FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Education (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/education/)
-   -   Do you kids ride the school bus? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/education/23129-do-you-kids-ride-school-bus.html)

ajrsmom 07-13-2008 10:30 AM

Do you kids ride the school bus?

After two years we have finally settled into a routine of driving my son to school in the morning and then he rides the bus home in the afternoon. That's the plan for this year when I will have both kids in school. My DD will go to full day kindergarten so she will ride the bus home with my DS.

We've had some minor fights and arguments on the bus but nothing compared to some of the trouble that I've read some people have had to deal with. That scares me. One of the big problems that we have to deal with is overcrowding. Sometimes my DS has had to ride 4 in a seat! :hishh: I've complained about this but no one really seems to care. Thankfully they've added 2 buses for the coming year. Not sure yet if that will help or not since there are about 200 more students slated to join the school this year!

Do your kids ride the bus? Have you ever had any trouble with it? Are the buses overcrowded?

Here's an article on school bus safetey. I have to say that I agree with this lady!

cindylee 07-13-2008 09:04 PM

For about 10 yrs we only lived a couple blocks from school in a rural area,,then we moved and for the last 8 yrs all 3 of my daughter rode the bus,,here in the area we live in once again rural,,everyone knows everyone,,and we were lucky enough never to have any problems with fighting, bullying or anything like that or over crowded,,gosh that is scary,,

happymomof4 07-14-2008 03:21 AM

My kids have always rode the bus where we live. We have had a few miner problems. Nothing to important. We are one of the first stops now that they are in high school. They get the bus at 6:30am. I don't like that becasue it is dark in the winter. But they are at the bottom of our driveway so they don't have to be on the road. We live in a rural area. You have to worry about the deer running you over before the cars would.

When the kids were in elementary school they had 3 kids to a seat. High school there are 2 to a seat. So the buses aren't to bad. I believe our state has some laws about the amount of kids that can be in a bus by age groups. So I would check with your state laws and see if they school is following them.

barbszy 07-14-2008 03:41 AM

In NJ the law is the same as PA where happymomof4 is. 3 to a seat for grade school, 2 for high school.

However, my kids do not attend public school. The public school districts are required to provide busing OR a transportation reimbursement to private-school students. So my kids do get a school bus. However, we are at the mercy of the public school time schedule so my younger kids are in school 25 minutes earlier than they need to be....they are also first on, last off. NOT the ideal.

I could drive the kids to school, but I feel like I need to have the bus option for those days when someone is sick--why would I wake a sick child if I don't have to, so I can take the sibling to school? My kids are the only ones at our bus stop, so if we stop taking the bus in the morning then the bus will stop coming down our block.

My son has told me that some of his friends who live in another town have a VERY overcrowded bus. Rumor has it that the town is doing this to discourage the private school kids from using the bus. They will not provide a second bus. Glad that is not the issue for me.

Pag36 07-18-2008 10:39 AM

My kids and grands have all ridden the bus to and from, one reasone being I don't drive. Now and then Gina will drive Steven to school since it is just more or less around the corner. None have ever been overcrowded all thro' the years. Steven is the only one that gets on in the morning but he and the grand across the street get off in the evening some times another child who lives across the road from where the bus picks/drops them.

Coll 07-19-2008 01:41 PM

DD1 and ds always rode the bus. They never complained, they actually liked our bus driver.
Miriam's only compliant was that the bus was too noisy.
Maddie will be riding the bus this year, hope she likes it.

Catwoman 08-19-2008 11:43 AM

My poor boys would LIKE to ride the school bus, but we've always lived within a short distance from their elementary school. Next year, DS#1 will ride the bus to junior high (Gawd, I can't believe I just typed that sentence), and if we live in the same neighborhood that we're in now, they will both ride the bus to high school.

So, in other words, my kids will have to ride the bus when it's not "cool" to do so anymore.:hahaha:

HAPPY6 08-19-2008 01:00 PM

My grandkids are lucky the bus stops right in front of my house to pick them up each morning. One grandson is starting middle school in September and his bus stop will be right next door. No overcrowding or trouble on the school bus. ........My other 3 grandson's live in the next town and get their bus right on the corner and no overcrowding or trouble on their bus. All the bus drivers are really great!

Pag36 08-19-2008 02:56 PM

Steven catches the bus at the corner so far no trouble on the bus. They did have a driver they did not like but now with this lady all is well. And I hope it stays that way

madmum 05-15-2009 06:24 AM

We have only had a school bus scheme since 2003 (even then it was a pilot scheme). It was based on the American buses. They are adapted 'normal buses' and are yellow.

We have never used them as I have always walked my little ones to school, but my eldest daughter will move up to secondary school in September and she will have to either use public transport or school bus (depends which school she gets given) as I can't be in 2 places at once and I don't drive.

I am a little uneasy of her using public transport on her own (she hasn't used it alone yet she is only 11)
so I am still working out what is the best way to approach this