Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Elementary Aged Kids

Elementary Aged Kids Your little ones have grown up right before your eyes! They are no longer those little babies they once were, and soon they are moving to adolescence.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:43 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Too much homework for a 1st grader?

Is there anyone else out there with a first grader? Getting a lot of homework?

I can not believe the amount of homework DD brings home!! I don't even think I had homework until at least the thrid grade!

Every night, including a Friday, she brings home, a math sheet, a letter practicing writing paper. And at least one book, on her level, to read, if not two, with a worksheet to go along with these books. Plus a library book.

The other night, she had to read a book, and than, write the setting, the characters, the problem, and the solution!!

One day, I can't even explain the homework she had correctly. It was like a table of contents with:
the chapter #....title of the chapter....page #

the page than asked questions, about a specific thing, and we had to figure out which chapter # we would find this information.

One chapter was about building webs, one was about spinning silk, one about spiders, one types of spiders.

And these questions were hard, even DD1,(just graduated hs last spring) DD2,(currenlty in 6th grade) and myself had a hard time with it!!

Than they sent a book home that she was supposed to read, and this book was so hard to read/follow for me!! And 6th grade dd said she had a hard time reading it!!

Now, I don't think of myself, as a brainiac, but, come on, I am not a dummy!! I just think some of this stuff is too much!

Her teacher did send home a questionnaire about different things in school, that requested if we have any concerns. I did mention about the homework. So, hopefully, I find something out next week at conferences.

If I really felt these were "problem" areas for her, I wouldn't mind so much, but, I don't think she is having problems with these areas.

It really makes me want to pull her out of public school, and home school her. At least than I would know she is spending enough time on the stuff she doesn't know, and less time on the stuff she knows!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 11-02-2006, 03:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I am with you .....I don't understand why they are pushing kids with so much homework in the Elementary schools.

There are times when my son doesn't have any time to relax and play because he has to worry about his homework and the tests they will be taking. (He's in 3rd grade).

That is a lot of homework for your DD. I would say something too.

I'm sure that she has to read for a set amount of time, too, right? My son is supposed to read for at least 20 minutes a night. It usually ends up being at least 45 minutes due to him reading at a higher level. Not that the books are hard, but that they contain more pages than the other kids' books and he has a pts. goal to reach. He is not the only one in his class that reads like this but I seem to be the only one who ever says anything. These parents around here seem to do as they are told, no matter what. If the school says "sit and stay", they do just that without questioning anything. I will never become that type of parent.

It's no wonder why kids are "burnt out" by the time they reach high school.

I hope that you get some answers at your meeting.

Hugs,
Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 11-02-2006, 04:31 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I totally agree. I worry over it as well. What can we do?

Shannon U

SAHM to a 7 yr old DIVA
Married to a good 'ole country boy
Old 11-02-2006, 05:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I'm not sure where I read or heard it, but I remember the statistic that kids should have 10 minutes x their grade of homework each night. (so, 1st grade would be 10 minutes; 2nd grade would be 20 minutes and so on).

Dd has had alot of homework too (she's in 4th grade). Part of our problem was that she's in a new school and it took us a little bit to acclimate. I spent alot of time talking to dd's teacher during the 1st quarter of the year about expectations. She was very open to suggestions and I told her that there are some nights when it goes on for too long that I just close up homework time and I'll send a note in to let her know why it wasn't completed. The other part of our problem can be that dd just wants to do other things (ie: talk to the dog, pet the cat, answer the phone, or anything) rather than buckle down and get the homework done.

The teacher sends home a weekly calendar with all of their homework for the week. Some of it's "complete page started in class" and for math, every night they work on the next chapter of problems. There are some nights where she hasonly 20 minutes or so of homework, but then other nights (when she has alot of studing) she will have several hours of homework. I also had to readjust my errands, etc so that we were coming home straight after school so she could get her work done and still have time to play with friends (amazing how the promise of play time helps her motor along through her homework!).

We also study, some reading and practice her recorder in the car in the morning on the way to school.

Karen - Have you had parent/teacher conferences yet? Is your dd's teacher younger (as in no children of their own). Talk to your teacher, maybe she doesn't realize how much time the homework is taking.

Good luck!
Old 11-02-2006, 05:51 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have the opposite problem. All my son has to do is 5 sentences a night with his vocab words and I think he should be writing them three times each, so he learns them. I give him homework his teacher does not give him. He has to read his AR book at night, and then 15 minutes of any he wants that he writes down. I don't think of the reading as homework, for one, he enjoys it so much. We also start the reading 30 minutes before he goes to bed. It separates it from the homework, so he does not have a bad attitude about it. I make flash cards of the words he has during the week even though he only has to pick out 5 words to study a night.

If you are having a problem with the homework, I would suggest calling the teacher and telling her how much time you spend a night with your child. I did that once when my daughter had so much homework, the teacher ended up telling me, she was the only one with that homework because she was goofing in class. If that is not the case and the teacher does not respond, talk to other parents in the class and find out how long it is taking their children and see if they are having trouble with the assignments. If they are having trouble, it may be worth looking into. If they are not, maybe a conference with the teacher for her to explain the homework to you. I hope this helps.

Rachel
Old 11-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I remember when my DD1 was in first grade the homework other than spelling was finish what you didn't do during class. Which for my daughter was a lot because she would play around in class.

In 5th grade they have 20 min of reading from their AR books 4 times a week & twice a week they have to write a 1/2 page report on what they read, a Math paper 3-4 times a week, English/Spelling packet that they do a page a day, Social Studies is usually a project that they work on all week. The teacher does give them time during the day to get a lot of it done.

Roberta
Old 11-03-2006, 02:40 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Yes, Tami, they are required to read for 10 mins a night. Luckily, the teacher was nice enough to incorporate that with the daily reading assignment.

And, no this particular teacher actually has a children of her own. One of them being either in first or second grade.

Roberta and Rachel, I wouldn't mind her having to do the work at home, if it were the case that she didn't do the work in class. But, this is specifically marked "Homework". Or if it seemed as though this were stuff DD was having a hard time with, and needed the extra time working on the stuff.

Oh, and they are giving them actual math tests in class. The test is graded than sent home, and has to be signed and returned!

Crowemommy, last year when DD was in kindergarten, she also got homework. But, the teacher would send home a packet of about six pages. This packet would be sent home on a Monday, and had to be returned the following Monday. I really liked that, that way if we had a night where homework was just too much, we would double up the next night.

Maybe I will suggest a packet at conference time.

My conference is next Thursday.

I am glad to hear I am not the only one struggling with this issue. It just makes me also wonder, if she is getting this much homework already, what will it be like in the next few grades!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 11-16-2006, 10:14 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am a substitute teacher for public schools here in Colorado....I will say you have to be involved in your child's education (not saying you are by any means otherwise you wouldn't be posting this! ) anyway...Make sure if you are concerned that you go and see your teacher in person...alot of 1st grade teachers don't have kids...so they don't know what is too much..they don't have to do the homework with the kids, just send it home. I will say most teachers (not all) are reasonable..you have to like kids to be a 1st grade teacher because it is HANDS on...you can't slack. I would ask if your child is supposed to do any of this work in class and they just don't get it done for whatever reason (my 3rd grader has a TON of work each night but I never knew that about 50% of it is supposed to be done in class and he is goofing off) Be hands on and dont' just call or write a letter to your teacher..I just SHOW UP...lol..middle of the day when I know those kids are in lunch and your teacher is in the classroom BOOM, show up. she will know you are serious! Ask for the schedule, know what she is doing in class, most teachers will change it up if you don't like it...at least where I live they do..I asked if my son could have different homework because it was stressing him out and that he was bored with it (he is Gifted and talented) and she did it no problem..don't be afraid to ask... good luck!
Old 11-17-2006, 02:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

too much homework

Ben is in kindergarten and gets 45 mins of homework a night..and the time will go up 15 with every grade...plus nightly readings

I think that these kids are getting too much I mean by the time they do it they are tired you are frustrated and it feels sometimes like its counter productive...

But then again I can't complain because with this curriculum Ben was reading 2 months into the school year

Just seems like kids aren't kids anymore they are more like mini-adults
Old 11-17-2006, 03:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Yep, I agree with it sounding like too much for this age.
I think reading each night is good, checking spelling words, and maybe one other thing for the week. Kids need time to run, play ride their bikes, bake, veg out and be kids. I guess you are the same as here where so many parents spend their kids childhood getting them ready for the next phase of life. Chill out and let kids be kids!