Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education

Education Daycare providers, teachers, homeschoolers, and parents. Gather here to share your thoughts and ideas.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Summer Reading - What are your kids reading?

My son's summer reading list consists of:

The Hunger Games Trilogy
The Hunger Games
Catching Fire
Mockingjay

The Missing Series
Found
Sent
Sabotaged

and a couple of Mike Lupica books:

The Big Field
The Miracle on 49th Street

My daughter's summer reading list consists of:

The Mystery Pups
Framed

Party Time - Aussie Nibbles books

Animal Ark Series

The Rainbow Magic Fairies Series

What are your kids reading this summer?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My daughter is going into 12th grade, but taking a college english class. These are their choices this year:

Note: You are required to read any two (2) of the books listed below.

Executive Orders, Tom Clancy
Jack Ryan tries to rebuild the government after a terrorist attack. (Counts as two (2) books)

Flyboys, James Bradley
The true story of young American airmen who were shot
down over Chichi Jima. Eight men, taken prisoners, were captured by Japanese troops. Another was rescued by an American submarine and went on to become President. The reality of what happened to the eight prisoners has remained a secret for almost 60
years.

Return of the Native, Thomas Hardy
Set in the brooding heath lands of England, the novel lays bare the frailties of human love.

Life of Pi, Yann Martel
A 16 year-old boy struggles with survival, identity, and faith while shipwrecked in the Pacific Ocean on a 26 foot lifeboat for 227 days with a 450 pound Bengal tiger and three other animals.

Zen and the Art Motorcycle Maintenance, Robert Pirsig
This book, an autobiography of the mind and body, takes the reader literally into the mind of the author’s emotional and philosophical feelings.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Has she decided which ones she's going to read?

We found 8 more books for my dd's reading list yesterday at GoodWill's BOGO sale. They are remodeling our GoodWill so she had to dig in a big pile of books to find them - that made finding them even more fun for her! $4.00 for 8 books...can't beat it!!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 06-24-2011, 07:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I read the Hunger Games Triology and really liked it. My 20's something daughter suggested it to me. It has been very popular at my library, so I decided to read it.

Not sure how old your kids are, but here are some of the popular books and authors that kids at my library are reading.
Puppy Place books by Ellen Miles
Diary of a Wimpy Kid bokks by Jeff Kinney
Percy Jackson seris by Rick Riordan
Gordon Korman series Kidnapped and Shipwrecked
Main Street series by Ann M Martin

Of course the Magic Treehouse books and The Boxcar Children are still popular. Thanks to last summer's movie Ramona books have made a come back too.

For a little bit older child--
Scott Westerfeld's Uglies Triology
Old 06-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
I read the Hunger Games Triology and really liked it. My 20's something daughter suggested it to me. It has been very popular at my library, so I decided to read it.

Not sure how old your kids are, but here are some of the popular books and authors that kids at my library are reading.
Puppy Place books by Ellen Miles
Diary of a Wimpy Kid bokks by Jeff Kinney
Percy Jackson seris by Rick Riordan
Gordon Korman series Kidnapped and Shipwrecked
Main Street series by Ann M Martin

Of course the Magic Treehouse books and The Boxcar Children are still popular. Thanks to last summer's movie Ramona books have made a come back too.

For a little bit older child--
Scott Westerfeld's Uglies Triology
I just traded one of the Uglies books that I bought for 50 cents because my son said that it was popular with the girls in his class. He said that he would never read but he would trade for them.

He loves Gordon Korman and I think that he's read all of his books. In fact, I have Swindle sitting right here on the shelf next to me.

He's read all of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid except the new one and now my daughter is ready to read them so I'm sure we will be buying the new one, too.

We just went to see Ramona and Beesus. Ramona's books are still popular in my dd's school, too.

My dd has been wanting to get the Puppy Place books but since we've started collecting the Magic Tree House series, A-Z series, the Littles, and the Animal Ark series...along with the Series of Unfortunate Events series, I told her that we should hold off on those. lol! Although I did find some in GoodWill and now I'm kicking myself that I didn't buy them.

I haven't heard of the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan so I will be checking into those.

I try not to buy books at full price but when my son said that he didn't get the chance to finish the Hunger Games book 1 in school and the library has 24 people on the list before him, I bought it for him to finish reading. We ended up buying the last paperback copy at Books a Million that day. He does have the second book from the library already. We picked it up this week.

It's rare that he will mention that he really wants to read a series so when he mentioned this one, I encouraged it. Same thing with Gordon Korman's books.

I'm trying to get him to finish reading the last Twilight series book. He's read all but the last book.

And of all books that he likes to read, he likes Laura Ingalls Wilder "Little House" series. He picked up two of them the other day.

Thank you for all of the suggestions!!! If you come up with any more, please post them for me!!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 06-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Here is a new series suggested to me this spring by a fellow librarian. She said it was a good series for boys. The MacGregor family adventure series by Richard Trout. Some of the titles include Caymen Gold, Elepahnt Ears, Devil's Breath Volcano and
Old 06-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

oops hit the wrong button---- and Falcon of Abydos. I haven't read them so I don't know if they are good, but maybe you could see if your library has them and give them a try.
Has your son read any of Christopher Paolini's books--Eragon, Brisingr..... ?
I have a couple of 8th grade/freshman boys reading Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series. These same boys loved Brian Jacques Redwall series.

Just some suggestions. It is hard to find books that appeal to boys.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
oops hit the wrong button---- and Falcon of Abydos. I haven't read them so I don't know if they are good, but maybe you could see if your library has them and give them a try.
Has your son read any of Christopher Paolini's books--Eragon, Brisingr..... ?
I have a couple of 8th grade/freshman boys reading Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series. These same boys loved Brian Jacques Redwall series.

Just some suggestions. It is hard to find books that appeal to boys.
My son doesn't like books like Eragon, Harry Potter..etc. That's why it surprised me when he said that he was reading the Hunger Games.

I'll ask him about the other series and at the same time, I will look into them. It's so hard to keep boys his age interested in reading.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Did I mention here that he's playing the Prince in Cinderella for the toddlers play put on by our library? My dd is playing a wicked stepsister. lol! I'll have to post pictures of that one. It's not happening until next month.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus