Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Elementary Aged Kids

Elementary Aged Kids Your little ones have grown up right before your eyes! They are no longer those little babies they once were, and soon they are moving to adolescence.

Old 04-24-2005, 06:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Chores for a 7 year old?

I know that we have quite a few moms here at FC who have kids that around my son's age. (7 yrs. old--). Do you make them do chores?

Things seem to work out better for us around our house if he has a schedule in front of him of what is going to happen for the day. I think that he would be much more willing to help out if he had "his" jobs to do.

What about extra chores to earn money?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 04-26-2005, 01:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Any ideas?

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 05-13-2005, 07:34 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My kids are only 3 and 5 and they have chores. I think you need to make chores that are age appropriate, and then it works well for everyone. Both my kids help set the table, clean up their toys, take out the recycling, clear the table after meals, tidy up the house (vacuum and sweep), etc. These are all chores that can easily be done at their age and somedays they even ask for more. They don't have to do all those things every day, but when they are asked, they both step up to the task. They have both started to do things without being asked as well, because they like the added recognition.

Try to make it more of a fun family time than a drag to do chores.

Old 05-13-2005, 08:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

It is my 7 year old gd not d but she has a chartand the jobs are pretty basic. Clean her bathroom sink,sweep kitchen floor, help with the dog, have her homework folder signed & pack lunch( we make sandwiches & freeze them). She just takes one out and packes with juice & pudding & a snack. She also pickes up after herself( most of the time) . Not everything everday but when asked. She loves a chart and on Saturday she recieves $3. 00. 1 for church, 1 for savings and 1 for her. She was very excited when she need a $1.00 for a field trip and she I can pay that. She bragged to her friends . cau

Old 05-13-2005, 08:34 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

My 3 year old puts toys away, puts her shoes in the shoe box, feeds the cat, and gets things out of the pantry if she can.

My 7 year old does her homework, puts her toys away, shoes in her shoe box, make her bed and sets the table. She attemps to run the vacuum but it usually needs redone when she isn't here.

Coll
Old 05-13-2005, 09:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Cody does have a chore chart. He saves alot of his allowence for something he wants to buy. I find if i put the chart on the fridge with stickers he's more excited to check the chores off as he does them. He waters and feeds cats, waters dog, brings the garbage cans in on trash day, picks up dirty clothes, Picks up 5 toys in his room if its a real mess more,reads to us every night.In the summer he helps older brother pick up yard before he mows. Ohm he also puts all toys in livingroom away at night. What have you decided to do?/ hugs kim
Old 05-13-2005, 10:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks everyone!

Looks like Im going to make a chore chart. Andy seems to work better if things are written down for him to see so this should work.

What kind of charts are being used? A laminated one or do you make new charts weekly, monthly or??

Im thinking of making a day chart too for the summer so that we can have some organization during summer vacation instead of just doing nothing all day long. Kinda like Super Nanny does on her show.

Tami

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 05-13-2005, 04:22 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Chores for the Children

I think chores for 7 year olds are a wonderful Idea, as long as a chart or schedule is used, after all most 7 yr olds have a short attention spand.

By making a chore schedule, and posting it say, on the fridge, it is a constant reminder of what is expected of them.

I had one, in fact, I still use one, I find it keeps me on track.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My kids are all older now.
But their chores have ranged from:
Setting the table, helping clear the table and doing the dishes.
Sometimes even helping to fix the meals.
Putting away their own laundry.
Picking up their toys.
Putting their own clothes into the laundry.
Their have also matched up the socks after coming out of the dryer.
Dusting the furniture and other things around the house.
Washing the dog or car with supervision.
Helping weed the garden and flower beds.
You could even give them a small area to plant their own vegtables and some flowers to keep them busy this summer.
Hope this helps with your ideas for chores.
Vicky
Old 05-14-2005, 04:56 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I know i find it that my son does the same..he has to be reminded and reminded!

I am tryin to think of any other things there could be to do but I cant..
Mine is also like all the others..Feed/water dogs, empty bathroom trash, toys picked up, clothes put away

i have been trying to think of a chart to do and how to do it exactly...Any ideas on this??