to wear name brand...wanting her belly hanging out (my dd is a bit chubby, so it wasn't a good idea at any angle)

We had many many more issues than this at the school, and with all 3 of the kids, and ended up pulling them out of school in April. We are in a rural area, and the only choices that I have for schooling, are not for us, so we homeschool.

The girls behaviour was not the deciding factor to pull them, but it was certainly mixed in there...I can barely believe how the additude has gone away now that she's not immersed in that all the time!

Good luck to you and your dd!

mandi
Old 07-28-2009, 06:11 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am bumping up this topic again as the new school year is approaching.

Do parents still find that girls still act "mean" during the elementary school/middle school years? I know that is an age where they are trying on different identities trying to figure things out but I cannot imagine teachers or parents for that matter allowing children to be mean or bully each other.

My dd had a problem in elementary school when her group of friends who had always been in dance class like my dd decided to drop dance and join cheerleading. My dd chose to stay with dance so all of a sudden her group of friends disappeared. They pretty much ignored her which really hurt. And to make matters worse, the dance school she attended was in a wealthier town than the one we lived in and since dd attended a different school than most of the girls, it was very clique-y and she had a hard time making friends. One girl was so snobby she actually made fun of another girl for living in a mobile home. I thought that was just awful! The original owner of the school would never have put up with anything like that but the school got sold to a new owner during dd's 9th year of dance. Dd stuck with dance for 15 years and i was very proud of her. She said "I won't let them make me quit!" (We could have switched dance schools but when you do you lose your "seniority" for trophys etc. and dd chose to stick with the same school)

~Mother Theresa

Old 07-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Not only do I think that there are some really mean tween girls out there but there are some really mean tween boys out there, too!

My son had a run in with a boy for a while last year. He would call him names, pull his hair, and corner him in the bathroom and slap or kick him. My son is not a fighter and would do anything no to be labeled a tattler so it took the longest time for him to tell me what was going on. Once I found out what was going on, we told his teacher about it and he dealt with it. I was prepared to take it all the way to the school board if needed.

He is entering middle school this year so I can only imagine what's ahead of us.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!