"Movie Night" reward for reading!

• If your child enjoys reading books that have been made into movies, take advantage of it. Plan a "movie night" complete with popcorn, sodas and candy to go along with the movie version of the book series that he/she has finished reading. This gives them a goal to look forward to.

We did this with my son this past year when he decided to read Lemony Snicket's " A Series of Unfortunate Events" for his A.R. points for school. We watched the movie this summer when he had completed the series ("very disappointing" compared to the books ), ate popcorn and candy and drank sodas.

Right after that, we happen to see a lady out in a store who was wearing a shirt from the movie. Now he's on the lookout for one. lol!!
  • Tami that is a really good idea! It was funny, last night both of my younger boys were complaining that their TVs were on the blink, one was having issues with the Nickelodeon channel and the other with his volume (rolling eyes). So I told them to turn off the TV and read. Boy the groans that came out of them! LOL

I love the comment about how the movie was disappointing compared to the books. They always are aren't they?? I had that same experience with "Eragon" as did thousands of other Eragon fans. HUGE disappointment, but my boys liked the movie as they hadn't read the detail rich novel that I did.

My boys have always had to have extra help reading, it's not really enjoyable for them. I wonder if I could get them to read more with this idea?

Aside from Harry Potter and Lemony Snickets, anyone have any ideas for books turned into movies we could start with?
  • The chronicles of narnia is anouther good set Amanda

We do the same idea here with our kids

Hugs debbie
  • Quote: Tami that is a really good idea! It was funny, last night both of my younger boys were complaining that their TVs were on the blink, one was having issues with the Nickelodeon channel and the other with his volume (rolling eyes). So I told them to turn off the TV and read. Boy the groans that came out of them! LOL

I love the comment about how the movie was disappointing compared to the books. They always are aren't they?? I had that same experience with "Eragon" as did thousands of other Eragon fans. HUGE disappointment, but my boys liked the movie as they hadn't read the detail rich novel that I did.

My boys have always had to have extra help reading, it's not really enjoyable for them. I wonder if I could get them to read more with this idea?

Aside from Harry Potter and Lemony Snickets, anyone have any ideas for books turned into movies we could start with?
    I don't think that I've ever seen a movie that was as good as the book that it was based on. Like I told my son before he watched the movie, when you are reading a book, your mind is producing its own movie--more likely one that won't be anything like the movie that was made. I've always told him that this was the best thing about reading!

I'm going to look into more books/movies combos and I'll let you know if I find anything.

Andy has never like Harry Potter so I doubt that he will read that series.
  • Here are some books (not necessarily a series) that have been turned into movies:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    Holes
    Tuck Everlasting

Here's a blog that lists kids' books to movies.