Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education

Education Daycare providers, teachers, homeschoolers, and parents. Gather here to share your thoughts and ideas.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:10 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Afterschooling

Does anyone here afterschool? Any benefits to this. I would love to homeschool but my family is not too convinced right now but love the idea of supplementing or afterschooling. Just looking for others who may be doing the same thing. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I haven't heard of this. Could you tell me a bit more about it please?
Old 12-14-2006, 05:47 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have never heard of afterschool either. I have homeschooled my children though.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 12-14-2006, 09:09 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Afterschooling is just like supplementing public school. My mother in law says I am not organized enough to homeschool and I can't do it right now because I am a full time student (nursing). But I was hoping to hs in 1 year.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:08 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Amazing, I had family who thought I couldn't do it either. One of my kids got a scharlorship after I homeschooled her. So, go for it!

Old 12-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Ditto here! I was able to afterschool in early elementary but then the homework started piling on. So we switched to doing family projects like making our own VCR/DVD changer for the TV, building model boats, taking the girls to target practice, etc. And the need for free play is grossly underestimated. Don't pile too much on the kids.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 12-15-2006, 02:16 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks, Debora43. I am hoping to fully start hsing in about a year. My only concern is that my in-laws watch the girls when I have to work. I plan on working only 3 days a week (nights) but I am hoping not to rely too much on them once I start hsing.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hmm, I didn't exactly 'after school' as a deliberate thing, but I guess we did a lot of stuff when the kids were in the early years. Things like making specific things, cooking, maths and reading games together. As they got a bit older, it dwindled, then came after school activities (gym, swimming, tennis, piano, drama ~ not all at once!)
Now it's homework and two activities each. That is plenty in our life at present.

I think if you believe you can do it, then give it a go. The absolute worst case scenario is that you send them back to school after 6 or twelve months, and there is nothing wrong with that!
Old 12-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I do additional work with dd1 after school and she loves it. I get free worksheets from www.homeschoolernetwork.com. She loves math and it seems like the school is more focused on writing so we do a lot of math worksheets at home. She's in 1st grade and is doing some simple multiplication. I just explained to her "how" multiplication works instead of trying to have her memorize the multiplication charts. I know in late 2nd grade or 3rd grade she'll have to memorize them, but I like that she'll know how they came up with the answers instead of just memorizing the chart.

I have a dry erase board in my kitchen and I have a little chart. My best friend was a 1st grade teacher so she advised me to not try to work on every subject every night because my dd needs time to just be a kid also. We do a different subject/topic each night...writing, math, money, telling time, English (grammer/vocab), multiplication and then we read every night.

DD2 is 4 and she's picked up on a lot just by listening to me and dd1.

I would love to homeschool but I would have zero support from family. Homeschooling is pretty popular inthe county I live in but it's still frowned upon by most. I don't know that I could be disciplined enough or have enough patience when they don't want to work or when they won't focus. It seems like each week I meet another family around me who homeschools. I'm always fascinated and drill them with a lot of questions.

Good luck and do what you feel is the right decision for your kids.

Have a great day!

Mindy

Unnecessary possessions are unnecessary burdens...Chinese Fortune Cookie
Old 12-15-2006, 06:00 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My in-laws cried when I told them I was going to homeschool. I also had zero support as well, except for other homeschoolers, which were few and far between in my little Mayberry-like town. But, by the time I put my kids in high school, my DD made straight As and even got a scholarship to college, which she did not use. My DS was/is severely dyslexic (he also has Tourette's Syndrome) and was going into the 3rd grade from public school and still could NOT read. The school refused to test him for dyslexia too. I did not know I had the right to make them test him or have him tested and make them pay for it. I had him reading after about a month of schooling. They were tiny words, but it boosted his confidence as he just thought he was stupid, which he wasn't.

Good luck to all who decide to homeschool or afterschool.