Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Elementary Aged Kids Your little ones have grown up right before your eyes! They are no longer those little babies they once were, and soon they are moving to adolescence.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Those are some good ideas. We've been giving them a few $$ everytime they do something, then every other visit we let them pick a store to spend their money. We just don't want them feeling like they HAVE to because they do at home. We only have them over night one night every two weeks, so we would rather them spend it having fun.
This past weekend I had bought pots, seeds etc and had them plant their seeds (Jasmine & Forget Me Nots). They really enjoyed that and are eager to check to see how they have grown while they have been gone.
But I will try some of your ideas as well. Thanks for the post... great ideas!!
Old 05-18-2007, 03:47 PM
Assistant Moderator

Dee, do they play on the computer at thier mom's house? if not allow them to play games at your house... I know my gbabies this is a priveledge but it a fun one.

some good sites that I've discover due to being a sub teacher the other day for the computer teacher was
funbrain.com
Fast Math
toon university
gamequarium
Primary games
game elephant

another idea I first did with my gbabies were to find out which chores they thought was fun, I would mix up some of thier fun chores with the ones they didn't like so much...
this way it taught them that sometimes you do things you do enjoy but not always. When one of those disalikeable chores comes around, it ok for that just a part of life.

I also do a ticket program... with not just chores but with everything.
they start out with 10 tickets each wk, and when they do thier chores they get one or two tickets, when they behave when we go to the store, they get a ticket, staying on the proper color at school they get a ticket,
since I work I need them to be dress and ready to walk out of the door so when this is done, they get a ticket,
when they don't behave, thier room is not done and I've already told them to do the room, they have to give me a ticket, not being ready chose them a ticket,
not doing thier chore cost them a ticket, and a color change cost them too.

at the end of the wk we add up the tickets to see who wins that little something for the week, it could be a prize they want, or it could be a extra priveledge of somekind

then if they can collect 20 tickets they get a bonus.

it works wonderful so far...
Old 05-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Humble

Thats a great idea Barbar. I was thinking along the same line, but I have hearts that I'm going to print off and laminate, otherwise same idea.
We do allow them to use the computer, as it is something their not allowed to do at home, but it causes some problems because the oldest wants to "boss". When it's her turn she's fine, but when it's her younger sister's turn she wants to tell her what to do and how. Unfortunately, no matter how much her younger sister dislikes it, she won't say anything to her so her dad or myself saying anything doesn't do any good. It's gotten to the point we don't let either one use the computer, that and because they get up and get on it and want to stay there all day. You know how it is... give an inch take a mile. LOL.
I also mentioned before that we were giving them $$ when they did a chore, but we've quit that because they're don't doing chores persay as much as their picking stuff up and moving it from one spot to another (if that makes any sense). Well that and they have no concept, even at their ages, of money in general. Lately we're finding where they stash money because they look at it like another piece of paper, they don't see there's any worth to it. Frankly, not being mean, I could give them a wood nickle and they wouldnt notice.
Thing's have been especially tense lately because their bio-mom was brought in to court BY the court because of her being such a pain. since then they directed her to let my hubby talk to the girls twice a week on the phone. Instead she won't answer and refuses to let them answer. After a month he's talked to them one time and seen them twice and we wonder why nothing we do gets anywhere. We spend all our time trying to deal with their emotional stuff so there never seems to be time left for anything else. Sometimes I just feel like I'm fighting a losing battle because I don't see what good comes from it on behalf of the girls. It just makes me so sad to know there are women like her that take their children for granted.

Thanks again for all the replies, it's REALLY appreciated!!

Dee
Old 11-08-2016, 07:54 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Taking out the garbage
Setting the table
Helping with supper dishes
Putting away their own clothes
Taking their own laundry (bath towels downstairs to the laundry after bathing)
Picking up their toys
Fetching baby things for me when their siblings were little (diapers, bottles, bibs, etc)
Old 01-16-2017, 04:08 AM
Head Moderator

bump