FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Education (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/education/)
-   -   School bans tag, other chase games---Your Opinion? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/education/18044-school-bans-tag-other-chase-games-your-opinion.html)

ajrsmom 10-20-2006 04:48 AM

School bans tag, other chase games---Your Opinion?

School bans tag, other chase games

ATTLEBORO, Massachusetts (AP) -- Tag, you're out!
Officials at an elementary school south of Boston have banned kids from playing tag, touch football and any other unsupervised chase game during recess for fear they'll get hurt and hold the school liable.
Recess is "a time when accidents can happen," said Willett Elementary School Principal Gaylene Heppe, who approved the ban.
While there is no districtwide ban on contact sports during recess, local rules have been cropping up. Several school administrators around Attleboro, a city of about 45,000 residents, took aim at dodgeball a few years ago, saying it was exclusionary and dangerous. (Watch how second-grader Kelsey interpreted the rule -- 1:30)
Elementary schools in Cheyenne, Wyoming, and Spokane, Washington, also recently banned tag during recess. A suburban Charleston, South Carolina, school outlawed all unsupervised contact sports.
"I think that it's unfortunate that kids' lives are micromanaged and there are social skills they'll never develop on their own," said Debbie Laferriere, who has two children at Willett, about 40 miles south of Boston. "Playing tag is just part of being a kid."
Another Willett parent, Celeste D'Elia, said her son feels safer because of the rule. "I've witnessed enough near collisions," she said.

**from CNN.com

What are your opinions on this?

ajrsmom 10-20-2006 05:02 AM

My personal opinion is that I think that it is sad that kids can no longer be kids in school. I think that the schools are contradicting themselves by saying that our kids need more physical activities during school BUT then they set out to take away all games like this.

You can no longer play tag, flag football, kick ball (contact sports) and in some schools, they are no longer allowed to play on jungle gyms because they might get hurt.

Do you know what my son does in school for P.E. a lot? They walk laps. Granted, walking is good for you but for an elementary school aged kid, it is BORING!!
What happened to volleyball, basketball, ...even square dancing? (Ok, I am showing my age with the last suggestion but we had a blast in school learning how to do this. Dancing is a great form of exercise)

The only "sport" that I would agree that is too aggressive is Dodgeball.

His school doesn't allow unstructured recess after lunch either. They play games that the kids are expected to take part in. What ever happened to allowing kids to blow off steam? They wonder why the kids are so wound up in class, why they act out and cause interuptions. IMO, these kids aren't old enough to sit through structured teaching all day without a chance to relax or to run around and goof off.

I'm wondering what they are hoping that the end results will be from this?

RobertaD 10-20-2006 11:10 AM

My daughter is in a public school this year in 5th grade, the building was a junior high school when I was a kid so there is no playground equipment. They have a couple of 4 squares painted on the lot, and two basketball hoops. The kids go down the hill and run around on the flood plain next to the river. They only have gym once a week as well.

When I was a kid we didn't plan dodgeball at recess but in gym class.

Roberta

DeBora4BobbyL 10-30-2006 04:47 AM

I am wondering if schools such as this have had to resort to this because of sue-happy people?

cau 10-30-2006 07:37 AM

I think it is pretty sad.If a child get hurt playing it has to be someone fault nowadays. Kids run & fall & get bumped, it is part of being a child. We seem to try and manage every part of their life then wonder why thye can't manage as young adults. We never give them a chance to just learn things on their own. :hallcat:

DeBora4BobbyL 10-30-2006 07:41 AM

I am with you Cau!

rachela30 10-30-2006 11:14 AM

It is sad. If the kids can't run and chase someone, how are they going to burn off that wonderful pizza they were just served for lunch? I know, it is not that bad, but if you take away their hostile play, they are just going to get in trouble in the classroom. I am sure DeBora's comment in sue happy people is right. I am just going to be thankful they still have recess but if the schools ban that here, I am going to put my opinion in. Good luck all,. Rachel

dval 10-30-2006 05:04 PM

I don't think they should take away the rougher games. I agree that the kids need a way to burn off steam without a teacher breathing down their necks. The only one I don't like is dodgeball. As far as I remember, that was only played during gym when I was growing up. Lunch time was usually tag or somthing like that.

rachela30 10-30-2006 05:08 PM

It is a wonder all of us are still alive. I am hoping they don't start making them wear protective gear on the playground! lol. Rachel

mom2-4 10-31-2006 03:39 AM

I think this is crazy. I know when we went to school, we played what we wanted to play. Whether it was getting in on a game of dodge ball, kick ball, the jungle gym, tether ball, tag, playing dolls, or just sitting and talking.

I for one did fracture my wrist on the playground in 5th grade. I fell off the jungle gym. Guess what?? I lived to tell about it, and there was NO law suit involved. Just some dr visits!!

But, now a days it is crazy! If one of my children were to have a dr visit due to an injury at school, the insurance would send a questionairre asking all about the injury, how it happened, and check to see if the school is responsible. So, in actuality, could this all be the insurance companies fault??

Where did the suing start? The injured person? The insurance? Or lawyers? or maybe drs? makes you wonder.

And now a days with the phenomenal cost of medical bills, due to the suing, you almost have to sue just to make sure you don't go to the poor house, and have to live on the streets! Believe me, i know!