Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education

Education Daycare providers, teachers, homeschoolers, and parents. Gather here to share your thoughts and ideas.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Anyone else dealing with teacher layoffs?

Yesterday was the last day of school for both of my kids. I spent the last 30 minutes of the year with my dd's kindergarten class. Everyone was happy and dancing around. Her teacher and her asst. teacher hugged everyone and told them how proud of them they were and that they better stop in to see them next year.

I asked her teacher if she thought that she would get to keep her new classroom next year. She said yes, that she thought that she would remain in the same room and that she was so happy about that. This was at 1:30 and the school was emptying out.

By 3:00 her teacher had found out that she was being laid off - part of 667 teachers in our county that are getting the boot. Come to find out, this school is laying off 13 teachers.

Our county wants to raise the number of kids per class to at least 25 for kindergarten and up to 32 per class in 4 & 5th grade.

My heart is breaking for her. She is an absolutely wonderful teacher.

I cannot understand how this county can use tax money to fix roads and to "revitalize" the area instead of focusing on our children's educations. I've spent enough time in the classrooms for the last 3 years to know that the teachers work their butts off with the very little they are given to work with.

My son had 24 kids in his class this year-- I cannot imagine a classroom with 32 kids in it. The teachers are no longer allowed to discipline the kids so when you have 1 or more students disrupting the class, it's chaos.

I'm so upset over this that I'm finding it hard to focus today. The county has released a message saying that there is a chance that a few of the teachers (out of 667) might be rehired to teach in other areas, not necessarily the grade or area that they have been in.

Is anyone else dealing with teacher layoffs? If so, are you getting involved in any way within in the community to try to stop it?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Sorry to here about the teachers being laid off in your area.So far our area has not been affected by teacher lay=off but know the Dallas Texas area has been hit.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:37 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

i know here in NC in one of our bigger cities there is suppose to be a lay off of teachers and other school personel. Here where i am at we just had a teacher retire with either 57 or 59 years in of teaching. I also know that some colledge grads who were planning on being teachers and took courses only pertaining to this are not gonna be able to get a job at teaching because of a freeze on hiring. You know the economy is bad when teachers get laid off. All i keep hearing is how they want to still reduce class room size. Well you can't reduce size and lay off teachers or not hire others.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfe
Well you can't reduce size and lay off teachers or not hire others.
I totally agree!

Our county has now said that they are planning on rehiring some of the teachers but that they are going to move them around to teach different grade levels and that they might even end up at different schools.

JFE, what part of NC are you in? I live in Gaston County.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 06-12-2009, 07:46 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

i live in Surry county. Is Gaston county where the Charlotte schools is?
Old 06-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfe
i live in Surry county. Is Gaston county where the Charlotte schools is?
No, that's Mecklenburg County but we live in the county next door to them. Are you near Charlotte? They are having a really tough time there, too.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 06-12-2009, 08:46 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

no i am about 2 hrs or a little more from there up towards the va stateline. This young man who just finished at Appalatchian (spelling?) State Teachers colledge in Boone told me he was qualified to teach highschool history but now cannot find a job because of the hiring freeze. So now if he can't find a job teaching, he will either have to go back to school or hopefully find a job doing something and waste his education.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Wow that's a nice thing to hear on your last day of work, you're laid off, I hope she is not out of work long.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Kathy how is the economy in your part of the world? Is it effecting teachers like over here?
Old 06-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

About a month or so ago we had a teachers strike, ds2 loved the day off school.

Because our state in the last year has had many natural disasters this last 8-12mths to cover the costs for fixing the huge flooded areas, the cyclone the year before (to which we were still costing) and then we had more storms, a shipping container loose it's load of oil for most of our coast line (clean up was huge along the coastline and affected tourism) then more recent floods ( I was ready to build my ark with all the rain LOL) taxes are going up, the water rates are going up, the house loan interest rate is going up and they are trying to take some of the perks away from the teachers and cut some rates of pay from other jobs (not going down well and I'm glad I own my home) There is also talk of selling off part of our rail ownership, our telco and electricity ... that stuff usually goes overseas (not happy) to pay for the disaster cleanups

According to the federal govt we have narrowly avoided the big global recession by the skin of our teeth but things are still tight ..... doesn't stop the politicians and the CEO's of huge corporations giving a pay rise to themselves.
I'm sure these things go on all over the world is unfair but there are very poor countries out there that are doing it very tough.

Oh and we've just lost our petrol subsidy and it's up to $1.20's per litre again ..... apart from that all is going swimmingly LOL