Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Elementary Aged Kids

Elementary Aged Kids Your little ones have grown up right before your eyes! They are no longer those little babies they once were, and soon they are moving to adolescence.

Old 09-16-2005, 07:42 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'm 41 and still prefer to go barefoot. I don't like the seams of socks or underwear against my skin so I turn them inside out.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:07 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

When my son was younger, he also hated the feel of lumpy twisted socks! I laugh because he now does some weird thing where he folds the sock back down under his foot so that it is lower than the shoe (apparently this is cool!).

Anyway, I bought all of his socks at the GAP. Hopefully your child doesn't have big feet because it is only their toddler socks that worked. He was just comfy in them, they never slid down when he was wearing them with shoes, and they are also quite thin.

He wore them until he was about 7 years old!! But he did grow out of it!

Good luck!
Old 09-17-2005, 07:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Don't have a solution but wanted to comment. My mothers side of the family don't like wearing socks and neither do I . If my feet are too warm so is the rest of me I never wore socks but now have to as it is the rule at Wal-mart. The seam bothers me and my shoes can feel right and then after with the socks they feel tight. I am getting use to them but I gotta say I have never had a foot oder problem or sweaty feet till I had to wear socks. I never wore socks even in the winter except for a few really cold days. A couple of my kids don't like socks either but the others are fine with them. My grandson wants his socks on and insists on going around with just socks on ,even sneaks outside to play with socks and no shoes.LOL Thankfully his mom buys white socks with a gray sole so the dirt either comes out or don't show!LOL Most of my family are tiny but just have alot of body heat. So maybe she will get use to them or maybe her shoes need to be a bit wider or longer to accomadate the socks. Or maybe she does get too hot. Whatever the reason I wish you luck and Barbzsy is probably right. She will probalby outgrow it.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:44 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Are there seamless socks where you are?

I am also a fan of no socks in the summer and fall, when it's warm enough. I'm in SD, and so quite a bit of the year socks are needed!! But certain socks do irritate my feet. The ones that are the most comfortable are "booty" socks? They go to just below my ankle and have no seams. Perhaps she can try those? Good luck!!!

Old 09-18-2005, 11:35 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi! My daughter has some weird sensory issues and hates her socks as well. It would turn into a screaming match every morning to get her out the door. I feel for you, it isn't easy sometimes. So I purchased seamless socks from Stride Rite(these are available online). These are also called "flat seam" socks. I also purchased seamless tights. Let me tell you, it has completely solved the problem. These aren't cheap, $9 for three pairs of socks, the tights were $10, but it was completely worth it for us, the mornings have gotten so much better. I highly recommend this! Best wishes, Hallie (Mom of two)

One new heart = my whole new life.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My oldest and youngest child have done this. I think it some sort of sensory issue, and yes it is maddening!
Old 04-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

If the socks have a pattern and they are more comfortable to wear inside out, fold the top down/over so that the pattern still shows, if they are long enough to do so.

DS likes socks but only the shortest ankle socks even with long pants so that if he bends his leg a lot or sits down you can see skin between shoe and jeans LOL

Old 04-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I agree with the others about trying to turn the socks inside out so that the seems are away from toes.

I too am one of those. I remember way back when the nurse would put my socks and shoes back on and as soon as they'd leave the room, I'd re-do them so the seems and wrinkles wouldn't bother me. To this day, my socks have to be "just right" in order for me to wear them. I found some crew socks that are made by a NASCAR merchandiser and I had a billion pair and they don't make them any more. I don't know what I am going to do as most of them are wearing thin and they are the only socks that I have found that I can wear without feeling like they are bothering me.

You didn't state how old your DD is. Trouser socks also fit fairly tight and they have thin seems. But, if your DD is a bit young, her feet will be too small and she may not like they way they look.

Another thing that I have seen, but never tried, is police socks. They have pressure areas so that the socks hug the foot perfectly in every area. The foot is such an odd shaped part of the body and it is difficult to get socks that fit around each area. It seems that every square inch of the sock can be felt by my foot. They are the FIRST thing to come off when I get home from work and school, even the comfy ones.

I know the ideas I shared may not be pretty ones, but they might be something SHE can live with. You can save the pretty socks for those special times when she'll just have to wear them for one night or for one occasion. Good luck!

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 04-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Adam and Steven both prefer the "no show" sox and that is what I wear as slippers in the spring/summer
Old 11-24-2010, 12:39 PM
One Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Me and Darren (boyfriend) have not had that issue with Andrew yet, except for when he magically runs around in his onesie and left us wondering where he threw his sweatpants.

Personally I am a anti-sock fan. I hate wearing them I have always prefered barefootedness. DD is probably really sensitive in the feet. I am the same way. As is my brother. Sensory issues runs in the family, my brother and I got the bulk of it though.

I don't care how poor a man is; if he has family, he's rich.
~Dan Wilcox and Thad Mumford, "Identity Crisis," M*A*S*H