Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education

Education Daycare providers, teachers, homeschoolers, and parents. Gather here to share your thoughts and ideas.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Anyone else have kids in school studying for end of grade tests already?

I'm so about this subject!!!

It's only the beginning of April and both of my kids are now reviewing for their EOGs (end of grade tests)!!! The tests will be given at the beginning of May!! They are giving them so early so that those who fail the tests can take them again!!!! The kids have 3 more chances to pass the test.

What the heck ever happened to studying for the test that you NEEDED to pass the first time?!?

The schools in this state are all about the numbers and placement points that they earn from the kids who pass these tests. (My kids being at the tops of their classes earn them the highest points.) They are just using them.

School isn't out until June 9, so from May 9 until June 9 nothing new will be taught!!!!!

My son has been watching "G" rated movies (yes, movies that he watched in early elementary school!) since some of the kids are still working on finishing up their math files that are required for passing 7th grade. Mind you, he has been finished for 2 weeks now and has been "reading" his AR books (yeah, right. He's 13. How much reading do you think that he actually does during this time?). One class movies, one class reading...what's next...coloring??? They refuse to put him in advanced math classes. I've asked. Because he didn't pass the AIG testing going into 6th grade with high enough scores, he can't be in those classes! OMG!! Last year he was in regular classes but they had him studying advanced math - they just wouldn't move him to the classes to make him feel like he belonged to their group. I feel like they are doing him such an injustice.

We are stuck in this area because of my dh's job. I wish that I could do something about the way they test. I've read some things about parents actually getting together and "opting their children out of taking EOGs". Supposedly most states will allow you to opt them out if you say and can prove it goes against your religious views. One mom said that it was against her family beliefs and morals. If I could find some actual facts on this and how to do this in NC, I would be right there doing it!!! I don't feel that my kids are being taught well enough in school so why should I allow them to use my kids' test scores?

It will be even worse next year. Our county is laying off at least 250 teachers and assistants. It's going to be bad.

Sorry for the rant. I just had to get this off my chest. Most people around here just bury their heads in the sand and go along with everything. That's drives me nuts!!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Last edited by ajrsmom; 04-02-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:53 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

If the school is doing their job,the child is of relative intelligence, and the child is getting adequate sleep and food, he or she should be able to pass the first time. I think the schools are trying to compensate for inadequacies in all the above. It should not be all about testing scores but rather about learning. jmo

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 04-11-2011, 06:19 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

I agree with you DeBora. If they aren't teaching then how can they get the higher grades on these tests that the schools actually want.

they need to stop comparing the students in one state to those in another state.

Here, our school district is one of the richer ones (so they say), so our kids are considered smarter than those in another district. The ones in the poorer district just don't have the advanced classes as ours so of course they don't seem as smart.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:30 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

That brings me to a complaint I have. Many universities add points to your college entrance exams if you are a minority. I heard of a female Black student and a male White student who grew up in the same area. The White student was underprivileged. He also had a bad home life so nobody was working with him. But, he wanted to go to college, so he studied hard all his life. However, because he was White, they took his test scores at face value. The Black student had a great education, but never studied or tried hard. Since they padded her test scores to enter college, even though her raw score was lower than the White male, she got accepted into the university and he did not!

I thought our constitution stated ...something about not being based on age, race, sex, sexual orientation, and so on. Wasn't he refused based on race? I think acceptance and aid should be based on need, not race. Many White students live in poverty conditions and go to poor schools and many Blacks attend pricy schools and receive the best education, and vice versa. When will people stop looking at one's race and look at the individual's need and background? Okay, I will get off my soapbox.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!