Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Elementary Aged Kids

Elementary Aged Kids Your little ones have grown up right before your eyes! They are no longer those little babies they once were, and soon they are moving to adolescence.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:50 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My oldest daughter is sick.

Im sorry to just jump in here seeing as how I dont post very often. My daughter is 10, is she still considered an elementary age child?

How do you guys deal with it when your children are sick with a virus. I have a big fear of vomiting (myself mainly) My oldest daughter has been complaining with her stomach hurting for the past day and a half. She said she wasnt feeling nauseous. So, I thought, maybe shes got H-Pylori or a nervous stomach or something til I get to school this afternoon to pick them up and start hearing about the virus going around. My sons K-5 teacher has it and was out today. (She is also my oldest daughters basketball coach) and three other children in my sons class have had it. I am just beside myself, and I am here all alone to deal with it, because my husband works nights.

How do you guys deal? Do you guys manage to take care of your children when they are sick like this and remain well?
Old 01-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

If your children are exposed to a virus, give them colloidal silver BEFORE they get ill. I know it sounds crazy, but it works and it not harmful as anti-biotics are. My DD, who is now 23, used it in high school and she went from being ill all the time to never being ill at all. You can buy it at any health food store. You can also buy it at various places on the Internet. Beware as many places swear that it cures headaches and all sorts of other stuff. However, the only thing that it works for is viruses as they die on contact with the silver. However, it can stay in the body for up to 5 days, so you may not want to give it to her except when she is exposed to viruses or during the times of year when viruses are going around.

You mentioned a nervous stomach. That too can be a comman problem at this age too. If everyone at school is down with the stomach flu and your DD is nervous about going to school, she could be getting ideas. When my children were young and were showing symptoms of possible stress related problems, I had them draw me pictures of their school. I would start with the classroom, then the lunch room, and then the playground, and so on. This was a great exercise as it opened the door to communication, especially when my children were embarrassed to talk about a situation. When it came time to draw a picture of whatever area of the school that was causing problems for my child, I would ask them why it bothered them and we would work it out.

Unfortunately, we cannot always stop out kids from getting ill. I totally understand about the vomiting thing. That was the one thing I had trouble dealing with. Be sure to keep a lined trash can around. Also, keep some saltine crackers and ginger ale. Another thing you could keep on hand is Pedialyte. It now comes in various flavors that they didn't have when my kids were small. You could also keep chicken soup and broth for when your kids get better. One of my kids would get ill and then after the incubation period has passed, the other kid would get ill. Of course, nothing replaces TLC! They will remember that forever!

Good luck. I hope that I helped some.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 01-24-2006, 04:33 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

You did help alot, thank you!!

Did you manage to stay well even when your kids were sick?
Old 01-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Unfortunately, before my youngest was in hs and I started taking the silver, I always got ill when my kids got sick! My worst memory was when both my kids and I got the Asian flu! DH never got sick! Here all 3 of us were, vomiting and running high fevers! It would have been so much easier if I had died, but instead we all sufferd for several days! I ended up bringing in trash cans, fluids, and the like and kept them by the bed so I wouldn't have to get up very often. We all stayed ill in the same bed until we were well!

I wish you well. I am so glad mine are grown. My DGD came down between semesters and she got a cold. I felt so sorry for her, but I never got it.

Old 02-01-2006, 05:48 PM
FamilyCorner Addict

I just deal with it. It has never bothered me to have to take care of a sick child. I pamper my kids when they are sick. My dd#1 even told her boyfriend to come stay with me when he was sick. She said Mommy will take good care of you. He wouldn't come of course.

Coll
Old 02-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Coll, I agree with you on the dealing with it. We mothers just have to handle illnesses when they come. Except for the time that I go so ill that I could barely keep my head up, I would do the pamper thing. The weirdest thing was that I always knew when my DD was coming down with something because she craved cookies. Go figure!

Old 02-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I hate vomiting more than almost anything!!!

Remind everyone to wash their hands a lot and then wash them again!

Children get better faster when you rub their backs, hold them, put cold cloths on their foreheads, anything that involves touching and loving on them. Just make sure your hands are washed before and after you care for them. The sooner they are well the better off everyone will be.

Care of mothers, fathers, and everyone else:
Drink lots of water and eat plenty of fruits and veggies to stay healthy. Try to stay away from caffine and sugar because they will weaken your immune system.

Naps are important because we need to be rested when sick children need us in the middle of the night. Why does the flu bug seem to be worse at night?

I used large bowls to catch the vomit. Wash often with soap, and make sure to wash your hands real good!

I had 3 children and usually didn't catch their flu. I'll help you pray that you can stay well as you take care of your dear daughter, and pray that she will be well quickly.

Love & Prayers,
Linda
May God give you for every storm, a rainbow, for every tear, a smile, for every care, a promise, and blessing in each trial, for every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh, a sweet song, and an answer for each prayer.
~An Irish Blessing
Old 02-03-2006, 05:13 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

i rarely catch my dd's flu when she gets it, i wash my hands often, and most important, i give her lots of tlc, i also keep a bowl nearby for her, and wash well after each "incident", this seems to really help, hope it helps you