Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education

Education Daycare providers, teachers, homeschoolers, and parents. Gather here to share your thoughts and ideas.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Summer Reading

Now that it is Summertime and school has come to an end, are your kids still reading?
How many of you have a Summer Reading program at your Library? Are your children taking part in it? If they are please share something about it.

My Library has a Summer Reading program "Catch the Reading Bug". We have a story time for 3 thru 5 year olds and Brown Bag movies and craft time for Kindergarten thru Sixth grade. The Reading program kids are suppose to log at least 15 mins. of reading each day to be elilable for prizes on the indiviual level. We also have a team competition where all of the kids are on one of 4 teams. The team member earn points for reading books, attending programs, wearing their team button, etc. We are hoping the team competion will help boost circulation and get the kids involved in cheering on their other team members who might need a little encouragement to read. This is the first year we have tried this, so we will have to see how it works.
We conclude our program with a party at the end. You must have participated through out the program to be able to come. We have hired a magician who also does balloon art to entertain at the final party.

Please share what your children will be doing to keep reading this summer.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

There is a blog for adolescent literature that lists books and even comic books that are good reads for young people. It is pajka.blogspot.com
Old 06-20-2008, 10:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My daughter is going into 7th grade and is required to read 3 books. I don't know what the "accountability" will be when she goes back to school.

Four Perfect Pebbles: A Holocaust Story by Lila Perl and Marion Blumenthal Lazan
Running Out of Time by Margaret Peterson Haddix
Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen

I do wish, though, that they'd get a little original. She has one Holocaust book and one Native American-theme book. There has to be more stuff written for kids her age than those 2 themes.

My older son's high school is doing "One School, One Book." Every student and teacher is required to read Shackleton's Way: Leadership Lessons from the Great Antarctic Explorer. Teachers and coaches will be expected to incorporate this book into all areas of the curriculum during this year.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Just checked the link Phyllis shared. It is a blog about Deaf Characters in Adolescent Literature.

I'd love to get a good list of reading suggestions for my older children.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:11 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

The one things about the books on this blog is that they are good books even if they do have a deaf character in them and they have been read by Professor Pajka. She happens to be a teacher of the deaf and had such a hard time finding books for their reading level that she decided to do this blog to give teachers and parents some idea of what good books are out there. She even has some comic books that she uses for her students. That's something that will always hook the boys and who cares as long as they read and it's not trash.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Phyllis, that was a great idea for your friend to start that blog with the information on books with deaf characters.

I am going to have to look around for a good source on book ideas for my big kids. Of course, DD doesn't like anything I recommend.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My kids are in the summer reading programn here.Right now I am trying to get my youngest do some of the reading and I try to read to her as well.
Mish
The other 2 love to read so that is a good thing and as adult too.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Our local library has the "Catch the Reading Bug" program, too. They have storytime for the younger kids but nothing for the older kids.

My son is finishing up the "The Series of Unfortunate Events" books. He's in the middle of the second to last book and then he can watch the movie. He read the other books in the series during the second half of the school year and was able to take tests on them to earn his A.R. points. If he decided to try out for his school's safety patrol team next year, he has to read one book (his grade level or above) and be able to take a test on it the day school starts.

Barbszy, I would love to see a good reading list for older kids, too. If you find one, please share it with us!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Mish--- What ages are your children? I think it is great that you are reading to your youngest. One of the ways to get kids to read is to read to them and let them see you reading too. I am finding that many of the young parents in my area are so busy that they are not reading themselves and then wonder why their children don't like to read.
Tami--Our Summer Reading program includes children up to Sixth grade. I wish we had the staff to provide a program for the tween / teen kids, but it just isn't possible to fit anything in the summer (and stay sane) I have tried to do some extra programs for that age group in the fall and winter. Tami, my middle school English teacher has sent me the list for the middle school AR books. We mark all of the books on list that our library owns so it is easier for the kids can find something to read for AR. It is a pretty big list and has some good books on it. I might be able to scan it into the computer and e-mail it to you.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My daughter teaches the deaf and comprehension is a big problem for them sometimes. She was teaching high school kids reading and they thought of it as a bore so she decided to make it interesting. She bought some clay and after they read a chapter of the book, the students had to make something out of clay that pretained to what they had read and explain it to the class. At first the students laughed because they thought my daughter was off her rocker by suggesting something they played with in grammar school but soon they really got into it. Their projects became a competition to see who could make the best and finish first. She also did this with fingerpaints and drawing. Even though these were high school kids, they really began to enjoy it a lot and through the project, the story stuck with them.