Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Elementary Aged Kids Your little ones have grown up right before your eyes! They are no longer those little babies they once were, and soon they are moving to adolescence.

Old 08-17-2002, 07:49 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have moved from GA to OK(military, not my decision). My son did Kindergarten in both states. He was not at the top of his class in GA. He was in the middle to low. Ga was so hard but he did it and when we got to OK he was the first one to read a book in the class. That even surprised me. I knew that he could read words but not a book that he had never seen before. They taught teh basics. I thought that it was to much also but he did it and that is what counts. We were in a DOD school but they follow state standards. I will never forget this, at Christmas time in GA he was learning about cylinders, cubes, spheres, and pyramids. I wanted him to tell time, not know that a glass was a cylinder. Just be aware of the progress your daughter is making. One of my friends asked for help for her daughter in math in GA but reading was more important to the teacher and school, she never got it. Once they moved to TX she was behind in Math but great in Reading.

We are moving to AL in December so then I will see how that state is. I am worried that my sons were not pushed enough in OK. Guarenteed if you went from OK to GA your children would need extra help if they were not at the top of their class.
Old 08-17-2002, 09:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have 3 sons who just started 3rd, 5th, and 8th grades. I'm already counting the days till the end of the school year after one week!!! My 8th grader is a straight A student as are my other sons, and had 5 hours of homework the 2nd night of school. The rest of the week balanced out though. However, he has already had 3 quizzes and one major test this week, and spent 2 night until 110 getting it done. My 3rd and 5th graders have also had homework and quizzes since the 1st day of shcool. It seems like a lot now and since they are not into the homework mode yet, I noticed my 3rd grader took a lot longer to do his work because he kept telling me things that happened in shcool. They need to get into the routine of school/homework and hopefully they will do things a little faster. If it becomes too much, you might want to talk to the teacher. I also like to try to have my younger 2 finish the bulk of their homework before going outside or going to soccer practice. I am taking the "wait & see approach" to see how things get over the next month. Some weeks seem really overloaded and others not too bad. So give a little time unless your daughter is really starting to stress. Then you might want to talk to the teacher.

Good Luck

Annt
Old 08-17-2002, 11:54 AM
kellyandkids

No Child Left Behind

Almosty the entire country is now under this 'new' program which emphasises work-related and group skills over academics. The idea is that education is for the purpose of producing workers for our state economies; the jobs our states develope new workers for is decided my non-elected job boards. Note that public education is no longer for maximizing an individual child's potential.

In Minnesota, the education state, we parents have been fighting off the federally imposed 'new' standards. Among other brilliant 'new' ideas, the local school boards are responsible for implementing the state plan and managing the state and federal dollars - not for responding to the wishes of the community. They are accountable but not in charge.

In addition, the democratically controlled state legislature wants to change from truly local school boards to county wide school boards. Imagine trying to get on the agenda with a concern when you are competing with the parents of your entire county as opposed to just your school district.

This is not local control. This is a system of federally mandated standards imposed on the states and then the local school boards. The education standards themselves are defined by unelected appointed boards. There in no parental/local control of education in this system.

However, there is parental accountability. Parental report cards have been suggested and if you fail to support the 'new' state efforts, your custody of your children is in jeopardy.

Welcome to the 'new' approach to the 'new' global economy. I just want to know when they decided that capitalism was broken? Or is it just bad that some work hard and make a lot of money for their efforts?

As to the level of homework, I want to know how many of you are finding that you are really home schooling the state's program?? Or have to teach phonics at home because the school won't.

I suggest you read books like The Hurried Child. Your child needs, obviously, a childhood and more time to simply grow. Over-pushed academics and book work and writing lead to eye strain, nervousness, and burn out. I don't know which book specifically suggests such an over emphasis on book work actually leads to brain damage.

Keep on top of your child's program. You could be very surprised at the strange (experimental) things the schools try. My daughter's last achievement test actually asked her what was the former occupation of the present governor of Minnesota. What does that have to do with academics? Like that was something I would have specificially taught her - no way!
Old 08-17-2002, 05:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I still don't think it's too much

What Jenni described was a WEEK"S worth of homework, right?

Did I miss something?

Learn to recognize the numbers 1-5 in print

Practice rote copy spelling of vocabulary words, 5 per night, so she could recognize them on Friday

Copy, in her own hand, the authhor's Name, and Book Title of a book that she reads ( or was read to) onto a piece of paper, and write 2 sentences about the book (ie: "I liked this book. It was funny.")

And memorize a rhyming poem five lines long... ( which most kids love to do and find fairly easy to retain because of the cadence of the rhyme pattern)

All this work was expected over a 5 day time period. Not in a single night!

I get the feeling I'm the only one who feels this is not excessive, and that the child could probably accomplish this in less than 20 minutes per night.

Jenni if I'm off base, please let me know. How did Kati fare this week? And I don't mean her spelling grade, I mean her spirit. Was it very rough on her? I mean this sincerely. Remember. Ihad an early intervention child too.

I feel like an outsider being the only one saying that this ammount of work is OK..

My kids did much more than this. I'm just shocked that I'm the only mom on this board that feels this way. I guess I'd better get my whip and chair ready for back to school in New York. It would seem that I'm a Slave Driver!

:p
Old 08-18-2002, 07:19 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Please don't feel like an outsider because we have different opionions. That is what this board is all about. Different peole voicing different opinions/options. Maybe the way we feel about homework is where we were brought up. I was brought up not having homework until 7th grade. I honestly think that homework for the little guys shouldn't be implemented, but I do know that here are others who don't think it is a big deal. I respect your opinion and definately don't view you as a "Slave Driver". You have the best interest of your children in mind just as I do mine...and if everyone thought alike, what a monotonous life we would have.
Old 08-18-2002, 09:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

You're Right

Thanks for putting things back in perspective for me. I don't know why I felt defensive of my difference of opinion.

You are absolutely right.

We all agree to disagree. That is what's it's all about.

Your's in Homework Land

Val
Old 08-18-2002, 12:10 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

LIFESTAR--

You are not alone. My ds is in 2nd grade now and is doing great, he is very proud of himself and all that he accomplished in first grade. his reading, math and writing skills all improved so much.

Someone said that it is really 'parent work' and some days it really feels that way, here we have to correct and sign each page! but it is nice to be informed and involved in what he is learning.

He is off-track (year round) right now and Iam still giving him 3-4 pages a day to keep his skills up and so it wont be such a 'shock to his system' when he goes back to school and has 6 pages a day.

gina.
Old 08-23-2002, 06:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Homework horror

I have been reading this forum in dismay at the amount of homework given to children.

My daughter won't be going to school until she is 6 and I thought I had a reasonable idea of how much homework she would be getting. However, reading this thread it has suddenly dawned on me how relentless and constricting such homework is.

I didn't recieve homework until secondary school (11 years).
When I was 8, and had already been in school 4 years, I questioned a teacher about the lack of homework and she replied that home was a time to play and engage in non-scholastic activities. I was expected to read of my own volition, do puzzles, help my parents around the house, join the Brownies(scouts) and other community activities.

I was also lucky enough to pay frequent visits to the theatre and concerts, activities that would not have been possilble if I had been doing homework rather than taking an after-school nap.

Later in an area where not all the parents were able to provide such enrichment the school provided the activities: gymnastics, music and movement, singing, plays, cooking, even a pets corner.

In a desparate bid to distance our children from computer games and the TV we insist that our children be 'doing something'.
I think that children's activity has become too 'directed' .

I don't live in the country I was brought up in and at the moment a lot of mummy/kiddie time is spent learning my mother-tongue and the culture that goes with it.

I'm worried that once my children are at school we will have no time for this as all our 'together' time will be spent trying to complete their homework. They will be missing a vital part of their culture.

I was always considered someone with a rounded education prepared not just for work but for life.
I worry that my children will not be given the chance, or rather the time, to round-out their own education.
Old 08-23-2002, 06:58 PM
kellyandkids

Are you listening to yourselves?

: eshchory - you are right. Your child's relationship with you will change. She will become focused on artificially imposed goals to 'produce' a 'product' an a regular basis. This is without flexibility to be ill, have a special family event, or just stop and take a walk and see the leaves change color. I watched many times, my nieces and nephews spent the 'family' event sitting in a corner doing homework.

Her world will become focused on what happens in school rather than her family or the real world. Her classmates opinions will become more important to her much earlier than you would expect.

She and her siblings will live in the same house but lead different lives with different activities and different peer groups. My brother and I are like strangers; I can't believe we grew up in the same house. My husband puts it this way: if he met one of his siblings on a street they would never become friends. They don't have anything in common except a childhood address and genetics.

If you want to have a relationship with your child and foster one for her with her siblings, then make that a real goal. There will be times that you have to decide to say that school is not more important than our time together.

Childhood is brief. You remember the fun times and not hours of homework. Give that same opportunity to your child.

Are you going to work on having a biligual home? What a gift that would be.

I do remember my mother as a slave driver. When I went away to college I had to decompress for a few years. Is that what gives party schools their reputation?
Old 08-24-2002, 05:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

life star

I visited Katie's class this week. I believe in being completly involved in my childrens education. Was I surprised at what was going on there. There was two aspects to what I experianced. I found out how far behind Katie is to other students in her class. While there I watched and helped Katie do her seat work which the rest of the class had already finished. When I brought up my concerns to the teacher (When the kids left for lunch ) She told me that Katie is very far behind the rest of the class but feels that with team work in time she would pick up on everything. However she also said that if no improvement is seen she will have Katie repeat first. I don't mind Katie repeating a grade if is neccesary. I asked last year for Katie to repeat kindergarten and they told me no that she would be fine in EIP first grade that the teacher who teaches the class is a really great teacher.

Now to go with that note. I know every teacher has their own teaching skills. But if I child spoke in the class. She would walk up to them and snap her fingers three times in the childs face. Then while Katie was doing her seat work she needed her eraser but the teacher kept taking it. She tried to tell the teacher that when she came over to check her progress. And the teacher cut her off and said "katie if you don't work now I will tell mommie to leave" Katie's face crushed. I did not like the way she spoke to her. I said " all Katie was trying to tell you is that you have her eraser and that she needs it back." The teacher just stared at me and walked away.

Then Friday morning, Katie got up. I am sick. She didn't look it so I quized her on why she felt sick. She said she didn't like school and that the teacher is mean and the work is too hard. and that she can't read. I told her she was beautiful and smart and that I would help her to read. She had a full tantrum. I made her go and I spoke to the teacher at school. so that she would be aware. I want what is best for Katie. The truth is I am not sure what that is right now. I really wish they would have left her in kindergarten after all she is the youngest agian in her class. (She had just turned 5 one week before kindergarten.)

(I think Katie's homework seems like a l;ot because on her leval of learning it is probably to hard for her. And for someone who is ready for first grade it would be just about right.)

Last edited by augustamom; 08-24-2002 at 05:22 AM.