Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Elementary Aged Kids Your little ones have grown up right before your eyes! They are no longer those little babies they once were, and soon they are moving to adolescence.

Old 08-16-2003, 06:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Old-fashioned?

My DD/7 was at a family party today and in her "treat bag" there was a toe ring.
DH and I just feel like she is too young for that kind of jewelry....she can wear the ring on her finger if she wants to. I know she is going to argue. BUT, we just think she's too little for that.
Are we totally old-fashioned? Are all the 7 year old girls out there wearing toe rings?
Old 08-25-2003, 07:58 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I'm a little progressive

I let my almost 7 yr old dd wear temporary tattooes, I even let her friends mom dye her hair once when she was 5. The poor child had yellow hair for over a month! My dd thinks she's a preteen in her own mind, which can be a problem, like wanting to wear a bra, wanting to wear high heels, and play-makeup. Some things I don't mind giving into, like the makeup only at home-(until she proved she wasn't old enough to take care of it properly-i.e.-having it all of her closest door). While others I just don't agree with.

For me, a toe ring wouldn't be a problem only if dd wore it at home. But, like I said, she thinks she's 11 or 12. My sister encourages her in a small way because dd wants her to give her manicures and pedicures...something my sister did when she was 2 yrs old and dd still remembers it. She wants her hair done a certain way and is really into fashion. I think most of her influence is from Mary Kate and Ashley and Lizzie McGuire. She loves them, looks up to them, but doesn't understand that they are older and she isn't their age. Now, my sister and sil would never let their dd's have play-makeup, temp. tattooes, anything like dd. So, too each their own. If you're not comfortable with it, its fine. Not everyone is the same and that's okay.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I have a 7 yo dd, and she thinks the idea of a ring on her toe is "silly and would feel weird." I know this because I just asked her! Of course, we don't let her do make-up, or hair dying, or even wear the "in" clothing. I think that it is inappropriate (sp?) for someone her age to wear clothing that is so risque. She doesn't need to show off her belly or her non-existant chest.

V.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:23 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Ah, let her wear it. At least she's not wanting to pierce something...i.e. nose, eyebrown, bellybutton.

Old 09-07-2003, 02:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I totally agree with blondiejune! It could be alot worse than a toe ring.

Old 09-07-2003, 02:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I think we help our children grow up too fast. My opinion is.....go with what your heart feels.
My sil wanted to crochet a bikini for my oldest when she was 3. I put my foot down, even if she would have given it to her, I would have not put it on her. As far as the toe ring, like I said, go with your heart.
Why can't we just let our children be children? I don't think we should dress our elementary age children like mini adults or treat them as such.
Thank you for letting me vent.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:42 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

My daughter is 5 and LOVES to dress up and wear makeup. We only allow it at home and I believe it helps her imagination grow. As far as the toe ring goes, it is only a ring and can be taken off when needbe. I personally would let my dd wear it around the house but not out in public. But it is what you are comfortable with that is important.

Benjamin Franklin
Old 09-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I laughed when I read the question. I'm 49 and I wear toe rings! I have aso done temporary tattoos (just to be shocking with my family while home for a reunion once. It was an ankle type tat.) I once sent a toe ring to a friend who's in her 60's. She had done her hair differently and her grown daughters joked that all she needed was a toe ring. I mailed one to her and they all got a huge kick out of it.
For a 7 YO? Around the house most certainly. Out in public? Only if it's not valuable.

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 09-07-2003, 02:45 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I just have to jump in on this one. Who cares what the fads are and who is wearing what. She is your 7 year old daughter and God has placed her in your care. You do what you believe is best for her. One thing i told my daughter at about that age. "I dont care what every one else is doing. You are mine and you are not doing it"

Set you guidelines early. As she grows and matures she will love and respect you for it. My daughter gave in to the world and "everyone else is doing it" and she is having many problems with her teen girls.

Sorry, I will get off the podium. Your daughter will someday thank you for your ability to say no when necessary.
God bless and send you strength.
Old 09-07-2003, 03:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

When my dd was 10 she wanted a toe ring (Kate and Ashley influence) so I bought her one for about $3.00 on sale. I didn't really like the look but figured I could decide where she was allowed to wear it. After about 3 days of wearing it she decided it was uncomfortable and quit wearing it. Problem solved and no big power struggles over a small thing. Body piercing, tattoos forget it, that's where I draw the line, not until she is 18 and outta my house. She also does not get to wear many of Kate and Ashley's clothes style because much of it is way to sexy and revealing for an 11 year old in my humble opinion. Make up is our big battle. I say when she is 14 maybe??????? she wants to wear it now. She just wants to grow up soooooo fast. I agree with the others who said Your the parent, go with your gut and what is right for you and DD.

mouse