Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Elementary Aged Kids

Elementary Aged Kids Your little ones have grown up right before your eyes! They are no longer those little babies they once were, and soon they are moving to adolescence.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

shocking Girls in elemetary school?

I would be interested in how the girls in grades 3-5 act in your schools. The girls in my dd school act horribly and all authority around them seem to either encourage, or ignore their behaviour. What do you think about 8-10 year olds wearing revealing clothes, judging others wardrobes to the point of tears and segmentation, harassing boys by phone, email and MSN to the number of 10 or so times a day, and comparing boys physiques as sexy, babyish, drooling, I just gotta get some of that! Then comes the bullying. Tears and talk of depression were what I was hearing from the kids at the other end of all this.
I ended up (along with 7 others) pulling my child and enrolling her in another out of catchment school. After 3 years of this, I just could not put her through any more. The principal and teachers were just as bad if not worse when it came to bullying.
We are now praying for a good year. What is it like at your schools?
Old 08-31-2007, 04:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We see some of that here too, Cooked, though I would say that it's more grades 4, 5, 6 (ages 9 through around 12).

They have to learn it from somewhere, and nobody is stopping them.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I think it's a global phenomenon at least in westernised countries! It seems the more affluent an area the younger this sort of bulying starts. I am glad my dd was in a good group at school back then, and she seems to be going well with friends now in Year 9 as well.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Barbzy, what you said is so true! The parents are happy because it is not their child being bullied. It is truly a sad thing to watch and be involved with. Megrayau, it sounds like you were very lucky. I am just praying that when my dd starts her new school on Thursday, that it will be a whole new beginning.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:41 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Wow, I was shocked when I read this! I guess because we live in a little town in the country we are lucky! My dd is 9 and in 4th gr. and the most I've heard is girls getting mad because one wants to play with someone else that day. Plus my dd has a friend that if you are her friend you can't be friends with so and so. I had a talk with my dd and she explained to her friend that she would be friends with them all and got her to hang out with other girls to see what she was missing, it worked. There is more of that kind of stuff in high school here, but not to that extent. That's down right horrible. I would never let my kids stay in a school like that either. I have always taught my kids not to make fun of anyone and they know the consequences if they do. Now a days kids need to watch because if kids get teased they do horrible things. I think alot of the problems are that there's no discipline. The teacher's have lost alot of right's as we as parent's and there's no respect and the kids know they can get away with it. Too many teacher's are trying to be the kid's friend's now a days. Also, they are afraid of law suits. At least this is stuff I hear from a teacher we know. We are lucky here because we have good teacher's and principal's. My dd's teacher this year told them on the 1st day no grouping. If they see someone at recess not doing anything she expects them to go ask that person to play a game,etc. Also, if someone is teased whoever did it does get expelled for a few days and our principal supports the parent's if they threaten a law suit. If the school takes no action then you have to take your own action. Now we did have 1 kid in the high school have problems and the parent's weren't satisfied with the actions so they sued the school and won! Today you have to protect your kid if no one else is looking out for them.

Tara
Old 09-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I noticed when my 3 dds were growing up often 2 girls played well but 3 caused problems. We lived on a block with 60 kids and the mothers worked to eliminate the problem. My dgd is in 5th grade and so far there seems to be no problem. The teachers watch as close as the can & try to stop it but we as parents are often the worst emeny. The "Not my daughter" and refuse to allow them to serve the punishment.According to law the parent has the rights and the schools hands are tied. I wish you good luck in your new school

Old 09-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Happy face

After reading this thread I feel very lucky. I have one grandson in 4th and one in the 5th grade. In our schools this behavior would never be tolerated. The children all seem to get along well and no problems. When my dd went to school she did not face any of these problems. My ds was a little over weight when he was in Middle School. He had remarks made to him but always seemed to handle it well and had tons of friends. I think half the battle is how the children react to certain situations. Some children like drama and often ham it up a bit. These are the kids I tell my grandsons to just walk away from. So far so good and we have not had any problems. I have 5 grandsons who all are doing well in school on a social level and educational level. I hope my 4 year old granddaughter never encounters any of these problems! If she ever did we would make a change of schools.......Good Luck to all this school year!!!
Old 09-07-2007, 08:33 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

This Is My 2 Cents Worth It Starts At Home How We As Parents Bring Our Childs Up..i Live In Tennessee In My Gd Started Kindergarden In I Just Asked This Question About 1 Hour Ago On Another Board The Kids Here Is Now Starting It In Kindergarden If You Are Not Dressed Well Are What Ever Your Not So And So Friends All We Can Do Is Pray That God Takes Care Of Them In Let Them Rember How We Raised Them. This One Little Girl Has Cried Every Day At School In My Gd Tries To Comfort Her. Her Teacher Said Shes The Only One That Goes Up And Comforts This Litlle Girl She Says Dont Cry Mommy Will Be Back To Get You After While And Tries To Get Her Mind Off Of Things . Some Makes Fun .
Old 09-08-2007, 04:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Afpresley, kudos to your granddaughter for having a loving heart and being a nice friend to the little girl in her class.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

For me my oldest did have a bullying problem but her and the girl worked it out.Now that the girls bf isn't there anymore they can get along to a point.Alot of it is becuase they also have the same friends as each other too,.My middle dd who is in 5th grade seems to make all kinds of friends.But she aslo knows not to make fun of the girls at her school too.So far no problemns there.

Mish