Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education

Education Daycare providers, teachers, homeschoolers, and parents. Gather here to share your thoughts and ideas.

View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with the education that your child is receiving from their school?
Yes 5 26.32%
No 6 31.58%
Both Yes and No 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Are you satisfied with the education that your child is receiving from their school?

With all of the talk of the new "No Child Left Behind" Laws, do you think that it has made a big difference in your school systems?

Are you satisfied with the education that your child is receiving?

Are you happy with the teachers?

Are there areas that need special attention and improvements?

Please join us in this poll to discuss these issues.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 03-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I've been fighting the county & city school program this year as DD2 is in the special needs pre-school program for her 2nd year. I was told that she had to start Kindergarten in August even though she can't write letters, numbers nor shapes. She can't undo and redo buttons, work snaps, tie shoes, put on socks, etc (she is 12-18 months behind her age in OT tasks).

Found out from another Mom that DD2 did not have to start Kindergarten nor would I have to pull her from the program to do pre-school elsewhere but that she can do a third year in the program.

She currently receives PT, OT, ST at school this year and I had to fight the county program last year to have her retested as she was only receiving Speach at school last year.

We have been doing private PT for almost 18 months and will start private OT next month and are on the waiting list for ST.

So I don't think much of the "no kid left behind" program to me it is shove them forward so we don't look bad!

Roberta
Old 03-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have to say; the special services in my particular school district are outstanding. We have over 15% of our kids recieving some kind of special education services, and that does not include any of the services offered specifically through ESL programs.

What I am dissatisfied with is the fact that kids here are not being educated any more. They're being trained. Constant assessment exams, and very circumscribed curriculum maps are replacing the field trips, hans-on projects and classroom discussions that my older DD enjoyed.. Our district does well on standardized exams and our only Title I school makes adequate yearly progress, but the joy of exploring, questioning and taking time to realy educate the whole student is lost.

Our school taxes are some of the higest in the country, and our district can claim to do above average on state and federal testing levels.. but the kids are bored and uninspired. When they get into college they don't know how to explore and think. If a teacher doesn't review for an exam, they don't know how to study.

I'd rather see kids scoring lower on standardized tests and schools seeing where the defecits in their curricula are, than just training kids to do well on exams at the cost of a broad clasic education.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Val, my neighbor has complained about the same issues in our town's school. She has a 5th-grader and a 1st-grader, and she said that for WEEKS before the tests, her older child's class did nothing but test prep. She is convinced that if they had just spent those weeks doing the regular school work, the kids would be more than ready for the tests.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifestar
What I am dissatisfied with is the fact that kids here are not being educated any more. They're being trained. Constant assessment exams, and very circumscribed curriculum maps are replacing the field trips, hans-on projects and classroom discussions that my older DD enjoyed..
I couldn't agree more! It is very obvious in the school that my son attends this year. Especially in math, all they are concerned about is that the kids memorize the right answers, not focusing on how to figure out the answer to begin with.

Last month, my son missed 3 days of school with a stomach virus and the flu. I went to school and picked up his homework so that he would not fall behind. I am fortunate that school work seems to come very easily for Andy but he did have a question on how to figure some math word problems. I explained to him how to do it but added that he should ask his teacher to explain it him him, too, so that he would understand it better in her "math talk"--because she has a whole different way of explaining things. Want to know the answer she gave him when he asked her to explain it to him? She actually said " Oh, Don't worry about it now, we only studied it for 1 day and we are past that now so you don't really need to understand it. We were just touching on it for next year"

WHAT???!!!!! How can you look into the eyes of a straight A student ,who cares enough to want to get an explanation of something so that he can better understand it, and say "you really don't need to understand it now."

I was furious! I wrote a full page letter to her, plus I talked to her on the phone to let her know that I would never stand for her saying that to him again. I understand that many children in his class are so far behind that they will never catch up by the end of the year but don't hold Andy responsible for that!

IMO, The "No Child Left Behind" law is a bunch of crap! My son made the mistake of telling his teacher that we would probably be moving near the end of May. She called me, just about begging me not to pull him from her class then due to the fact that they will be having the EOG tests that week. The sad thing is that I really think that the school isn't concerned about whether or not he does take the tests but more so, WHERE he takes the tests. They are counting on him to bring in high scores for the school. UGH!!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 03-26-2007, 05:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I think No Child Left Behind, is hurting alot of our "average - below average kids". I also think all these EOG tests should be stopped, I think it is horrible to base so much on one test (alot of kids are poor test takers and this puts so much stress on the teachers and kids alike that it sets lots of them up for failure). I think our school system needs to be reformed. My son is a special needs (borderline) first part of each year he is ahead, after christmas (when the pace picks up he falls behind). Can not get teachers to even give me stuff to help him work on during summer. So that he will be with everyone else first of year. Frustrating. He is very smart but due to a few learning differences he has a hard time, putting this on papers etc... Does better verbally.

Deidra
Old 03-26-2007, 03:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Its not the law, its how the educational systems in our country chooses to deal with it. Its easier for them to train for the test than actually teach our children! Its like a big rubber stamp, pass or fail according to the standardized test for each school.
I don't think most of the schools here actually get what the "No Child Left Behind" law is. Its supposed to keep children from falling between the cracks. Equalizing our educational system, or at least this is my understanding. Not every child is a 4.0.
School administration is soley and
only concerned with keeping their school's numbers up, and its hurting our educational system! Instead of being concerned that each child learns, they only seem to groom them for the standardized test. Even in the accellerated classes, they groom them as test takers and fail to educate.

When my dd #2 (who is now 22) was in 4th grade they had to put a 4th grade & one 6th grade class together. Her teacher was wonderful! She allowed her students to study at their speed and push the ones that were slow. If they were having trouble with something the parents were made aware of it, and she would send "extra practice" home. She didn't like the term "homework" Her encouragement of the children and relentless teaching (real teaching) made a big difference in each of those children. She retired in 2005 because the schools are only interested in prepping the children for the standardized test. They focus the children only on what is on the test, and leave everything else out. Teachers are now forced to "stay on target" for the test, and have very little leaway to open the children's curiousity and teach them to reach out and seek their own answers. Children don't know how to study unless parents are aware enough to teach them. Most parents have faith their children are being taught the same reading, writting, and math they had to learn, and they're not!
One school here has a principal that went to a service unit at a privite school and asked for volenteer tudors for the hispanic children that speak very little English. The High School students are in Spanish classes and get college credit for helping tudor. Its a win / win situation and their school "numbers" ie test scores are up. This principal really had to do back flips to get this oked, but he went the extra mile for "His" kids. Wish all schools were lucky enough to have someone like him in their corner!

Vivian
Old 03-27-2007, 03:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Vivian, that tutoring program sounds excellent! Doing work like that also helps the high-school students reinforce their own skills. Definitely a win-win
Old 03-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Yes, everyone wins. The sad thing is if it were'nt "free" the principal wouldn't have been able to do it. The state must provide turtoring for these students, but to improve their language skills and basics. With the volenteer tutors however they teach English and help with ALL the school work the children are having trouble with on a one to one basis, and the children are teaching the tutors to use their Spanish. Both tutors and students win. Teachers are free to help other students (English speaking) with subjects they are having trouble with or answer questions from hispanic children because the language barrier isn't there.
One teacher told me that if more parents and grandparents got involved in the schools we could change the schools. Most of us have been taught to trust the "experts" and grudging go along, but she said to change our educational system, WE have to change it. It is our kids, we pay our taxes for this second rate education, we need to demand our money's worth!

Vivian