Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-16-2002, 12:49 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Arthritis help

Hi. My Mom has problems sweeping and vacuuming due to arthritis. Does anyone have any hints? Do any of you use a bagless vacuum? If so what brand works well? What about those smallbroom vacs? If so what brand? Thank you for your help. She needs to stay independent as long as possible.
Blessings, Jane
Old 09-22-2002, 11:06 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

MOM WITH ARTHRITIS

HI. I DO NOT HAVE ARTHRITIS SO I CAN NOT ATTEST TO HOW THIS WOULD WORK FOR YOUR MOM. I BORROWED A BAGLESS SWEEPER WHEN MY KIRBY BROKE DOWN. I WILL NEVER OWN A BAGLESS SWEEPER!!!!!!!! I HAD TO EMPTY IT SEVERAL TIMES BECAUSE THE DOG HAIR KEPT PLUGGING UP THE SUCTION. IT SAYS IT IS BETTER FOR ALLERGIES BECAUSE YOU DO NOT HAVE THE BAG BUT I DON'T SEE HOW. EVERY TIME I EMPTIED IT THE DUST FLEW EVERYWHERE! YUCK!!!! MAYBE IF YOU DIDN'T HAVE A PET YOU WOULDN'T HAVE TO EMPTY IT AS OFTEN. BUT I THOUGHT IT WAS VERY INCONVIENENT TO CONSTANTLY HAVE TO STOP SWEEPING TO GO EMPTY THE CANISTER. I HOPE MAYBE SOMEONE ELSE HAS HAD BETTER LUCK WITH THESE SWEEPERS. TAKE CARE.
Old 09-22-2002, 11:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Well ....

I got the vacuum I wanted for a wedding gift ... a Hoover bagless system that I thought was awesome. Yeah, right. :mad:

The seals leak so the dust is getting out. The canister you empty is messier to empty than disposable bags. And the darn thing is almost as heavy as the Kirby I replaced it with. :mad:

So much for great ideas. I thought it would be easier to use because of the drive it has. Well, it is somewhat. And I have to clean the darn filter too! That's another mess. Plus it falls out when I'm emptying the canister. Argh!

Ok, now I'm going to sound like a salesperson but I don't care. I just had a Kirby guy over here this past week in fact. He showed me the new system they have .....

NOTHING BUT ELECTROLUX CAN COMPARE!

I'm not raving about the dumb attachments, which are extensive and not so dumb. The seals are awesome, the disposable bags are a breeze to change, The bags are the filters ... no cleaning the darn filter or it falling out on you, the drive makes it easy to push with a pinky finger! The huge downside is that it's expensive. But it's average lifespan is 45 years! And I know that's true for Kirby from experience. So, you may want to check into one of them. The guy here tried selling it to me for about $1500.00 ... no decimal misplacement, sorry. So, it's quite an investment. But it sucks EVERYTHING up. It cleaned so much more after I went over my floor a total of, we counted, 20 times with mine! I couldn't believe how much more it picked up! Amazing machine.

So, there's my suggestion. If she wants the dust to not come back out, a healthier and cleaner home, easy to use and maintain vacuum ... Get a Kirby!

Good luck and hope I gave you some insight into this.

Last edited by KristinW; 10-04-2002 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-24-2002, 07:59 PM
Assistant Moderator

Hi there
I have an upright vacuum cleaner and I much prefer this to a barrel one. Yes you do have to empty a bag but only every few times or you can replace it if you wish, it depends on the amount of dirt and dust you have. I do the tiles and the carpet and have no hassles with either surface. My mother has arthritis and she has one and loves it. It's a Hoover.
Money is also a factor in what you buy.

Old 09-25-2002, 03:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing arthritis

I paid 1500.00 for a tri-star canister vac which I loved. I was easy to use(Ihave arthritis in my hips and hands). I have also had it for 20yrs. I bought a new house and needed 2 vacs. I tried the Bissel Plus and fell in love again! I had 13 Chows that decide to take over my house. I figure if the vacuum can handle the dogs,so can I. I'm down to 1 Chow Chow and 1 ****er Spaniel (who sheds worse than the Chow) and still have both vacs and also bought a Oreck! If you need more info let me know,this is my opion from my experience.
Old 09-26-2002, 02:07 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing Sweeping & Cleaning with Arthritis

HI,

Since I have arthritis and at 54 each year it has been getting much harder for me. I do admit that there really isn't too much of an answer to the sweeper problem. When cleaning, and doing my house work I have to do it a little at a time, then rest. The stiffness is there and sometimes pain. I must add since I have had it for more than 20 years, and still chase my 5 dogs, cat's and rabbits around and not to mention taking care of 3 grandsons on an amost daily basis, it can be very, very hard on a person.

A suggestion I would have since I have worked in a nursing home, and also I do private duty would be to help her with the cleaning that gives her too much of problem, or if this is impossible maybe a family member or friend can help, of course with her concent. But the best way with old man arth is to keep active, and even work out with stretches and watch the weight to keep the joints less stressfree. Once you quite using you loose it!! Hope this will help. Donna
Old 09-27-2002, 05:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I also have arthritis, Osteoprosis, and heart problems.. I have always had a good sweeper, I THOUGHT. My hubby recently bought me an ORECK. (I had an ELECTROLUX before) Well, I can not say enough good for the ORECK. I absolutely love it. It is very light weight, and cleans better than anything I have ever had before. I sweep my carpet everyday, because it is so easy to push now. It only weighs 8#, I think. It has a long cord, so can sweep our living room, hall and kitchen without having to keep unplugging it. The suction is unbelievable.

Several years ago had bought a bagless one, and hated it for all the same reasons mentioned. It went into the next garage sale. They are worthless. Don't waste your money. As I said, I LOVE my ORECK. Will NEVER own anything else. (And I have tried them all...HOOVER, BISSELL, RED DEVIL, etc. etc.)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by CAFE; 09-27-2002 at 05:10 AM.
Old 09-27-2002, 07:19 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Arthritis

I have arthritis for 11 years now and i am 38. The best thing is get a Oreck. It is the BEST sweeper I have ever had. Like the other lady said it is light weight and so very easy to use and to change bags as well. I know how hard it can be with this disease I also have two other types of arthritis. You do a little at a time or a little each day. Rest in between doing your chores. I know this takes longer but you do get it done. And the bags are easy to change in a oreck. I wouldn't get another vacumn unless it was an oreck. I have had so many sweeper that just turns out they don't work with anything. This is the first I have had something work this good. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please just ask.
Chloe