Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education

Education Daycare providers, teachers, homeschoolers, and parents. Gather here to share your thoughts and ideas.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Sad face 11 yr. old commits suicide after being bullied in school

This story breaks my heart. An 11 yr. old commited suicide after repeatedly being bullied. http://www.thebostonchannel.com/cnn-...70/detail.html

Having delt with a similiar situation with my son, I truly feel so heartbroken for this women who lost her child due to this. The pain and suffering that her son must have gone through is just awful!

Some kids can be so mean! IMO, the school did nothing to help the situation at all.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 04-10-2009, 10:55 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

OMG Tami that is horrible...There is so much bullying going on at schools all over the country...My heart breaks for this woman and for her son...
Old 04-11-2009, 01:44 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I wonder if this is the story that my professor was telling my class about? She stated that some bullies were telling a male classmate to go home and kill himself and do everyone a favor. This was done in front of the teacher. The kid went home and killed himself. The mother is not only suing the school, but the teacher as well.

It is looking more and more like this is what I am going to write my thesis over. It is a hot topic to research. I thought about looking at the victims and the effects on the victims of bullies, but what I am discovering is that many of the bullies are victims themselves.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 04-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

This makes me sick. My dd was bullied and tried to commit suicide when she was 8. Thank God, she didn't know how. She asked me how to drown and it was horrible. Schools all say they have a 0 tolerance policy and that is crap. Nobody really steps in, and when they do they always want to rehabilitate the victim. She attended so many counselling classes and the bullies did not. I know we can't be there for everyone, but c'mon, you can always tell the one who is being bullied!

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 04-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

This is just so sad.

I was bullied in school growing up, but not to the point of killing myself, sometimes at school I would find a spot that no one else seemed to know about just to eat my lunch. Children are so vulnerable.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

what is this world coming 2.....
Old 04-24-2009, 07:47 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

That is so sad. Bullying is not supposed to be allowed in school. Why don't the teachers step in and stop it? And why isn't it reported to the parents?

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-24-2009, 08:04 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

This is terrible! I was bullied and abused with verbal sexual remarks when I was in high school. It was terrible. One kid tried to shove me like he did other girls. Problem was I weighed about 95 pounds to thier 140. He threw me into a four drawer filing cabinet. The teacher wanted to kill this kid. Other than getting into trouble wiht the teacher nothing was done. The mom would come into the school yelling, they had money so nothing was done. All the boys in that class were horrible. One was bullied and blamed for everything to the point he quit school. He wasn't any better than the other boys but he got all the blame.

People of all ages need to be responsible for their actions.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

What I have found over the years (too many of them) is that nobody wants to be the disciplinarian and nobody wants to deal with the parents. The victim almost always ends up in the principal's office and in counselling and the bullies end up popular. I am dealing with it now again, and it is making me sick, I can just imagine how dd feels. The victims also don't want others to intervene as that will cause them worse trauma.
This whole thing is out of control and it will take a lot of strong people to begin to make it better. Parents also need to understand that yes, their child can do wrong and yes, their child needs direction.
Sorry, getting off my soap box!

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 04-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I think parents should have a reasonable expectation that their children will be protected and have a proper learning environment. I think that the "no child left behind" law now prevents teachers and schools from kicking kids out who are problematic. My solution is to create schools for delinquents. They do this for correctional facilities. The inmates who are so mean and dangerous that they are a danger to other inmates are put in special facilities that give them more one-on-one guards and they get out of their cells 1 hour per day for exercise. They are simply too dangerous to put with other inmates. The government has a legal obligation to protect inmates once they've been arrested.

My point is that I don't see why the same government wouldn't have the same obligation towards our children who are the future of our world. A victim should NOT have to "rat" on his perpetrators. The teachers and staff should be aware of problematic kids. Some are more sneaky about it, but I can assure you that they do slip up and get caught and other kids do know what is going on. The bullies, whether or not they do anything physical to their victims, impact their victims for the rest of their lives. Also, many bullies are also victims themselves. That is why when a bully is caught, he or she should be placed in counseling to discover what is motivating that kid.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!