Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Education Daycare providers, teachers, homeschoolers, and parents. Gather here to share your thoughts and ideas.

Old 11-04-2006, 04:05 AM
Nine Year Member

My dh in elementary school saw a kid bust his bladder because the teacher would not let him go to the bathroom. It was very serious and involved a septic operation. The philosophy of controlling a classroom should not extend to this area. The plumbing and control for many children is not complete until after age 12. Sometimes they can't tell when and how much and if they need to go.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 11-04-2006, 06:02 AM
Nine Year Member

WOW when I was in elementary 6 classes had recess at the same time which would have been 120-150 kids in the bathroom for 15 min at 10, 11:30 & 2 recesses.

I can't imagine it now when they only get the 11:30 recess unless their teacher takes them outside. They have to allow bathroom breaks.

Roberta
Old 11-04-2006, 08:28 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My youngest ds, 12, had to go to the bathroom this week and the teacher would not let him go because too many kids had already asked and gone to the bathroom. He was in agony!!! Holding it is extremely unhealthy and can cause bladder infections among other things (such as humiliation and embarrassment if you have an accident.) My dh and I have told all of our children that if they have to go to the bathroom and the teacher refuses to let them, to just walk out and go to the bathroom. If they get a detention or any kind of punishment for that then my dh and I will go to the school and fight for them because it is so wrong of a teacher not to let a child use the bathroom. Hopefully next time my ds will do this. I believe most teachers are goodhearted, and that not that many dks abuse the bathroom privledges. I would like to think there are not any sadistic teachers out there who refuse to let children go just to be mean. But honestly, punishing a child by taking away recess time because they have to go is just not fair!!!