Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Elementary Aged Kids

Elementary Aged Kids Your little ones have grown up right before your eyes! They are no longer those little babies they once were, and soon they are moving to adolescence.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Daughter wants to be so grown-up!

We're hitting that tough age with my daughter. She just turned 11. She wants to be grown up, and dress like a teenager....she is tall for her age so that doesn't help.

And tonight she was all upset because I told her I think she is too young to start shaving her legs. I know she doesn't understand, but this is not a "fun" thing--and once you start, you have to keep it up....but she is embarrassed by her legs.

Finally I said I would think about it, but that we were not going to do it right this minute. She was happy but I know she won't wait forever.

I wonder if someone has made fun of her or something?

Sigh....it was a lot easier when she was little!
Old 01-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Unfortunately, there is no right or wrong answer. This is just my opinion. Ultimately, I think it would do any damage if you allowed her to shave her legs. I would talk to her and find out why she wants to shave her legs. It may very well be that she has been laughed at or that some other girl is shaving her legs. I remember when I was her age, I was SO hairy and it was so very embarrassing. On top of that, I was such an early bloomer so I was laughed at quite often. My mother didn't do a whole lot of things that I could not as positive, but she did allow me to shave early. It helped my self-esteem. I didn't feel like covering my legs in shame and I suffered so ill effects from starting to shave early. It would also depend on whether or not you think she is mature enough to handle a razer too.

With that being said, it wouldn't kill her if you said no either. I think you should talk to her and then weigh the pros and cons. She may have to keep up with it after she starts, but if the hair bothers her, she won't mind.

Good luck what ever you decide.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 01-25-2007, 06:01 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Barb I know what you mean.Our problem with dd was she look more mature than her age,plus we had to buy junior size clothes when she was 10 so it was hard to find decent clothes for her age.People still try to make her older than what she is as she can pass for a 17 or even 18 year old plus she acts more mature than kids her age. So many of her friends she hangs out with or in the upper grades and some can't beleive she is just a freshman. So for some of them can't understand that she's not allow to do alot of things that they do at this stage.So it is harder when they want to act beyond thier years.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:08 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Barb,
That is a hard one,first off kudos to her for not taking it upon herself (unless you have your razor locked up. lol) I would ask her point blank if anyone said something to her and if thats why she wants to start. It could just be the old "all the other girls are doing it"

I dont see anything wrong with letting her start if its that important to her but not if its because thats what all the other girls are doing. I remember this argument very well with my grandmother! I DID take it upon myself using my dads razor (yes I bled) but I didnt have a mom to talk to about it and I just thought my grandma was "old fashioned" plus imo I had hairy legs!

As for the dressing I would set the rules of what is NOT allowed and then let her choose from there. I suppose there will be arguments however one day she will appreciate your input! Good luck!
Old 02-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi!
I thought that it was gentler to start my daughter off with a hair removal cream when she started complaining about having "hairy legs". (one of the Avon skin-so-soft products)
Even then, i tried to put it off as long as possible, trying to tell her that she needed the insulation for the cold Canadian winters.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:44 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Barb i went thru the same thing dd is 10 and her friends were shaving there legs and she did have really hairy legs so i caved in and let her do it she did great and you know she did real good for a while now since its winter she said mom i dont need to shave i wear pants all the time now ill start again in the spring lol

Old 02-04-2007, 04:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My DD1 will be 11 yr in May and she has already brought up shaving. Her legs are kind of hairy but very light colored so I've told her she is to young. Come summer I may let her use a hair removing lotion if she brings it up again.

I have a scar from the first year I was shaving the razor was dull and took a strip three inches long off the side of my leg by my ankle. I didn't think I would get out of the bathtub before passing out it hurt so much.

Roberta
Old 02-04-2007, 04:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Well, I did allow her to do it--after I found that she had taken a "free sample" razor I'd gotten in the mail, into her room. (Remind me to hide all those!!)

But the last thing I want to do is give an inexperienced shaver a QUAD BLADE My sister told me horror stories about what her DD looked like after her first try.

I had a freebie "intuition" one with the lotion around the blade. I told her that if she wanted to shave she had to use that one. I showed her that she had to use it in the bath or shower, and get it wet first, and where to keep it so it wouldn't be touched by Luke.

Fortunately, no muss, no fuss after that, and she is happy. (I did have to tell her that she doesn't have to do it DAILY )
Old 02-04-2007, 05:12 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

my dd used the nair lotion to and loved it way better than the razor so id say that will be the way for her and it makes your legs way softer to
Barb congrats to your dd for her succesful first shave

Old 02-04-2007, 07:59 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Barb,
Glad the first time went well for her! It probaly really is harder for you than her