Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Elementary Aged Kids

Elementary Aged Kids Your little ones have grown up right before your eyes! They are no longer those little babies they once were, and soon they are moving to adolescence.

Old 04-21-2004, 07:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Question Do you continue to teach your kids school subjects during summer vacation?

Im planning on talking with my son's teacher before the end of the year to see what they expect him to know for 1st grade. I think that he is prepared to go now but I want him to continue to study throughout his vacation.

I will continue the reading, writing and math but Im looking for fun and exciting lessons too.

What are you planning for your kid? Can you give me any help with fun lessons?

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 04-21-2004, 07:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We go to the library a couple times a week and I insist that books are read a little every day. Also if we are going on a trip Dd#1 will help me plan it, set up packing lists etc. (real life lessons everyone should know). And if we are traveling far, she can research the destination on the internet. Learning fun facts and maybe searching out fun places to stop along the way.

A couple years back I asked her to look up a new word everyday and use it in sentences. She got bored with it really quick, but sure expanded her vocabulary !
Old 04-22-2004, 05:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Our schools usually send home a "Summer Work Packet" for the lower grades (PK-3) to work on during the summer to maintain their skills.

Once they hit 5th grade, they are required to read two books over the summer and write a report on one and be prepared to be tested on the other one on the 1st or 2nd day of school.

That said, I have always required that my children read over the summer. They must read 30 minutes each day before they are allowed any t.v. , game boy, playstation or outdoor priviledges. When we go out of town on vacation, I lower the daily requirement to 20 minutes per day and that is usually done at the end of the day before bedtime.

The summer between 1st & 2nd grade, DS # 2 (now in 4th grade) read 42 books and set a record for our library's Summer Reading Club. I no longer keep track of how many books they each read.

You can look at Wal-Mart for those workbooks they have for each elementary grade level. They are pretty good.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks Ladies

I wish that my son's school would send home a packet like that, Abear. Unfortunately, I think they think that once school is out, they are not responsible any longer until the next school year.

Im going to check with our library to see if they have a summer reading program. Our library is real close to our house so that would make it easier for us to go often. We go now but just once in a while.

He is in the reading challenge at school. The kindergarten class has to read 25 books by the end of the year --they do it in school since most of the kids couldnt read in K. They also have a sheet to list what they read at home. His list has 37 books on it now. We started out by me reading to him and now he reads to us. They are gearing up for their end-of-the-year reading party.

Im hoping that this meeting with his teacher will give me some insight into next year. He knows the first grade teacher already so maybe I will talk to her too. ( that is if we dont move somewhere else first)

Tami

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 04-25-2004, 01:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

In addition to the summer assignment from school, our County Executive also has a Summer Reading Challenge... Kids that complete the list of books and mail in the "I would/would not recommend this book because" forms on each, get a tee-shirt, a certificate from the county exec's office and a letter to their school certifying their participation in the program.

As far as math I just always made a point of taking the kids shopping with me over the sumer. They would get cash for treats every trip, and had to price compare and do their own math to figure out what they could/could not afford.. They could save-up week to week for something better too.. We did puzzles and craft projects that involved having to plan area and perimiters.. volume or other mathamatical equations to prepare the project. ( like building a birdhouse and buying the nproper materials)

Even helping to follow a recipe.. converting fractions to make more or fewer portions than the recipe recommends is a good math practice for the summer... And as the recipe cooks..discuss the thermal reactions for the science class!! LOLOL!!

I think if you make it practical and fun, rather thn book based and school like.. the kids will still be learning something, and enjoy doing the learning..

Val
Old 04-25-2004, 02:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Make it FUN

Unless its fun most kids aren't willing to do much learning during the summer. I keep my friend's grand daughters during the summer and we have a blast! We go to the library at least once a week. They have a summer reading program. For every 10 books read they receive a prize, like a coupon for a Wend'y kid frosty, Mc D. cone, etc. after 20 books read they get a pencil and a medal. If your library doesn't have this you can do it yourself.

We write to family and mail it. They love picking out postcards to send, and they must write neat because is has a small space . Its also short enough to hold their attendtion (both are ADHD) which is a challange.

aaamath.com is a great site. You choose the grade level and skill and they "play" the game. One of the girls loves the challange of beating the computer. There is a timer and a counter for how many she gets right. Hopefully no one will tell them is not really a game!

I also bought a Zoo pass and a Museum / Nature Ctr. pass and we go there on special trips. I have a list of habitats, and they put what animals we have seen in the correct habitat. We only do half the Zoo at time because it gets mighty hot down here, and we can make more than one big trip!

We also sew on buttons, make purses, etc. Helps them learn fractions, and they design their own purses so there is another skill. Yes, I'm a "Nervous Nelly" when they use the machine, but I try not to show it and they do quite well

Cooking is another way to help logic and math skills. We make cookies, fudge, mini muffins, etc. for the Firemen . We have a Firehouse up the street from us. We may take some to the police Station this summer........if I can find ours!

I also teach them how to clean house, and try to make it fum. Its something that we all have to learn, and making it fun and challanging will help them when they are adults.

We also fit in swimming and fruit picking (for jams and jelly they help make and are so proud of themselves!) Day trips, and out door exercise (like walking.........they run). We also have my 3 grandchildren over and they play for a few hours.

So, I'm busy all summer long, and they have a great summer to brag about that they wouldn't have if stuck in a Day Care!
Old 04-25-2004, 03:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

You all have given me so many good ideas! Thanks so much!!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 04-25-2004, 03:51 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Here's what I do with my kids!

Hi,

Usborne Books at home has an incredible summer program called "Summer Around the World". It incorporates all the major subjects and kids absolutely love it! They don't think they're "doing school" at all because they're having so much fun. You can e-mail me for more information if you like. Also, Five in a Row is a homeschool curriculum that is really wonderful, too. It's easy and kids really learn a tremendous amount through literaure. Hope this helps a little.

Happy Reading,

Sandi Graff
Idependent Education Consultant S1839
Usborne Books At Home
www.ubah.com/S1839

Last edited by barbszy; 07-16-2009 at 04:31 AM.
Old 04-25-2004, 03:54 PM
kellyandkids

Grab the homeschool curriculum Five in a Row. Look at it at fiveinarow.com (hope I got that right).

This is a great program based on books in the lib. The idea is you read the same book each day for 5 days and then do some project based on the reading book: art, building, sewing, a game, science.

The reading books without the help of the curriculum would be great.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi,

I'm a preschool teacher as well as a mom of 6 (5 still home). I have lots of sites bookmarked with lesson plans/ideas, crafts, science experiments, etc. for my students as well as my own kids.

Some of the sites I use are:
www.atozteacherstuff.com
www.sitesforteachers.com (lots of links on this one)
www.dltk-kids.com
www.theideabox.com

To find specific stuff for your child, type in a general reference (such as dinosaurs, kites, trains) + education + grade level (kindergarten/first grade/etc) == it will bring up a bunch of stuff that might help you with your child.

Good luck!

BTW, I plan on this summer working with my son in 3rd grade on multiplication tables thru worksheets and one of my twins in 2nd grade with reading/writing and math (she was recently diagnosed with ADD and is currently borderline on "grade level" so I want to boost her levels before next year).

Charlene, mother to five

When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window.